OT: All Non-Hockey Sports Talk (2019-20 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Valentina/Nunes should be the fight to make. Cyborg too if she ever went back to the UFC. Besides them, there is no one else for Amanda at this moment.

-ghoste

But the problem is Nunes already beat Valentina twice. They usually only do trilogies if they win one each. But I would still be excited, both fights were really close.

I think Dana already nixed that idea, guess he's thinking he can have two/three dominant women in their own divisions but I agree, there's really no woman ready for her outside the other champs.
Don't sleep on Zhang Weili, she weighs in at 115 as straw-weight champ but if Nunes could do a catch fight with her around 125lbs, that'd be a solid match-up.
Nunes is 135lb and 145 champ so it's maybe possible?
Weili had that epic bout with Joanna back in March, possible fight of year, she also beat Jessica Andrade and Tecia Torres. 21-1, 10 KO's, 7 Subs and only 4 decisions.

I don’t think Nunes can make 125 without cutting off a limb lol.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@Ghoste , Deebo out 3-4 months with broken foot during Jimmy G's planned workouts with WRs

HollowWaterloggedAnhinga-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Rahooji and Ghoste

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
the NBA just had their schedule release.

Raptors have 8 more remaining regular-season games, with the first taking place on August 1st vs Lakers, and the last taking place on August 14th vs Nuggets.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
That Poirier-Hooker fight was insane. Dustin has 3 of the best fights I've ever seen (Alvarez, Gaethje, Hooker). One of the most exciting fighters in history, IMO.

Who do you want to see him against next? He’ll probably need another win before they give him a rematch with Khabib.

Reactions: Ghoste

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Who do you want to see him against next? He’ll probably need another win before they give him a rematch with Khabib.
I'd be interested in a Conor rematch if he actually comes back (I'd favor Dustin, and I don't see Conor returning for a contender fight), and seeing him against Ferguson as well.

Other thant two, not really sure who else is out there for him (he already beat Max, maybe if Volk beats Max and moves up?) I don't want him to take another fight against a lower ranked guy, I'd say this win and his one over Gaethje should be enough for another title shot.

I could also see Khabib retiring after this Gaethje fight, so maybe he fights for a vacant belt. Whatever it ends up being, I'll sure as Hell be tuning in.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd be interested in a Conor rematch if he actually comes back (I'd favor Dustin, and I don't see Conor returning for a contender fight), and seeing him against Ferguson as well.

Other thant two, not really sure who else is out there for him (he already beat Max, maybe if Volk beats Max and moves up?) I don't want him to take another fight against a lower ranked guy, I'd say this win and his one over Gaethje should be enough for another title shot.

I could also see Khabib retiring after this Gaethje fight, so maybe he fights for a vacant belt. Whatever it ends up being, I'll sure as Hell be tuning in.

Ya I agree, it's Conor or the loser of Gaethje and Khabib for Poirier, minus a title shot.
The Gaethje rematch would be fun to see assuming Khabib wins, which I think will happen.

Curious why you'd side with Poirier over Conor?
He knows how to fight Conor more intelligently, fresher of the fighter? Conor not mentally checked in?

Ooooo, that would sting Conor so hard if Khabib retires after that fight, you know McGregor loves to erase all his losses. Always wondered if Khabib had focused on striking a bit more, how more dominant he could be?

Been some really good fights this year alone, but that one last night was definitely in top 5-6 for FOTY.

Reactions: IM Clutcm

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Ya I agree, it's Conor or the loser of Gaethje and Khabib for Poirier, minus a title shot.
The Gaethje rematch would be fun to see assuming Khabib wins, which I think will happen.

Curious why you'd side with Poirier over Conor?
He knows how to fight Conor more intelligently, fresher of the fighter? Conor not mentally checked in?

Ooooo, that would sting Conor so hard if Khabib retires after that fight, you know McGregor loves to erase all his losses. Always wondered if Khabib had focused on striking a bit more, how more dominant he could be?

Been some really good fights this year alone, but that one last night was definitely in top 5-6 for FOTY.
Way late on this lol, but I don't think Conor is motivated the way he was in 2013-2016, and I think "the game has passed him by", as the kids say. After the Floyd payday, he hasn't been the same, down to his trash talk on Twitter, which is just sloppy/lazy and no longer witty. Tough to get back in the gym everyday with $100m in the bank.

Poirier is exponentially better than he was back in 2014, while I'm not sure Conor has evolved much since he beat Eddie (which is one of the greatest championship fight performances I've ever seen, so he was pretty far ahead of his peers at the time). MMA is a better place with a successful/motivated Conor McGregor, but I tend to think those days are in the past.

As for Khabib, I prefer the ol' Gary Roberts 80/20 theory. There's never been a better wrestler in MMA, so as long as his striking is competent enough to setup his chain takedowns, I don't see a need for him to do much on the feet. I like that he focuses on doing what he's great at.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Way late on this lol, but I don't think Conor is motivated the way he was in 2013-2016, and I think "the game has passed him by", as the kids say. After the Floyd payday, he hasn't been the same, down to his trash talk on Twitter, which is just sloppy/lazy and no longer witty. Tough to get back in the gym everyday with $100m in the bank.

Poirier is exponentially better than he was back in 2014, while I'm not sure Conor has evolved much since he beat Eddie (which is one of the greatest championship fight performances I've ever seen, so he was pretty far ahead of his peers at the time). MMA is a better place with a successful/motivated Conor McGregor, but I tend to think those days are in the past.

As for Khabib, I prefer the ol' Gary Roberts 80/20 theory. There's never been a better wrestler in MMA, so as long as his striking is competent enough to setup his chain takedowns, I don't see a need for him to do much on the feet. I like that he focuses on doing what he's great at.

Agree with it all, and so true with the money = laziness comment.
Too bad because he had it all but the ego grew too big.
Feel like Poirier will always be the #2-3 guy, always close but never gets there. Great fighter though, tough as nails.

I did enjoy the overhand right from Khabib that dropped Conor but ya, go to your bread and butter if it keeps working.
Hopefully Khabib will give Poirier the title shot if he beats Gaethje, the guy definitely deserves it before Khabib retires.
How do you see the Khabib/Gaethje fight playing out?

For me, the new Conor is O'Malley. Gifted on the feet and ground, so excited for his next few fights, kid keeps getting better and better.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Agree with it all, and so true with the money = laziness comment.
Too bad because he had it all but the ego grew too big.
Feel like Poirier will always be the #2-3 guy, always close but never gets there. Great fighter though, tough as nails.

I did enjoy the overhand right from Khabib that dropped Conor but ya, go to your bread and butter if it keeps working.
Hopefully Khabib will give Poirier the title shot if he beats Gaethje, the guy definitely deserves it before Khabib retires.
How do you see the Khabib/Gaethje fight playing out?

For me, the new Conor is O'Malley. Gifted on the feet and ground, so excited for his next few fights, kid keeps getting better and better.
In a division as stacked as lightweight, unfortunately I agree with you. Poirier may not be good enough to be the undisputed champ. Still, he's a special talent and should be recognized as such.

I think Khabib beats Justin, but Justin 2.0 (since the Poirier loss) makes it more intriguing. Ultimately, after 15 fights (or however many it's been) in the UFC and no one having been able to stay on their feet, I don't see Gaethje escaping that fate. Excited as Hell, though.

I agree with O'Malley, and I'm glad they're bringing him along slowly. He's special and that USADA suspension may have ultimately been a blessing for his career.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Feel like Poirier will always be the #2-3 guy,

He will be 2-3 as long as Khabib is around, but at this stage in his development I think he would give any champ in between Penn and Khabib a run for their money. He already has wins over two of them! :cheer:

How are you guys feeling about the fight island UFC? I’m hoping Max gets his title back.

-ghoste

That first card is going to be nuts. I'm looking forward to Usman/Burns especially.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How are you guys feeling about the fight island UFC? I’m hoping Max gets his title back.

-ghoste

Has that 'Enter the Dragon' type feel no? Pummmmped up for it!
Bunch of guys and girls showing up to an island to kick some ass.
Really looking forward to the Namajunas/Andrade rematch.
Andrade is straight-forward, constantly attacking with power shots, bullying your opponent mentality
vs Rose who is very technical, long and rangey but light on her feet.

1st fight, Rose was winning the fight until that crazy slam KO by Andrade, curious to see how it plays out a 2nd time.
Which fight peaks your interest?

In a division as stacked as lightweight, unfortunately I agree with you. Poirier may not be good enough to be the undisputed champ. Still, he's a special talent and should be recognized as such.

I think Khabib beats Justin, but Justin 2.0 (since the Poirier loss) makes it more intriguing. Ultimately, after 15 fights (or however many it's been) in the UFC and no one having been able to stay on their feet, I don't see Gaethje escaping that fate. Excited as Hell, though.

I agree with O'Malley, and I'm glad they're bringing him along slowly. He's special and that USADA suspension may have ultimately been a blessing for his career.

Not taking anything away from Poirier, his last 9-10 fights is a who's who list with 2 of his last 3 going the full five rounds. Definitely battle tested and nearing 32 years old, the time is now to win the Strap, if he can.

Gaethje does have that wrestling base so I'm curious how Khabib will attack in the first couple rounds.
Khabib is relentless though, he will take shots to secure the takedowns but Gaethje has dynamite in both hands.
Gonna be a good mental chess game as both guys want to make the first move/attack.

For sure, still young and learned from the mistake, he's added some mass now and growing into his power/body.
Sounds like he wants to fight again ASAP, which might come in July or August.

Mike Perry just blasted Nate Diaz online, that would be a fun fight.

He will be 2-3 as long as Khabib is around, but at this stage in his development I think he would give any champ in between Penn and Khabib a run for their money. He already has wins over two of them! :cheer:

Khabib may retire after the Gaethje fight though, so the door could be wide open.
Wouldn't mind the Poirier-Gaethje rematch for the vacant belt if Khabib wins and does retire

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Just realized I forgot to post anything about this

On July 4, Mahomes signed a 10-year deal worth anywhere in the ballpark from $477mil. to $503mil., depending on bonuses and incentives.

Mahomes has said that he wants Reid to remain the head coach for the remainder of his 10-year deal, and Reid said he'd like to make that possible.

Well, sign me up for another 10 years!! (and 10 Super Bowls) :nod::popcorn:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, bummed. He was paid really well for a special teams player. Gets an opportunity and does pretty well (credit to Kyle here too). Now wants Coleman money who is a bit overpaid. Idk man, I see both sides. If he does leave, Coleman and Jet better ball out. Thoughts?

-ghosted

Ya i think management probably said, do it again and we can pay you accordingly, how many times does a guy show up for 1 year and then demand the world right but can also see his side as well, not sure if it was the term/money or both?

Sucks because now his trade value took a dip that he went public but confident we have some depth there but he was fast AF and big reason we won some of those games down the stretch. Hoping Coleman and Mackinnon can stay healthy and be a decent duo, they're getting paid good money.

I think this Kittle extension is gonna push some guys out the door but can understand why. Only so much pie to go around

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad