Golf: All purpose golf discussion (The PGA Tour’s 2019-20 schedule in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Dustin Johnson is going to go down as the David Duval of the 2010s.
Great player, just one major title.
I know it was a decade ago, but I still think he got jobbed in 2010 at Whistling Straits.

DJ might be one of the biggest chokers in PGA history.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
No point in expending energy in the biggest clown tournament of the year. Fully expect Rickie to come from behind and bag yet another win at this tournament tomorrow.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The guy blatantly cheated and tried to get away with it. What is there to defend? He's a fat, cheating, douche that can't accept that fact that he cheated and tried to get away with it

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This kind of stuff is appalling. If they are caught blatantly cheating, you DQ them and maybe institute a suspension. You need to have some people on site from the Tour who are going to make a decision about whether the player was cheating, not rules officials to confirm something they are supposed to be doing on their own. You can follow the rules of golf when it's something stupid. No other sport would give such a light punishment for blatant and deceitful cheating.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Happy for Henrik! Didn't think he had it in him anymore.

Basically my only wish for him is that he can have one more serious go at a major.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Brandel & the rest of Golf Channel want so bad to make Reed seem like the worst person in the history of golf to play the game. He moved some sand in an 18 person tournament, got penalized 2 shots and moved on. Saying “oh he tried to get away with it”. If there’s any tournament you’re not, it’s that one with only 18 players haha.

After his presser just now Brandel says “he stood there and smiled with his hands behind his back like someone who hadn’t just committed a crime.” You would have thought he beat one of the other players with a club.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Brandel & the rest of Golf Channel want so bad to make Reed seem like the worst person in the history of golf to play the game. He moved some sand in an 18 person tournament, got penalized 2 shots and moved on. Saying “oh he tried to get away with it”. If there’s any tournament you’re not, it’s that one with only 18 players haha.

After his presser just now Brandel says “he stood there and smiled with his hands behind his back like someone who hadn’t just committed a crime.” You would have thought he beat one of the other players with a club.

That's a laughable take.

Reed has a history of cheating, he got busted again and keeps lying about it. He should be called a cheater and he should be remembered as a cheater more than a Masters Champion or anything else he does the rest of his career.

s-l300.jpg

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s not that he gained so much, it’s the concept of cheating. Golf talks so much about how it’s players police themselves compared to other sports. When someone cheats, it’s more of a black mark than if someone traveled in the NBA or held someone in the NFL. And if you break the rules, you are expected to call a penalty on yourself. Reed claims he did nothing wrong, and he has a history of breaking the rules, potentially cheating, depending on your view of what he’s done.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
That's fine, call him a cheater, whatever. Equating it to a "crime" is a little ridiculous.

He got the 2 stroke penalty & ultimately lost the tournament by that amount. Move on.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea of wanting to increase the punishments for some stuff. For example, doesn't make much sense that using a different model ball gets you a DQ while some actions only get you 2 strokes. I mean Phil blatantly stopping the ball in the US Open is worse than what Reed did here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the whole culture around these instances is too chummy. No one wants to make any decisions to upset anyone. Slugger White called Patrick Reed a gentleman for how he dealt with this, as if Reed had gotten a bad break as opposed to completely bringing the situation upon himself. I don’t know if the quote that NLU talks about constantly with Slugger White saying he doesn’t want to effect the chance of someone’s kid going to college is true, but if it is, that’s a microcosm if the issue.

What Phil did was a stain on his career, in my opinion, but he had already done worse in Mexico a year prior violating the spirit of the rules. All my respect for him was gone after that Mexico incident. Phil should’ve had a long suspension for his US Open tantrum. I consider him a cheater. I also consider Tiger a cheater, and I’ve long been a fan, but cheating has no place in the game. I’m not going to defend when any of these guys cheat.

These are pampered millionaires. If they are going to do these types of things, instill some punishment to deter them. They play a game for a living. It’s asking very little to play by the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad