All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part VI - The Flyers Fred Arthur wore #6, he quit to be a doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m considered pretty far right by people on here but I don’t know anyone that reads Breitbart or thinks Alex Jones is anything but a right wing version of Stephen Colbert via the daily show, aka an infotainment comedic character.

You are fortunate.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
On a super happy note... Today i woke up to the news that my newest song is the fastest streaming song i've ever had. By a pretty large margin.

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with people having nothing better to do with their lives, but still, it makes me very happy

Oh shit I forgot that came out. The dog song right?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don’t want a private in the military to ignore an order from a corporal. Morals should only come into account when an unlawful order is given. Period.

If USN's high command wasn't an absolute gong show disaster then this is all avoided because the captain doesn't have to go outside normal channels.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
If USN's high command wasn't an absolute gong show disaster then this is all avoided because the captain doesn't have to go outside normal channels.
To the best of my knowledge, we don’t know if he did go through the proper channels first. Actually I think he did and was ignored.
If he contacted a news agency, he would have been reprimanded, but probably kept his command. The real issue was contacting other officials using unsecure communications. That’s a huge no no.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
@deadhead
Trump was not president during Crimea.
As far as trump being a Russian puppet, if so you don’t squash an insanely cheap source of oil for “your boss” in favor of shipping LNG across the ocean at an absurd price.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I agree there is an unnatural number of deaths in that family but who goes canoeing in the ocean on a windy day with a child?

Off the top of my head wasn’t one of them flying a plane when they shouldn’t have been (not enough flying credits &/or bad weather)?

They seem to not help the odds at times but it’s still strange.

Reactions: Asnito

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
China kept the virus hidden since at least November. You don’t think that a few month head start, before millions of people fled wuhan, would have made things different? You can’t be serious.

First Covid-19 case happened in November, China government records show - report

Jonathan Mayer, professor emeritus at the University of Washington’s department of epidemiology, said it was “entirely conceivable” there were cases as early as mid-November.
He said there were three possibilities: that cases weren’t detected at the time, that they were detected but not recognised as a new disease, or they were detected and recognised but reporting was suppressed.
“I have no way of knowing which of these possibilities in fact happened,” Mayer told the Guardian.

Remember rule 1.

All this anger you hold towards china is well warranted and if things were different in America i would be right along with you in anger.

The issues I am arguing is that before this hit the US we knew that it was a significant threat to Americans. We were lied to by foxnews on a daily basis, we were lied to by our President on a daily basis and now we have more cases of Corona than any other nation , and we are projected to have deaths in the 6 figure range.

WE will never know what happened in China. We will never get the full story. You are going to have to just accept that. As a citizen however you cannot except the deceit and misdirection being perpetrated at you on a daily basis. If you can't be outraged now when thousands are dying when can you be outraged. You want to harness that anger, focus it on the appropriate actors.

Ways you can focus your anger appropriately.

1. Do not allow media and or citizens to allow for the topic to get derailed . Focus should be made on what occured here in America.
2. Any company that runs ads on foxnews boycott immediately.
3. DO your best to inform every citizen of what truly happened in the media and with our federal government during the early days of this outbreak. It is unforgivable. And i for one will never forgive.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m considered pretty far right by people on here but I don’t know anyone that reads Breitbart or thinks Alex Jones is anything but a right wing version of Stephen Colbert via the daily show, aka an infotainment comedic character.

Jones has pretty much become an internet meme not being taken serious so I laugh at it from that point when it circulates around the internet. Like I saw something the other day where someone dubbed over some of his rants over an Avengers trailer that actually fit & was funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defect and Asnito

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
it doesn't matter where the virus starts. If an outbreak like that occurs it is game over.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...o-many-epidemics-originate-in-asia-and-africa

These issues are clearly significantly more complicated than " fix your issues"

My point wasn’t if it starts here then this. It’s that these viruses start there and not modern countries. Cultures that think random animals will improve fertility or whatever. You get all those animals together near humans and that’s how you get these things.

I went plant based not too long ago and I can tell you if we all did there would not be these viruses.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Again remember universal truth 1.

I completely disagree with your premise that China's handling of the outbreak impacted the world's ability to take this virus seriously.

"Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic
Information:
Corona virus:
Dear Family and Friends, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.
The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread by mid to late March and April.
Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:
1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!
What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs). The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.
I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.
I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. Good luck to all of us, Dad/Jim.
James Robb, MD FCAP

James Robb a Virologist called this in late February.

As soon as this broke out anyone with any understanding of these viruses were speaking out to the seriousness of this situation no avail

. A coronavirus expert from KU predicted this pandemic—here's what he says will happen next

Anyone who followed the news knew by late February this was a serious virus. And certainly the first week in March.

The problem was the Chinese basically blocked access for a month, costing the world vital weeks to study the virus and understand how contagious it was, and to put in place procedures to slow its spread (like travel restrictions, checking travellers for fever, etc.)

Nothing would have stopped the virus, but a precious month was lost that could have slowed the spread and allowed better preparation.

The Chinese leaders have a lot to answer for, and shipping a few million masks doesn't come close to compensating for what they did to the world b/c the Party's control of information kept the world blind to the threat. Not to mention tolerating the live animal markets that have endangered the world for two decades.

Reactions: renberg and Defect

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It’s significantly harder to do than move to the United States.
My cousin married an American girl...and she has decided to be a mermaid. Here she is with some dude that was fishing. Silly Americans.

Untitled.jpg

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
US has tested 1.5 million people. That’s great, but that number should be at least double that and ideally much more. I really hope they come out with and send out home kits. I’ll happily pay for my family having them, but they should be free to those that can’t afford it.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I'm a moderate who 's mostly center right and consider Breitbart, Huff Post etc... too far either way. The problem is far too many Americans have lost the ability for critical thinking and rely on questionable news sources and entertainers( Hannity, Limbaugh, Maddow, Matthews...) to form their opinions for them.

I wrote this earlier:
The primetime programming on all of CNN, FOX & MSNBC is entertainment and not news. IMO these shows along with Gerrymandering is the main reasons that politics has become so toxic and partisan.​

I will admit I'm a never Trumper but my opinion of him was decades in the making. There has been numerous things I didn't like about the guy and I think he is going to seriously weaken the Republican Party for years to come.

He actually went on the Howard Stern show and bragged about walking in the dressing rooms as the girls were getting changed 'because he was the owner so he was allowed to be there'. Keep in mind he owned Miss Teen USA(15-19 years old), yeah where I'm from we call that a pervert or 'Quagmire'.

Mods I hope this isn't too political but if it is chop away.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
@deadhead
Trump was not president during Crimea.
As far as trump being a Russian puppet, if so you don’t squash an insanely cheap source of oil for “your boss” in favor of shipping LNG across the ocean at an absurd price.

Trump wanted to loosen sanctions on Russia, Congress stopped him.

Trump isn't a Russian puppet (he may be an asset, I'm waiting for a full investigation into Deutsche Bank's money laundering), for one thing Putin knows he's incompetent and would never trust him. Putin uses Trump, but at arm's length.

Don't conflate oil and gas, they have different end uses and different markets, although they are co-produced to a greater or lesser extent depending on the geology of the field (hydrocarbons become first oil, then under higher pressure and temperature, are turned into natural gas).

Russian, through Gazprom, is the major seller of natural gas to Europe (North Sea gas and north Africa are the other major sources).
Russian uses gas sales for political influence, but more so in transit countries in Eastern Europe, addicted to cheap gas under Soviet rule.
In Western Europe it's more complex, Russians know if they over play their hand the Europeans will look elsewhere and they'll lose a major source of revenue, but the Europeans know that if a crisis arises, the Russians can temporarily close the spigot.

Oil, because there has been a worldwide tanker market for decades, is more fungible, whereas the LNG market is of more recent origin, requires more capital (for export and import facilities) and has fewer suppliers at present. So Gazprom, through its pipelines has market power and political power (cheaper to ship by exiting pipeline than new LNG facilities).

Notice Trump is trying to help the Russians and Saudi's raise the price of oil, this will not help our economy, but only oil producers - but there is no reason to interfere - the small, overextended companies will go bankrupt, the bigger, better financed companies will buy up their assets at bargain prices and production will tick up when the world oil price recovers. Same thing happened in 1986 and a couple times since. The oil industry has experienced boom/bust cycles since the 1860s. It's driven by irrational exuberance, the industry, especially the independent side of the industry, tends to attract risk takers who are imprudent, and get cleared out during busts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My point wasn’t if it starts here then this. It’s that these viruses start there and not modern countries. Cultures that think random animals will improve fertility or whatever. You get all those animals together near humans and that’s how you get these things.

I went plant based not too long ago and I can tell you if we all did there would not be these viruses.

"Modern" countries where people believe in Astrology? Or anti-vaxers? Or millions of people who think evolution is a hoax and the world is 6,000 years old. This includes our VP and Secretary of State.

Reactions: Jtown

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It’s significantly harder to do than move to the United States.

It varies wildly depending on the situation.

Source: My fiancee and I have been caught in immigration hell for going on 3 years. No criminal record for her and I got a speeding ticket when I was 19. We've been through all American and Canadian options with highly-qualified Immigration Attorneys.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm a moderate who 's mostly center right and consider Breitbart, Huff Post etc... too far either way. The problem is far too many Americans have lost the ability for critical thinking and rely on questionable news sources and entertainers( Hannity, Limbaugh, Maddow, Matthews...) to form their opinions for them.

I wrote this earlier:
The primetime programming on all of CNN, FOX & MSNBC is entertainment and not news. IMO these shows along with Gerrymandering is the main reasons that politics has become so toxic and partisan.​

I will admit I'm a never Trumper but my opinion of him was decades in the making. There has been numerous things I didn't like about the guy and I think he is going to seriously weaken the Republican Party for years to come.

He actually went on the Howard Stern show and bragged about walking in the dressing rooms as the girls were getting changed 'because he was the owner so he was allowed to be there'. Keep in mind he owned Miss Teen USA(15-19 years old), yeah where I'm from we call that a pervert or 'Quagmire'.

Mods I hope this isn't too political but if it is chop away.

I don't get news from TV.
I read the NYT, WSJ, The Economist and the New Yorker (great cartoons and investigative reporting).
I also read a lot of academic journal articles.
I rarely read editorials, why let other people tell you what to think? An exception if the writer has real expertise.

Fox is horrible, absolutely unwatchable except for Chris Wallace. They're not just stupid, they're smarmy.
MSNBC (my wife is an addict) is just as biased, but a lot smarter, there is some real news among all the pontificating. Though Maddow's condescending attitude grates like nails on blackboards. The best commentators are former Republicans, the worst is the "Rev."
CNN I can't comment b/c I rarely watch it.
I miss MacNeil/Lehrer on PBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad