OT: All Non-Hockey Sports Talk (2019-20 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@Chaos2k7 @Cold Cat

Was ready to write the Jays off last week but all of a sudden, they putting together a little run. They are wildly inconsistent but fun to watch most nights.

Have you guys been watching?
If so, who's been impressing you and who needs to step up a bit more?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
@Chaos2k7 @Cold Cat

Was ready to write the Jays off last week but all of a sudden, they putting together a little run. They are wildly inconsistent but fun to watch most nights.

Unfortunate start for NP. But he has electric stuff. The scary part is on offense that neither Vladdy Jr. nor Gurriel Jr. have started to get hot yet.

Thinking about Martin and Groshans coming has me wondering if we will have enough internal pitching options or if that will be where they continue go in FA/trades moving forward.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Unfortunate start for NP. But he has electric stuff. The scary part is on offense that neither Vladdy Jr. nor Gurriel Jr. have started to get hot yet.

Thinking about Martin and Groshans coming has me wondering if we will have enough internal pitching options or if that will be where they continue go in FA/trades moving forward.

Ya, not too worried about NP, rookies are up and down for most part. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to a bullpen role when he's healthy as that seems to be the major problem so far, leaking runs late in games. May take some pressure off him where he can throw 2-3 innings and not be a go to guy so quick into his career. He will have a long productive career, seems like a guy who strives to be better and better each time out.

Vladdy has been MIA, had a nice bomb last night to go up 2-1 but needs to be more patient at the plate, seems to be rushing and getting behind on counts a lot.
Did you see Gurriel's throw from left field to home plate for an out and then that wild slide home to avoid the catcher's glove?
I'm sure they will heat up soon enough, there will ebbs and flows for all players.

For me, I've been impressed with Gritch, didn't know what to expect with him, figured he would be okay/average but his plate approach has improved and the ball is flying off his bat lately.
Biggio had a great start then faded but now, heating up again and you can see the confidence in the team is growing.

As for the pitching comment, I agree, if Martin didn't fall into our lap, was all for a RHP but we have developed some decent depth guys so far. Curious how good Manoah can be along with Kay and Woods-Richardson.
We may have to sign another decent starter and we should be good with Ryu, Pearson and that free agent as 3 of the starting 5, just need to develop 2 other guys to be a #4 and 5.
If they can win the next few series, they may have a shot but either way, they should be competitive consistently in another year or two.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Ya, not too worried about NP, rookies are up and down for most part. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to a bullpen role when he's healthy as that seems to be the major problem so far, leaking runs late in games. May take some pressure off him where he can throw 2-3 innings and not be a go to guy so quick into his career. He will have a long productive career, seems like a guy who strives to be better and better each time out.

Vladdy has been MIA, had a nice bomb last night to go up 2-1 but needs to be more patient at the plate, seems to be rushing and getting behind on counts a lot.
Did you see Gurriel's throw from left field to home plate for an out and then that wild slide home to avoid the catcher's glove?
I'm sure they will heat up soon enough, there will ebbs and flows for all players.

For me, I've been impressed with Gritch, didn't know what to expect with him, figured he would be okay/average but his plate approach has improved and the ball is flying off his bat lately.
Biggio had a great start then faded but now, heating up again and you can see the confidence in the team is growing.

As for the pitching comment, I agree, if Martin didn't fall into our lap, was all for a RHP but we have developed some decent depth guys so far. Curious how good Manoah can be along with Kay and Woods-Richardson.
We may have to sign another decent starter and we should be good with Ryu, Pearson and that free agent as 3 of the starting 5, just need to develop 2 other guys to be a #4 and 5.
If they can win the next few series, they may have a shot but either way, they should be competitive consistently in another year or two.
I was skeptical of Shapiro et al, but I think we are starting to see the organizational shift in prospect development that was much balleyhooed when they broke up the old core.

Paging... Florida Panthers... lol

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I was skeptical of Shapiro et al, but I think we are starting to see the organizational shift in prospect development that was much balleyhooed when they broke up the old core.

Paging... Florida Panthers... lol

:laugh: was gonna bring that up.
Ya i trust Sha-tkins a lot more than when they first got here. Once they clear the rest of the dead money, I expect them to bring in more vet depth and go for a good 4-5 year window of playoff baseball.

Also, go Raptors go!

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Miami looks real impressive so far against Indiana, though Sabonis is out. Butler's clutch gene has kicked in early this year and DRAGON DRAGIC has been money. Bam is easing in offensively but his defense is superb as expected

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Miami looks real impressive so far against Indiana, though Sabonis is out. Butler's clutch gene has kicked in early this year and DRAGON DRAGIC has been money. Bam is easing in offensively but his defense is superb as expected
I wanted to talk up the Heat but was afraid I'd jinx them. They've been good. Four players over 20 points and good defense should get them pretty far.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
I wanted to talk up the Heat but was afraid I'd jinx them. They've been good. Four players over 20 points and good defense should get them pretty far.
unfortunately their likely hardest task is up after Indiana - Giannis is going to be a major problem

If Miami can beat Milwaukee I think they win it all

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@IRootForNoTeam , are you watching game 4 of LAC and DAL?
What a comeback for the Mavs, down 21 at one point and now up by half a dozen.

I think Miami matches up against Toronto very well

Big guys like Davis, Giannis do us dirty

Fair enough, we do have our fair share of big guys.
One of the better defenses in the league.
That would be quite the gauntlet for MIA to go through MIL and TOR but I do enjoy their team game right now, just don't see them beating both of those teams.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
@IRootForNoTeam , are you watching game 4 of LAC and DAL?
What a comeback for the Mavs, down 21 at one point and now up by half a dozen.

Fair enough, we do have our fair share of big guys.
One of the better defenses in the league.
That would be quite the gauntlet for MIA to go through MIL and TOR but I do enjoy their team game right now, just don't see them beating both of those teams.
They probably dont beat Milwaukee, could take them tseven though

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They probably dont beat Milwaukee, could take them tseven though

I hope MIA does upset MIL to be honest, may help TOR woo Giannis up north :crossfing
I don't fully believe in MIL until they get to the finals and finally get over the hump, MIA could definitely beat them if they can shut the Freak down.

What a game by him, 40pts, 15 REBs and 10 helpers, only the 3rd player in NBA playoff history to do that?
Lou Williams carried LAC with what 36pts?
LAC don't look so hot now, hoping DAL can win the series and have Kawhi second guessing his leave from TOR.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I think the best series of the first-round is Utah and Denver. I can't get enough of those games. Last night both Murray and Mitchell had 50 + points!

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
@Chaos2k7 @Cold Cat

Haven't missed a game yet this season.
Was so excited last night I jumped up and slam the couch with my fist after I yelled thinking I woke up my son. My friend wanted me to go outside with 2 outs and I said, no no no, I want to watch the game because they might still do something. Boy, was I right.

Vlad is starting to be fire. Excited to watch Walker pitch today.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Haven't missed a game yet this season.
Was so excited last night I jumped up and slam the couch with my fist after I yelled thinking I woke up my son. My friend wanted me to go outside with 2 outs and I said, no no no, I want to watch the game because they might still do something. Boy, was I right.

Vlad is starting to be fire. Excited to watch Walker pitch today.

Everything is coming together at the right time because we need to beat the Yankees in the 3 series ahead.

Grich and Teoscar are leading the charge offensively and everyone seems to be more patient at the plate, we're stealing bases, Biggio is such a player coach already always picking up on things and sharing with teammates.

They just added some pitching and a big bat from SEA. Hoping Pearson can come back and be a decent addition to the bullpen, dont think he will go back to SP role.

And yes so glad to see Vladdy heating up in Bichettes absence, would love to see him return at some point but ya didn't think we would be this good this early into the year.

Ryu and Yamaguchi have been solid adds as well along with Romano, who could be our closer going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad