All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion - Please Send All HC/Starat Campaign Donations To Cap’s Venmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh god Korean Fried Chicken chains. Now we're really talking. I'd rather do that than wings every time.

It's really, really good. We have a place called BBQ Chicken and Beer which makes something called Gonjang (sp?) chicken which is fantastic and it's all I've ever had because I don't need anything else. We have a Bonchon too, which is good, but the competition is really strong.

What's interesting is that I've had Bonchon from three different locations, and they make it spicier at my Bonchon, probably for the locals.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah. You save the extra sauce and reheat that, but the pasta? Just make new pasta and put the sauce which has spent extra time blending together on it.

It is only acceptable with an al forno pasta dish in my eyes... and then have to make sure that no loose ends on top in terms of pasta with no cheese or sauce as it will dry out on reheating... and also only do it in the oven on a medium heat over a decent span of time.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I used to be a big fan of Han Dynasty off Chestnut, but it's been very meh the last couple of times I was there. The Dan Dan noodles were way too coated with peanut oil.

Yeah, there are times it can be a little off, but it’s usually great. It depends on who’s in the kitchen there. Han is an interesting guy. :laugh:

I haven’t had quite as good luck with some of the other locations. Still good though.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm going to pretend this was never said.

I'm gonna boo this opinion. Only Sausage and Peppers are better the next day.

Yeah. You save the extra sauce and reheat that, but the pasta? Just make new pasta and put the sauce which has spent extra time blending together on it.

Re-heated pasta? I am going to close this thread now and come back once the new thread is open..

zRA6aa0.gif

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, there are times it can be a little off, but it’s usually great. It depends on who’s in the kitchen there. Han is an interesting guy. :laugh:

I haven’t had quite as good luck with some of the other locations. Still good though.
The Cherry Hill location is trash. Went once to avoid Center City. Will never go back.

The double cooked pork belly dish on the Chestnut menu is my go to. It's only like a 4 or 5, so I usually ask them to kick it up a notch.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Part of the issue is tackling though... hard enough to go from League to Union with the difference in tackling, hold+release etc. Never a guarantee a great League player will be a great Union player, and same the other way around.

If an NFL skill player was to play they would likely be C, W, FB... all three you have to be able to tackle so well or you aint making top level no matter how athletic or skilled you are. Ofc it can be taught... but a lot of guys in UK have made Superleague debuts, got a few tries over first ten games, made offensive impacts and then been released... as their position defence and tackling was mediocre. And then at C, W, FB you also have the kicking issue. Hard to be really high level without being able to at least place a ball well. And then IQ to see best passes... when to kick... where gaps will develop... when to try and hold it up and get support, when to take it to next phase on purpose.

Of course I am 100% sure some guys would be able to adapt and be good players. But some would just suck or be mediocre. I guess that some random special teamers here and there in the NFL would be international level after a year, whereas some NFL stars would not be able to play in even Superleague or NRL.

I am 100% you know all that and thought of it though! :laugh:

Played with/against a few future Superleague players... best player I ever shared a field (in training, he was year above me so never got to play alongside him sadly!) with was probably the smallest and least impressive physically at only 5'6 and ~160lbs at the time (now 190ish!)... just insane game IQ and kicking game along with great athleticism. (Kyle Eastmond... but I mean, might have been best player in UK in league for a year... switched to Union and is just "pretty good".)
Sports IQ is definitely a thing to be considered and I'm sure it would take a couple of years for a team USA to compete with Tonga, Fiji, Samoa etc... Also the kicking game is the elephant in the room when it comes to switching from football to league but damn a guy like Saquon Barkley running from dummy half would be a handful.

Reactions: Appleyard

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
There are quite a few league guys that went to union and dominated.

Ma’a Nonu
Brad Thorne
Jason Robertson
Owen Farrell
Loti Takiri
Israel folau

There is more, Thats off the top of my head
How is Radradra doing?

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
sfqSOL0r.jpg

4ScOJrYr.jpg

Thermonuclear (actually hot, not white person hot) hot pot with pressed tofu, long hot peppers, etc. Second one is Dan Dan Noodles. This is mine.

YKLRcu8r.jpg

Mao's Pork Belly

cn3YdiRr.jpg

Dumplings in chil oil. Also thermonuclear.

And a bunch more stuff. Too busy eating.

Wow! Spicy food is my therapy. Looks amazing! Have you tried Hunan cuisine Jojo?

I know all about real hot vs white hot. Ordering food from around here can get adventurous really fast.

We have a very large Korean immigrant population here. I asked a friend how he eats like that daily. He said the bleeding intestinal ulcers eventually become calluses

Hmmm, I never thought about this. I must have ulcers through every part of my intestines.

Once came back from training super, super late... takeaways all closed, supermarkets all closed... parents have nothing much in fridge.

However, the corner shop near my parents (old) house was still open, though closing in 5 mins.

Had a great relationship with the owner, Shah, who was originally from Pakistan (though you would never know it, speaks better English with no accent than the average Mancunian!), he is maybe ~20-25 years older than me but a cool as hell guy.

Used to lend him the Star Wars video games as he played them in the shop at times and he reciprocated with video games, films etc... and always had random stuff in just for me that no-one else bought (Parathas, Kulfi... try both if you never have! And also specific ciders I liked).

Anyway, this evening got in there and asked if he had anything meal wise. He did not, as really only sold snacks, chocolate, magazines, desserts, bread, eggs... just basic stuff, and wanted something to eat ASAP as had done ~4 hours training.

But then he gets a glint in his eye, tells me to wait, and goes in the back, and brings me down a curry that his wife made him for the day and he had not eaten.

It was AMAZING. But god damn. Hottest thing I have ever eaten, I was crying. I love spicy food generally and grew up in an area with a lot of South Asian immigration, so exposed to a lot of spicy food... but that was something else.

I tried Pakistani food for the first time a few months ago. It was hot! All of you have now gotten me craving some delicious spicy food.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Wow! Spicy food is my therapy. Looks amazing! Have you tried Hunan cuisine Jojo?

Funny story. The restaurant that came from is actually Hunan. I have no idea why I said Szechuan. So yes. We get it reasonably often. :laugh:

Other than Hunan and Szechuan, the only Chinese provincial specialty food I get too often is Xi’an, but if anyone knows a good place to try from another province, I’m all ears.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Honestly haven’t followed union in any real capacity other than the large tournaments, but I don’t think he’s taken to it as well as expected
Would love to see him back in the NRL. As far as Union it's an absolute mystery how it's so much more popular than League.

I started watching rugby 10 years ago not knowing there was even different codes and IMO Union is like watching baseball while League is like watching hockey.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Funny story. The restaurant that came from is actually Hunan. I have no idea why I said Szechuan. So yes. We get it reasonably often. :laugh:

Other than Hunan and Szechuan, the only Chinese provincial specialty food I get too often is Xi’an, but if anyone knows a good place to try from another province, I’m all ears.

We have a very authentic hot pot place near me. I went in and I asked what the average person might eat on a street. They served me a seafood soup that they said would be familiar to sailors, fishermen, and dockworkers.

I was in way over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->