All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion - Please Send All HC/Starat Campaign Donations To Cap’s Venmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
@FLYguy3911 This is your fault. It's now been zero days since Chinese (Szechuan) food.

TOvV7xfr.jpg
Did you order for the whole neighborhood?

My new activity list during social isolation...
1. Finish a bunch of crap my wife asked me to do months ago.
2. Drink beer and catch up on shows I've been meaning to watch.
3. Play with the kids in the yard.

I spent a ridiculous amount of money at Levante on takeout the other day. They make some really tasty beers.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Did you order for the whole neighborhood?

My new activity list during social isolation...
1. Finish a bunch of crap my wife asked me to do months ago.
2. Drink beer and catch up on shows I've been meaning to watch.
3. Play with the kids in the yard.

I spent a ridiculous amount of money at Levante on takeout the other day. They make some really tasty beers.

If you're going to get takeout/delivery right now, how could you not get enough for a bunch of meals?

Reactions: Chinatown88

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
sfqSOL0r.jpg

4ScOJrYr.jpg

Thermonuclear (actually hot, not white person hot) hot pot with pressed tofu, long hot peppers, etc. Second one is Dan Dan Noodles. This is mine.

YKLRcu8r.jpg

Mao's Pork Belly

cn3YdiRr.jpg

Dumplings in chil oil. Also thermonuclear.

And a bunch more stuff. Too busy eating.

I know all about real hot vs white hot. Ordering food from around here can get adventurous really fast.

We have a very large Korean immigrant population here. I asked a friend how he eats like that daily. He said the bleeding intestinal ulcers eventually become calluses

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is it as risky as shopping in a crowded grocery store?
I think so.

Going to the store once and stocking up on as much as possible (I got a bunch of stuff that will last a long time, so I probably don't need to buy anything else for a few weeks) and then cooking your own meals seems much safer than trusting the cleanliness standards of any restaurant.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I know all about real hot vs white hot. Ordering food from around here can get adventurous really fast.

We have a very large Korean immigrant population here. I asked a friend how he eats like that daily. He said the bleeding intestinal ulcers eventually become calluses

Are you trying to sell me on Virginia as a tourist destination? Because large Asian communities with family-run restaurants are an attraction in my book.

Also yes. This is how you dull the pain. You suffer for years, then it doesn't matter anymore.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Are you trying to sell me on Virginia as a tourist destination? Because large Asian communities with family-run restaurants are an attraction in my book.

Also yes. This is how you dull the pain. You suffer for years, then it doesn't matter anymore.

We have plenty here. Korean BBQ, numerous restuarants, a brewery in town, a fantastic American style restaurant and brewery that makes everything in-house, easy access to multiple other breweries and wineries, a great BBQ place nearby, the Udvar-Hazy Air And Space Museum (part of the Smithsonian, this is worth an entire day all on its own).

If you're into history you'll notice that we had a bit of a civil war fought here.

Alexandria VA is another low-key great spot. You can spend a weekend just food-touring King Street and it has easy Metro Access from there to DC.

My co-worker is Asian and has a much better spice immunity than I do. We have a chain from Korea here called Choong Man which basically makes Korean Popeyes chicken. Their spicy garlic sauce is possibly the spiciest meal I've ever tasted*. They have an even spicier pepper sauce which I seek to try during my Isolation, if I can. My co-worker told me even he found it brutal. I'm scared, but this has to be done.

*The Last Dab sauce my boss brought in (of Hot Ones fame) doesn't count because I didn't taste or feel it. It's so hot it worked as a local anesthetic. My mouth went numb, I didn't taste or feel anything until it calmed down enough to be easily bearable. My boss and co-worker had a much worse time because it didn't overwhelm them like that due to their higher tolerances.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We have plenty here. Korean BBQ, numerous restuarants, a brewery in town, a fantastic American style restaurant and brewery that makes everything in-house, easy access to multiple other breweries and wineries, a great BBQ place nearby, the Udvar-Hazy Air And Space Museum (part of the Smithsonian, this is worth an entire day all on its own).

If you're into history you'll notice that we had a bit of a civil war fought here.

Alexandria VA is another low-key great spot. You can spend a weekend just food-touring King Street and it has easy Metro Access from there to DC.

My co-worker is Asian and has a much better spice immunity than I do. We have a chain from Korea here called Choong Man which basically makes Korean Popeyes chicken. Their spicy garlic sauce is possibly the spiciest meal I've ever tasted*. They have an even spicier pepper sauce which I seek to try during my Isolation, if I can. My co-worker told me even he found it brutal. I'm scared, but this has to be done.

*The Last Dab sauce my boss brought in (of Hot Ones fame) doesn't count because I didn't taste or feel it. It's so hot it worked as a local anesthetic. My mouth went numb, I didn't taste or feel anything until it calmed down enough to be easily bearable. My boss and co-worker had a much worse time because it didn't overwhelm them like that due to their higher tolerances.

Oh god Korean Fried Chicken chains. Now we're really talking. I'd rather do that than wings every time.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Once came back from training super, super late... takeaways all closed, supermarkets all closed... parents have nothing much in fridge.

However, the corner shop near my parents (old) house was still open, though closing in 5 mins.

Had a great relationship with the owner, Shah, who was originally from Pakistan (though you would never know it, speaks better English with no accent than the average Mancunian!), he is maybe ~20-25 years older than me but a cool as hell guy.

Used to lend him the Star Wars video games as he played them in the shop at times and he reciprocated with video games, films etc... and always had random stuff in just for me that no-one else bought (Parathas, Kulfi... try both if you never have! And also specific ciders I liked).

Anyway, this evening got in there and asked if he had anything meal wise. He did not, as really only sold snacks, chocolate, magazines, desserts, bread, eggs... just basic stuff, and wanted something to eat ASAP as had done ~4 hours training.

But then he gets a glint in his eye, tells me to wait, and goes in the back, and brings me down a curry that his wife made him for the day and he had not eaten.

It was AMAZING. But god damn. Hottest thing I have ever eaten, I was crying. I love spicy food generally and grew up in an area with a lot of South Asian immigration, so exposed to a lot of spicy food... but that was something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad