All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XI: Will We Go Through A Thread This Weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
im going to be honest here... do it at the vets..

having him slip away and then having to watch them remove him is extra grief you dont need..

just be there with him as they administer the needle, then say your final goodbyes, and then go have the worst day of ur life..

it is a horrible horrible day, but its what we sign up for when we get an animal as a furbaby..

my thoughts go out to you man.. ur making me well up thinking back to my day..

on a side note, when the time is right down the road, NOTHING heals the hole in ur heart like a new furbaby thou...

I have to agree with the bolded. ITs not entirely the same, but when my mom passed, they decided to do hospice at home for her last few days. I understood her wanting to pass in the house, but my dad has to live there now, and surely has that mental picture of her last moments in the sun room every time he goes in there. I know I do.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I thought I was prepared, but I guess I was wrong.
p11978_v_v8_aa.jpg

You'll see them again someday...

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I thought I was prepared, but I guess I was wrong.
FWIW I went through that several years ago with a dog that was unlike any I've ever had. We could communicate with just a look and she was always happy to see me even if she wasn't feeling good. Just an all around great dog that I will remember fondly forever. I did it at the vet holding her paw and then had her ashes returned to me in a nice wood container which I still have.

BuriedInIce

Mar 6, 2010
San Diego

having him slip away and then having to watch them remove him is extra grief you dont need..

just be there with him as they administer the needle, then say your final goodbyes, and then go have the worst day of ur life..

it is a horrible horrible day, but its what we sign up for when we get an animal as a furbaby..

on a side note, when the time is right down the road, NOTHING heals the hole in ur heart like a new furbaby thou...

I've had to do it both ways. The one was done at the vet due to a rupture of a large tumor (he was 15; surgery was too risky). I felt that was the right decision. The other was ~2 years ago ( summer 2018) -- 15 year old border collie mix. He passed at home. That one was more difficult, but I wouldn't have done it another way.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
One of the latest developments of the stupid post-Soviet stuff I posted earlier (regarding removing the statue of Ivan Konev). Police is also protecting mayor of said Prague 6 district (same reason)

The worst thing about it all is that it is played down by our president who is often fawning over to Chinese and Russian presidents. And he literally takes sides of the foreign countries.
Hmm sounds familiar;). Good luck as Ricin is no joke.

Reactions: kudymen

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
One of the latest developments of the stupid post-Soviet stuff I posted earlier (regarding removing the statue of Ivan Konev). Police is also protecting mayor of said Prague 6 district (same reason)

The worst thing about it all is that it is played down by our president who is often fawning over to Chinese and Russian presidents. And he literally takes sides of the foreign countries.

Hmm sounds familiar;). Good luck as Ricin is no joke.

@Asnito And you know what, I will share this story regarding the president. A few years ago when former Russian agent Skripal and his daughter were poisoned by 3 Russian citizens in London, it was discovered that they used a nerve gas called novichok.
Same day the novichok news was all over the media in the world, that f***er president thought it would be a brilliant idea to come up and explicitly say in some interviews that the Russians probably have nothing to do with the poisoning because according to what he knows, this gas was MANUFACTURED in the CZECH REPUBLIC. He said that WITHOUT CONSULTING WITH THE INTELLIGENCE AGENCY. (reality = was not true, trace amounts (in micrograms) were only tested in labs by Czech intelligence agency as part of terrorism research and was destroyed immediately after the lab exercises)
Boy his friends from the Russian embassy must have loved him that day.

In case the Prague mayor were poisoned with ricin as the BBC article mentions, I would hardly be surprised if that f***er from Prague Castle said "Ricin is a Czech thing anyway, who did it, guys?"

Edit - look at this headline omg :laugh: "We made Novichok too! boasts Czech Republic's pro-Russian president... before Moscow tries to use his dubious claim as evidence it wasn't to blame for Skripal poisoning"
Milos Zeman says tiny amount of Novichok was made in Czech Republic | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thanks, I know you're right. I'm going to have him put down. Not sure exactly where, they can do it at the hospital where he is or I could bring him home. There are some vets in the area who make house calls. I'm going to call a few and see what they say.

Sending you positive thoughts and prayers. This is a ****ing brutal thing that life throws at us, making us go through this.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
@Asnito And you know what, I will share this story regarding the president. A few years ago when former Russian agent Skripal and his daughter were poisoned by 3 Russian citizens in London, it was discovered that they used a nerve gas called novichok.
Same day the novichok news was all over the media in the world, that f***er president thought it would be a brilliant idea to come up and explicitly say in some interviews that the Russians probably have nothing to do with the poisoning because according to what he knows, this gas was MANUFACTURED in the CZECH REPUBLIC. He said that WITHOUT CONSULTING WITH THE INTELLIGENCE. (reality = was not true, trace amounts (in micrograms) were only tested in labs by Czech intelligence as part of terrorism research and was destroyed immediately after the lab exercises)
Boy his friends from the Russian embassy must have loved him that day.

In case the Prague mayor were poisoned with ricin as the BBC article mentions, I would hardly be surprised if that f***er from Prague Castle said "Ricin is a Czech thing anyway, who did it, guys?"
I remember the Skripal's but the most egregious was Litvinenko. I know Plausible Deniability is SOP for Russia but just once I would like them to man up and take responsibility for what they did.

As far as your president goes did his name come up in the Panama Papers? Sounds like he is still playing by the old Soviet playbook where every action has a price attached to it.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I remember the Skripal's but the most egregious was Litvinenko. I know Plausible Deniability is SOP for Russia but just once I would like them to man up and take responsibility for what they did.

As far as your president goes did his name come up in the Panama Papers? Sounds like he is still playing by the old Soviet playbook where every action has a price attached to it.

It has been 80 years now and they still refuse to show much sympathy regarding the Katyň massacre. I doubt I will ever hear anything from them...

No Panama papers connection as far as I know, but he (as well as many other post-Velvet revolution politicians) was a member of so called "Prognostic insitute" in the 80s. Main purpose of this institute (part of the Czechoslovak academy of sciences) was to do... prognoses of future development in the country, region, world. Be it in economy, politics, social (and societal) strategies etc. Various conspiracy theories say KGB was vital in founding this institute (doubtful) or had strong impact on what was explored there (way less doubtful).
All in all, he has those KGB playbook things up his sleeve, be it via this connection, or current Russian politics..

Reactions: Asnito

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Thanks, I didn't really think about what it's like when they take him away. You're right, that would be rough. I do have two other dogs, I love them but he is the special one.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
FWIW I went through that several years ago with a dog that was unlike any I've ever had. We could communicate with just a look and she was always happy to see me even if she wasn't feeling good. Just an all around great dog that I will remember fondly forever. I did it at the vet holding her paw and then had her ashes returned to me in a nice wood container which I still have.

That's what it's like with Tikaani. I think he knows me better than any human does. It's the bond, it's so strong that it feels like he's a part of me.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
That's what it's like with Tikaani. I think he knows me better than any human does. It's the bond, it's so strong that it feels like he's a part of me.
I gotta tell you I was going through a rough time and Amber was always there for me no matter what. I remember one time I had the real floo and I was in bed all day and that dog laid next to me for 14-15 hours.

She didn't get down at all and only moved when I wanted her to. When I finally got up she went right to the back door went out and did her business then came in and inhaled some food and water and right back in bed next to me. It was a special bond like it sounds you have. I ain't gonna lie it hurts but the thing that always helped me was thinking how lucky I was to have a buddy as special as she was.

Rather than focus on the bad part of this think about how lucky you were to have a relationship/friendship with a dog that very few people will ever experience.

Last edited:

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Was that the village they massacred because of Heydrich's assassination?

Ah no, those were villages of Lidice and Ležáky (I was there last year, interesting - not sure how else to put it - experience, just like Auschwitz/Oswiecim...), massacred by the Nazis for the reason you listed.

Katyň was a different kind of horror. I am sure a history buff would be able to put it better than me but I will try. In 1940, USSR still being an ally of Hitler, the Soviets held a big number of Polish prisoners as a result of German attack on Poland in late 1939 (edit - actually joint attack of Germany, USSR I guess). We are not only talking about soldiers, but also members of Polish "intelligence" (correct expression? educated people whose reasoning may have been influential on Polish society).
These prisoners were held in Soviet concentration camps across Poland, Ukraine, Belarus until spring of 1940. Then the USSR decided "it is not welcome for these officers and the intelligence, who are often of anti-communist/anti-Soviet persuasion, to be free one day and return home" (edit - source in Czech, per Russian files that were made available in 2010) - approximately 15 000 officers, 10 000 men of the intelligence elite were murdered and thrown to mass graves in a matter of days.
Those mass graves were discovered in 1943 by the Nazis; post-WWII, the Soviets actually blamed Germany for the massacre, denied any share of the blame and it took until 1990 for Gorbachev to say this was a stalinistic war crime. These days, whenever you mention this to any Russian, they often act like they dont know... Or they really dont know. Because in their history books today, WWII often started in 1941 as the Great Patriotic War and ignore the Molotov-Ribbentrop agreement as much as they can

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Ah no, those were villages of Lidice and Ležáky (I was there last year, interesting - not sure how else to put it - experience, just like Auschwitz/Oswiecim...), massacred by the Nazis for the reason you listed.

Katyň was a different kind of horror. I am sure a history buff would be able to put it better than me but I will try. In 1940, USSR still being an ally of Hitler, the Soviets held a big number of Polish prisoners as a result of German attack on Poland in late 1939. We are not only talking about soldiers, but also members of Polish "intelligence" (correct expression? educated people whose reasoning may have been influential on Polish society).
These prisoners were held in Soviet concentration camps across Poland, Ukraine, Belarus until spring of 1940. Then the USSR decided "it is not welcome for these officers and the intelligence who are often of anti-communist/anti-Soviet persuasion, to be free one day and return home" - approximately 15 000 officers, 10 000 men of the intelligence elite were murdered and thrown to mass graves in a matter of days.
Those mass graves were discovered in 1943 by the Nazis; post-WWII, the Soviets actually blamed Germany for the massacre, denied any share of the blame and it took until 1990 for Gorbachev to say this was a stalinistic war crime. These days, whenever you mention this to any Russian, they often act like they dont know... Or they really dont know. Because in their history books today, WWII often started in 1941 as the Great Patriotic War and ignore the Molotov-Ribbentrop agreement as much as they can
Gotcha. Yeah Stalin was a peach. Having the Poles in Warsaw rise up to fight the Germans and then stop advancing so the Poles got slaughtered.

I personally really struggle to understand a lot of the Russian way of thinking. Like risk/reward, benefit, loyalty etc..

Reactions: kudymen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad