All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XI: Will We Go Through A Thread This Weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I personally really struggle to understand a lot of the Russian way of thinking. Like risk/reward, benefit, loyalty etc..

Being born in 1990, early post-Velvet, I can only rely on my parents and the high school history teachers who had to live through those 1948-1989 years (not even going to mention WWII itself).
But as you said - with many stories I have heard or read about, there is a struggle in understanding "why". I mentioned it before, the "nas mnógo" approach.. Like there will always be another head to replace you, comrade. But it sometimes feels like a denial of a once great (I guess) country and it is annoying how they still try to sneak back here after 30 years of freedom

(and I fear they will get here again one day, I really do)

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Being born in 1990, early post-Velvet, I can only rely on my parents and the high school history teachers who had to live through those 1948-1989 years (not even going to mention WWII itself).
But as you said - with many stories I have heard or read about, there is a struggle in understanding "why". I mentioned it before, the "nas mnógo" approach.. Like there will always be another head to replace you, comrade. But it sometimes feels like a denial of a once great (I guess) country and it is annoying how they still try to crawl back here after 30 years of freedom
The disregard for life is one of those things I can't understand either, it just doesn't make sense.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
@Jack Straw just an FYI but you can get pictures of your buddy put on shirts, mugs etc... something like this
PLstar-Cosmos-brand-t-shirt-men-Husky-dog-3d-t-shirt-animal-short-sleeve-casual-tshirt-510x510.jpg

and @Captain Dave Poulin I found the perfect shirt for you
krakitten-t-shirt.jpg

t-shirt-catdalf.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gotcha. Yeah Stalin was a peach. Having the Poles in Warsaw rise up to fight the Germans and then stop advancing so the Poles got slaughtered.

I personally really struggle to understand a lot of the Russian way of thinking. Like risk/reward, benefit, loyalty etc..

The Russians have had their empire for hundreds of years, like the Chinese in Asia, they think the proper order of things is for them to dominate the Slav peoples and their sphere of influence, and simply can't comprehend that other people might see it a bit differently. Of course, being invaded twice in two centuries with massive loss of life probably influenced those attitudes, but it goes back centuries before Napoleon.

The Turks, as heirs to the Ottoman Empire, have a similar attitude but not the muscle to do more than vain gestures.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gotcha. Yeah Stalin was a peach. Having the Poles in Warsaw rise up to fight the Germans and then stop advancing so the Poles got slaughtered.

Their culture is very different from ours. Serfdom was only eliminated in 1861 which is downright recent on a societal scale; and it was mostly just eliminated in name. Their industrialization process and experiences were also completely different from pretty much anyone else in the West. There are concepts of national solidarity and authority that are unique to Russia and their experience, with a lot of it dating back to the power structure put in place by the Mongolians in the 14th century. The whole thing is designed to centralize power to few people in a way that was highly authoritarian even by the standards of a monarchy, and it has been that way for centuries. That's a hard culture to break, and a hard culture to establish am effective democracy in.

I also don't understand it very well. It's very different. I briefly took a Russian lit and culture class with a Russian professor, who set up a system in class that was meant to emulate Russian values and power structures and the futility inherent to it and I thought that was super clever, but I bailed quickly.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If that professor was any more serious about it, you would probably end with a bullet in your head. :laugh:

I still regret not taking it because it would have been very interesting, but it was my first semester in college and that was a headache above and beyond what I wanted for a class that was purely elective and unnecessary.

Reactions: kudymen

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Some early Russian revolutionaries were also aware that their culture was too different to neatly apply Western philosophies and theories, and they believed all that stuff needed to be Russified or developed independently at home to suit their needs. I think it was Narodism that pushed that? They ended up being rolled over early on by other groups, but in the end they were actually right about not being able to plug-and-play stuff like Marx, because all those European concepts ended up being heavily modified to suit Russian culture.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Their culture is very different from ours. Serfdom was only eliminated in 1861 which is downright recent on a societal scale; and it was mostly just eliminated in name. Their industrialization process and experiences were also completely different from pretty much anyone else in the West. There are concepts of national solidarity and authority that are unique to Russia and their experience, with a lot of it dating back to the power structure put in place by the Mongolians in the 14th century. The whole thing is designed to centralize power to few people in a way that was highly authoritarian even by the standards of a monarchy, and it has been that way for centuries. That's a hard culture to break, and a hard culture to establish am effective democracy in.

I also don't understand it very well. It's very different. I briefly took a Russian lit and culture class with a Russian professor, who set up a system in class that was meant to emulate Russian values and power structures and the futility inherent to it and I thought that was super clever, but I bailed quickly.

I did a sociology module that looked at national cultures. (as well as my own in depth personal work in this area haha, having lived with two Russians and a Moldovan, and seen two Ukrainians and a Russian!)

"Russia" is quite unique in that regard.

Going off such indices really no other country on earth really has the same extreme combination of:

Being quite reserved... but also very emotionally expressive and direct
Being a very "high context" culture
Being very collective
Being very accepting of societal inequalities

I mean, places like Romania and Serbia are closest to ex-soviet nations... but a lot more individualism and less acceptance of societal inequalities.

I don't think it is "bad" in any way shape or form... just different.

And I like how generally direct people are.
As well as really appreciate the general sense of humour.
And the general appreciation of learning and especially art that really have not encountered in many other cultures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad