All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XI: Will We Go Through A Thread This Weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
My course just announced they are going to open on Friday. Originally they weren't going to, so I was looking at some other courses. The one course we were looking at spaced the tee times 15 minutes apart, rather than their typical 8-10 minutes, if you take a cart, only one person per cart. All payment is done online and the golf shop wasn't letting anyone in.

Since my course is going to open on Friday now, I'll be going there. They haven't said what they are doing about tee times, and since I have a membership I don't have to pay, but they are only going to accept tee times booked online so that it's already paid for. I usually never warm up, so I'll be staying away from the practice area. I just want to be able to get out there, hit the ball around and get some fresh air!
Where do you play?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
My coworker texted me that they just went by in Huntingdon Valley.

I thought I heard they’d be in Philly around 3. I assumed that was moved up when I saw them at 2ish.
My friend sent video ..they were over CC....not sure how I missed it....was on the phone for work but didn't hear them.

oh well....saw them in Pensacola....

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Their culture is very different from ours. Serfdom was only eliminated in 1861 which is downright recent on a societal scale; and it was mostly just eliminated in name. Their industrialization process and experiences were also completely different from pretty much anyone else in the West. There are concepts of national solidarity and authority that are unique to Russia and their experience, with a lot of it dating back to the power structure put in place by the Mongolians in the 14th century. The whole thing is designed to centralize power to few people in a way that was highly authoritarian even by the standards of a monarchy, and it has been that way for centuries. That's a hard culture to break, and a hard culture to establish am effective democracy in.

I also don't understand it very well. It's very different. I briefly took a Russian lit and culture class with a Russian professor, who set up a system in class that was meant to emulate Russian values and power structures and the futility inherent to it and I thought that was super clever, but I bailed quickly.

This is super spot on. You can never truly understand some things as an outsider because you can't truly change your cultural lens. There have been 3 distinct government structures in Russia over the last 100ish years and yet there have been similarities built into all those societies that indicate something on a deeper societal DNA level.

As somebody that grew up in the west with a totally different set of morays and expectations you can never totally understand how people born into that system think and the same is true in reverse.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Thanks! I had no idea how to google anything that would be close to that (intelligentsia). I will remember that :)

No problem. It's a hard word to know because it's part of that trend of English just pillaging other languages for words/grammar. Funnily enough, looking at the root origin: from Russian intelligentsiya, from Polish inteligencja, from Latin intelligentia

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA