Golf: All purpose golf discussion (The PGA Tour’s 2019-20 schedule in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Your most important club at this stage is the Driver. Learn how to hit at least 200 with some consistency off the tee. Practice, practice, practice.

Until you can you won't have any fun on the course, anybody who plays with you won't either, and you'll drive whomever is playing behind you absolutely nuts.

I'm pretty sure I'll have fun no matter what happens. Golf is fun to me despite how challenging it is. My driver is getting way better and landing 250-275 consistently I have no idea how far it rolls after that, but my local course isn't a driving course most of the holes are pretty short, I might hit a 5 wood on a couple but otherwise it's mostly par 3's and 4's

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Great advice and something I've absolutely thought about.

Problem is this whole COVID thing......and also my finances.

I'd like to take one lesson next year and try and hang on to every bit of it.

I've been able to really progress by watching certain YouTube videos though I must say. But the most important things that have stayed with me is let the club do the work and experiment with my grip a bit, the rest of it seems to just be developing a swing where you're hitting the ball square to the face and in the sweet spot as consistently as you can. And I've actually really improved lately and now I'm focusing on aiming the ball as though I were on an actual golf course.

I'm at the point now where I think I could actually go to a golf course and do ok. What a great game golf is though for someone like me getting older (42) can't really take up too many other activities seriously at this point in my life. Always loved golf just seems unaffordable until you get some clubs and realize it's not necessarily that expensive, but it really looks expensive when you're just starting out.

I hear you. You mentioned it, but if you find a good enough coach, then all you need to do is give yourself one lesson to diagnose the major swing flaws and then work on those for as long as you need to. My coach is about a seven-hour drive away and I'm not made of money, so I only see him about once a year, if that. Ideally, I'd be able to see him a lot more often, but it's not necessary if you really stay focused and practice the things you worked on.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I hear you. You mentioned it, but if you find a good enough coach, then all you need to do is give yourself one lesson to diagnose the major swing flaws and then work on those for as long as you need to. My coach is about a seven-hour drive away and I'm not made of money, so I only see him about once a year, if that. Ideally, I'd be able to see him a lot more often, but it's not necessary if you really stay focused and practice the things you worked on.

I'm curious if these days taking a lesson also includes a video that you can re-watch? That would be really helpful.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Playoff at the Scottish Open. Fleetwood and Rai. This'll be interesting.

Robert Rock bogeyed 18 to miss the playoff by one. Made a very dumb decision not pulling putter right off the green. Tried to chip it in for the win, runs it 10 feet past, and misses the putt. Wouldn't have been more than a few feet for par if he putted it.

For those that missed, third round was one of the true bad weather days you'll see in pro golf. It's been fun golf to watch.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fleetwood misses a short putt on the first playoff hole to lose it. Great swing, but thats been what's troubled his career.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
He had six putts at eagle today. That sounds impossible. He shot 59 in the pro-am yesterday.

He said he’s going to unveil a new driver at the Masters that he hits longer than the current one.
I know a lot golf guys don’t care for the guy but I think he’s good for the game. A gofer that despite his personality will bring more fans. Nothing like Tiger obviously but more interest in the game. Just my 2 cents

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Lowest 36 hole cut in tour history at -7 yesterday (helped that the cut is now 65 golfers instead of 70).

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Dustin, Bryson, Jon, and Rory. Those are my favorites to win the Masters. 100% chance one of them wins.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wonder if he was using that new driver on the Range at Shriners because he apparently was carrying a 350 yard fence and had to move all the way back to try and keep the balls inside the fence. could have just been his 110% swing he sometimes does on the course though.

it'll be using maximum length of shaft required 4 feet. With his strength and swing speed and that extra length of stick, that shit is going to have to be stiff as a motherf***er, which I think is part of the hold up.

apparently the goal is 210 mp/h ball speed. i wonder what that translates to in avg. carry dist.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'm pretty sure I'll have fun no matter what happens. Golf is fun to me despite how challenging it is. My driver is getting way better and landing 250-275 consistently I have no idea how far it rolls after that, but my local course isn't a driving course most of the holes are pretty short, I might hit a 5 wood on a couple but otherwise it's mostly par 3's and 4's

I mean if that's true, that's essentially what scratch handicappers average off the tee. So on an average length par 4, that would be leaving yourself a wedge in hand assuming you're landing near or in the fairway.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wonder if he was using that new driver on the Range at Shriners because he apparently was carrying a 350 yard fence and had to move all the way back to try and keep the balls inside the fence. could have just been his 110% swing he sometimes does on the course though.

it'll be using maximum length of shaft required 4 feet. With his strength and swing speed and that extra length of stick, that shit is going to have to be stiff as a motherf***er, which I think is part of the hold up.

apparently the goal is 210 mp/h ball speed. i wonder what that translates to in avg. carry dist.

One thing I didn't think about that I saw brought up recently was how far he could have into some of these holes at the Masters. Think of #2 or #15. What if he carries it all the way onto the downslope of both of those holes? By the time the ball is finished rolling, he could have 100-150 yards into those holes theoretically.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Schauffele's first time back since the 5th place US Open finish without missing a beat. 7 birdies on his first 9 holes, no bogeys, and a 64 finish today.

Wolff at +11 and dead last after the playoff loss on Sunday is really striking to me. Did that really get to him?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Dustin, Bryson, Jon, and Rory. Those are my favorites to win the Masters. 100% chance one of them wins.

I'm not so sure about Rory. The Masters is his only obstacle from the Grand Slam but I don't think has the chops to edge out the other big players in the field while also likely having the GS on his mind. I'd love to see it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad