All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part VI - The Flyers Fred Arthur wore #6, he quit to be a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
MLB players and owners supposedly already agreed that they won't come back until they can have fans and there are no travel restrictions. Honestly, they're most likely to cancel everything.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You’re using the logic of integrity. Meanwhile, we have the Deputy Commissioner outright declaring there will be no shortened season. Because they’re using the logic of revenue, and they want that full 82 game slate. Doomed.

Yeah at the end of the day the NHL will likely do whatever is most profitable. I just dont know how they can resolve the logistical issues cancelling the season would cause.

The tickets and tv revenue from the playoffs is pretty massive. Is it enough to counter having the following season shortened by 30+ games for all 31 teams? Im not sure. Maybe they figure out another way to make up the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asnito

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I've been on both sides as a small business owner and also somebody who needed medicaid to pay for a major surgery that put me out for over a year. I think people on both sides need to try to understand where the other is coming from rather than label them the "enemy"(not saying you did that).
well most people are in the middle, the extremes seem to make the most noise, which amplifies their presence. I've been in that middle most of my life, leaning conservative on fiscal matters, liberal on social matters. And I can't make any sense of where the right is coming from now-republicans now seem (and act like) cartoon-villain versions of republicans. I'd gladly pay more taxes to be rid of this vile form of governance coming from them at this time. It's horrid.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you move to Canada, I'm fairly certain my future in laws would be interested in your house. Or I would, if you're interested in renting long term.

I will never rent or sell my place, but I believe they actually paused all rentals on the island for now. People are going to get crushed by not having the seasonal rental income. Plus the obvious impact on businesses.

Reactions: Starat327

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
well most people are in the middle, the extremes seem to make the most noise, which amplifies their presence. I've been in that middle most of my life, leaning conservative on fiscal matters, liberal on social matters. And I can't make any sense of where the right is coming from now-republicans now seem (and act like) cartoon-villain versions of republicans. I'd gladly pay more taxes to be rid of this vile form of governance coming from them at this time. It's horrid.
America is screaming out for a strong viable moderate party. Here's an article about Charlie Dent and his efforts on a moderate party. It's from Politico which is the first that popped up. Most major news networks did a story on it.

Charlie Dent’s War

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Some good news regarding a potential treatment for Covid-19 coming out of UBC:

Trial drug can significantly block early stages of COVID-19 in engineered human tissues

https://www.cell.com/pb-assets/products/coronavirus/CELL_CELL-D-20-00739.pdf

Summary

We have previously provided the first genetic evidence that Angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) is the critical receptor for SARS-CoV and that ACE2 protects the lung from injury, providing a molecular explanation for the severe lung failure and death due to SARS-CoV infections. ACE2 has now also been identified as a key receptor for SARS-CoV-2 infections and it has been proposed that inhibiting this interaction might be used in treating patients with COVID- 19. However, it is not known whether human recombinant soluble ACE2 (hrsACE2) blocks growth of SARS-CoV-2. Here we show that clinical grade hrsACE2 reduced SARS-CoV-2 recovery from Vero cells by a factor of 1,000-5,000. An equivalent mouse rsACE2 had no effect. We also show that SARS-CoV-2 can directly infect engineered human blood vessel organoids and human kidney organoids, which can be inhibited by hrsACE2. These data demonstrate that hrsACE2 can significantly block early stages of SARS-CoV-2 infections.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Paging @Chinatown88 for cute animal stuff in an attempt to salvage this thread
I'm skeptical of this purchase

IMG_20200404_140915.jpg

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
i have seen a good amount of places doing that..both limiting the number of people and reducing the business hours..my store is not one of them

Walmart and Market basket are doing it here. Not sure what the number is but they both have lines of people waiting to shop. 6 feet apart of course. We do have a couple chains not doing it, one of them is Shaws who is the most expensive in the city so they probably don’t need to do it.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
You're trying to make something that is opaque appear transparent.

An example would be a general ordering 10k men to launch an attack that he knows they will suffer 40%+ casualties but will allow a flanking attack that will potentially save 20k lives. Should the leader of the 10k men say no?

The virus on the carrier is in a totally different class than normal military actions. I respect the Captain for putting his men before his career and as I said earlier we don't know if he sent classified requests that were denied and felt the need to go public for crew safety.

A Captain cannot broadcast every time there is a problem on his vessel because that is very valuable information to our adversaries which they could exploit. That carrier in particular is one of two currently stationed to deter Chinese aggression in the region.

That hasn't really addressed or answered the question I curious about.

There are interesting examples of Soviet troops being pushed through uncleared minefields unnecessarily or forcing troops to cross rivers knowing those troops couldn't swim because their officers were afraid to not follow orders from their superiors as directly as possible.

Or Japanese soldiers being order to force captured troops on the Bataan death march not questioning those orders.

The waterboarding on Guantanamo Bay?

I agree that in times of war there are situations that you have to follow orders even in the case of high casualties. But this is not a time of war and beyond that how effective would a carrier riff with disease even be. But again my question stands how far do you want the officers and personal of your countries military to extrapolate the concept of "you just follow orders" and "follow the chain of command".

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It varies wildly depending on the situation.

Source: My fiancee and I have been caught in immigration hell for going on 3 years. No criminal record for her and I got a speeding ticket when I was 19. We've been through all American and Canadian options with highly-qualified Immigration Attorneys.

I have a friend who had a wife go through it. They couldn't afford the highly-qualified attorney so they had to go it themselves. It was a brutal process. Eventually they solved it by getting in direct contact with their House Rep. He met them, heard their story, and got it done directly.

Another friend went through it himself. He's English so he takes some kind of bizarre delight in crushing bureaucracy, and he also married a highly-qualified immigration attorney. He described the process as being "tedious," but superior to the time he quit several drugs and alcoholism about two hours before flying from the UK to the US. He described that as "excruciatingly uncomfortable." Or "Exquisitely uncomfortable," I forget. Either way, the fact that he added a strong adjective indicates a cross-Atlantic flight isn't the greatest time to quit several addictions at once.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So im watching the anime masterpiece Akira and I just noticed that music during a pivotal scene at the end is the same organ music used in Interstellar. Did some digging and this was no accident. Nolan is apparently a big fan and was even attached to direct a live-action adaptation back in 2015.

If you skip to around 5:30 below you will hear the same music in Akira

Reactions: kudymen and Foggy14

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So im watching the anime masterpiece Akira and I just noticed that music during a pivotal scene at the end is the same organ music used in Interstellar. Did some digging and this was no accident. Nolan is apparently a big fan and was even attached to direct a live-action adaptation back in 2015.

If you skip to around 5:30 below you will hear the same music in Akira

Akira is such a bizarre acid trip. I love it.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad