All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion - Please Send All HC/Starat Campaign Donations To Cap’s Venmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
So, story time:
Back in 2015 my childhood dog was put down on January 15th, because his hind legs weren’t working. On February 20th, 2015, i licensed a song to ESPN to use during their Sunday Night Baseball season.

The very next day i answered a Craig’s List add to buy a synthesizer that i felt i would reward myself with after the money i made from ESPN. I went to a house that ended up essentially being a drug den. I could smell this guy’s infected track marks when i walked in the door. It was vile, obviously.

They had a few puppies that they were selling, and under these deplorable conditions, i felt i was better served buying a puppy and calling Animal Control than buying this synthesizer.

So i left with a Chiweenie and called Animal Control.

I did a facebook poll, and everyone pretty much unanimously agreed to name him Claude (it was between Claude, Hermes and Rufus).

In 13 days, I have a song about him coming out. I decided to write a song about how much i love him, but also the existential reality that comes with being a dog dad.

The coolest side note is, when i went home with Claude, I looked up the sellers on Craig’s List, and they said the puppies were born
on January 16th, the day after Duke was put down.

Here's the "Cover" for the single:

Attachments

• gregsportrait1.jpg
    gregsportrait1.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 3

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I chose a really bad time to stop drinking...

have not had a single drink in 8 days now. Which is the longest time I have gone since February 2017. (when I did 30 days just to prove I could to some people aha.)

Interested to see how long I manage to go...

Basically coronavirus has meant:

No sports
No travelling
No bars
No restaurants
No cinema
No girlfriend
No gym
No swimming pool
No seeing friends

which are probably 9/10 of my favourite things (not in that order). And alcohol into that and I have 10/10 gone. :laugh:

(joking ofc, watching films, music, photography, reading, cooking, spending time with siblings, running and hiking in countryside are also amongst my favourite things... and can still do all of them!)

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Part of the issue is tackling though... hard enough to go from League to Union with the difference in tackling, hold+release etc. Never a guarantee a great League player will be a great Union player, and same the other way around.

If an NFL skill player was to play they would likely be C, W, FB... all three you have to be able to tackle so well or you aint making top level no matter how athletic or skilled you are. Ofc it can be taught... but a lot of guys in UK have made Superleague debuts, got a few tries over first ten games, made offensive impacts and then been released... as their position defence and tackling was mediocre. And then at C, W, FB you also have the kicking issue. Hard to be really high level without being able to at least place a ball well. And then IQ to see best passes... when to kick... where gaps will develop... when to try and hold it up and get support, when to take it to next phase on purpose.

Of course I am 100% sure some guys would be able to adapt and be good players. But some would just suck or be mediocre. I guess that some random special teamers here and there in the NFL would be international level after a year, whereas some NFL stars would not be able to play in even Superleague or NRL.

I am 100% you know all that and thought of it though! :laugh:

Played with/against a few future Superleague players... best player I ever shared a field (in training, he was year above me so never got to play alongside him sadly!) with was probably the smallest and least impressive physically at only 5'6 and ~160lbs at the time (now 190ish!)... just insane game IQ and kicking game along with great athleticism. (Kyle Eastmond... but I mean, might have been best player in UK in league for a year... switched to Union and is just "pretty good".)
There are quite a few league guys that went to union and dominated.

Ma’a Nonu
Brad Thorne
Jason Robertson
Owen Farrell
Loti Takiri
Israel folau

There is more, Thats off the top of my head

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
There are quite a few league guys that went to union and dominated.

Ma’a Nonu
Brad Thorne
Jason Robertson
Owen Farrell
Loti Takiri
Israel folau

There is more, Thats off the top of my head

Oh yeh... Robinson is one of my favourites ever! And Gareth Thomas came the other way and was very good (albeit I do think it is harder to come from Union to League than the other way around in general...)

But then you have:

Lesley Vainikolo
Chris Ashton
Sam Burgess
Andy Farrell
Kyle Eastmond

etc...

who were/are all "pretty good" Union players... but just not close to the player they were in league. (though I do think Burgess was better than the press said in Union, he was the "Northern" scapegoat for England f***ing up in 2015.)

Reactions: Asnito and VladDrag

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
No offense, but do you sit on your computer all day looking up all the doomsday articles you can find and post them here?

Sorry about the unpleasant truths out there...not like we don't have a serious situation. Don't have to be "nasty" about it though. I think I balance humor with seriousness enough on here but I can understand how this one would strike a nerve as it is doomsday.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

have not had a single drink in 8 days now. Which is the longest time I have gone since February 2017. (when I did 30 days just to prove I could to some people aha.)

No sports
No travelling
No bars
No restaurants
No cinema
No girlfriend
No gym
No swimming pool
No seeing friends

which are probably 9/10 of my favourite things (not in that order). And alcohol into that and I have 10/10 gone. :laugh:

(joking ofc, watching films, music, photography, reading, cooking, spending time with siblings, running and hiking in countryside are also amongst my favourite things... and can still do all of them!)
Very doomsday...:sarcasm:

Reactions: Appleyard

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Sorry about the unpleasant truths out there...not like we don't have a serious situation. Don't have to be "nasty" about it though. I think I balance humor with seriousness enough on here but I can understand how this one would strike a nerve as it is doomsday.
Sorry just giving you a hard time. Definitely a scary time we're in right now

Reactions: Carter Hart

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sorry just giving you a hard time. Definitely a scary time we're in right now
It's all good bro. I am actually looking forward to my virtual date later tonight with this smoking Austrialian-UK-Korean girl that now lives in the US/King of Prussia that I "met" on Bumble....lol. Should be fun...I guess. I praised her on her country's pandemic response...I think that hooked her in!

I honestly hope we can get back to normal. Hiking in the Wissahickon as I write...staking out a doomsday cave..lol.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Had to venture back to my flat today to get some stuff in case actually fully locked down in near future.

Was actually pleasantly surprised how few people were out and about... especially as no "rule/law" in place about it yet. Just advice.

The city (Manchester) was about 10% as busy as usually would be on a Saturday. Some streets just completely deserted with no-one in sight.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The "coughing on produce" thing reminded me of a Czech guy who put on facebook basically the following: "I have contracted coronavirus and now I am going to shops, licking bread and pastry."
Police got to him in a matter of hours. Funny thing? Spreading messages that could cause disorder get you a bit higher punishment when the country is in state of emergency.... He may end up in jail for 8 years.

Natural selection and so..

Darwin would be proud.

Reactions: kudymen

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

No sports
No travelling
No bars
No restaurants
No cinema
No girlfriend
No gym
No swimming pool
No seeing friends

If I had to get through this without booze, well, let’s just say that the coronavirus would be the least of my neighbors worries!!

Also can someone give me a heads up if this thing mutates into Captain Trips. I have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue that I’ve been saving for a special occasion and I’d hate to croak before I got around to drinking it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad