OT: All Non-Hockey Sports Talk (2019-20 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Korean Baseball has started.

The team I have chosen to cheer for is the SK Wyrens. They're 1B/RF is Jamie Romak from 20 minutes east down the road. He is their big slugger. Good reason to cheer for them.

They're 1-2 to start the year. 144 game regular season. They lost their two best pitchers in the offseason. One guy to the Japan leagues, and the other to the St Louis Cardinals. The one article I read said it's like Houston losing Verlander and Cole. Not good, we got some work to do. Although they are currently #4 on the ESPN power ranking. 10-team league. :faq:

I see ESPN is streaming select games right now. So far as SK hasn't made the cut . It's not like we're the NC Dinos! :dunno:

This will have to do until MLB starts up. :popcorn: :GWC:

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
@IRootForNoTeam

Don't know if you saw this, decent watch, year old but just caught it flipping channels on normal cable.
Made me think of you and your Mavs, didn't realize he was there for 6 years, felt like 3-4. Enjoy!

Ooh thanks.

Yeah, he was a mav for a while but he never hit his peak. Was a fan, but not sure we would have ever won with peak Nash as Kidd did a lot of defensive dirty work. Will still check it out though.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
It would be such a bad look for the MLB if all sports came back other than them. Sounds like the owners are being a wee bit greedy.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ooh thanks.

Yeah, he was a mav for a while but he never hit his peak. Was a fan, but not sure we would have ever won with peak Nash as Kidd did a lot of defensive dirty work. Will still check it out though.

:laugh: best part was Dirk and Steve's hair at the player introductions.
I agree on the delayed peak and Kidd being the better career defender, better rebounds and steals.
Nash had better career offense, FG%, FT% and 3P%. Both could ball out

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Last edited:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
@Cold Cat and @Chaos2k7

MLB draft is on Wednesday, we got #5 overall. Curious which avenue we go, BPA or positional need.
A couple good reads below, I agree with the 3 needs in the article, INF, CF or P.
Think it's P > CF > INF for me in order of importance, what about you guys?

Toronto Blue Jays head into 'one-of-a-kind' MLB draft with a Top 5 pick - TSN.ca

Who will Blue Jays take at No. 5 in MLB Draft?

Four players Blue Jays could take with fifth pick in MLB Draft - Sportsnet.ca

I've heard that this draft is one you definitely don't want to take that High School Prospect because of all the unknown with carrying a high school player right now. The sample size is just too low.

Yet the one Mockdraft I read had the Jays taking Veen at number 5, a LH high school centre fielder who projects as right fielder down the road. Not the pick I would be making.
I would take an arm. You can't have enough arms in the system.

If Lacy LHP or Meyer RHP is still on the board at number five, then you don't hesitate and select one of them.

Also of note, last time the Jays selected as high as number 5, they took a centre fielder named Vernon Wells. Pretty good selection IMO

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
@Cold Cat and @Chaos2k7

MLB draft is on Wednesday, we got #5 overall. Curious which avenue we go, BPA or positional need.
A couple good reads below, I agree with the 3 needs in the article, INF, CF or P.
Think it's P > CF > INF for me in order of importance, what about you guys?

Toronto Blue Jays head into 'one-of-a-kind' MLB draft with a Top 5 pick - TSN.ca

Who will Blue Jays take at No. 5 in MLB Draft?

Four players Blue Jays could take with fifth pick in MLB Draft - Sportsnet.ca

With the exodus of our top minor league pitching prospects to the bigs or to AAA, I would assume they select a pitcher, unless something drastic happens such as off the board selections above them.

I believe I read they plan to go BPA regardless of position, but in our spot we more likely will have a top pitching prospect.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I've heard that this draft is one you definitely don't want to take that High School Prospect because of all the unknown with carrying a high school player right now. The sample size is just too low.

Yet the one Mockdraft I read had the Jays taking Veen at number 5, a LH high school centre fielder who projects as right fielder down the road. Not the pick I would be making.
I would take an arm. You can't have enough arms in the system.

If Lacy LHP or Meyer RHP is still on the board at number five, then you don't hesitate and select one of them.

Also of note, last time the Jays selected as high as number 5, they took a centre fielder named Vernon Wells. Pretty good selection IMO

With the exodus of our top minor league pitching prospects to the bigs or to AAA, I would assume they select a pitcher, unless something drastic happens such as off the board selections above them.

I believe I read they plan to go BPA regardless of position, but in our spot we more likely will have a top pitching prospect.

Sounds like we all agree to draft a P, I'd be fine if they draft another one in the 2nd round as well.
Basically Lacy if he somehow drops, always see him as consensus #3 pick to MIA but more likely we get another RHP in Meyer or Hancock.

Adding Hancock (6'4, 213lbs) along with Pearson (6'6), Manoah (6'6) would be 3 towering righties.
I think we have a couple other guys that are 6'3 or above as well.
4 pitch with FB in the mid 90's but touches 99mph, CHG and SLD in the mid 80's, decent CRV ball.
Had a really good sophomore season but faltered a bit a year later.

Meyer is going to get judged for his size (6'0, 185lbs) as a pure starter but he touches 101mph, although only 2 pitch mix of FB and SLD. Despite a meh 10-7 record, he still put claimed a 2.13 ERA and /0.939 WHIP with 187 SO's or 11.4K/9

With the reduced season, we may just have a shot to nab a wildcard spot, either way, think this draft will help cement a solid foundation for this team to be at least a competitive playoff team for a good 5-6 year window.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Sounds like we all agree to draft a P, I'd be fine if they draft another one in the 2nd round as well.
Basically Lacy if he somehow drops, always see him as consensus #3 pick to MIA but more likely we get another RHP in Meyer or Hancock.

Adding Hancock (6'4, 213lbs) along with Pearson (6'6), Manoah (6'6) would be 3 towering righties.
I think we have a couple other guys that are 6'3 or above as well.
4 pitch with FB in the mid 90's but touches 99mph, CHG and SLD in the mid 80's, decent CRV ball.
Had a really good sophomore season but faltered a bit a year later.

Meyer is going to get judged for his size (6'0, 185lbs) as a pure starter but he touches 101mph, although only 2 pitch mix of FB and SLD. Despite a meh 10-7 record, he still put claimed a 2.13 ERA and /0.939 WHIP with 187 SO's or 11.4K/9

With the reduced season, we may just have a shot to nab a wildcard spot, either way, think this draft will help cement a solid foundation for this team to be at least a competitive playoff team for a good 5-6 year window.

If Lacey Falls I love good lhp. If not, I'd be totally fine with Meyer. Although, I have seen reports where people think he would be excellent as a reliever. I tend to agree. Despite his size, he's got some Wicked pitches, despite not many different kinds in his bag.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If Lacey Falls I love good lhp. If not, I'd be totally fine with Meyer. Although, I have seen reports where people think he would be excellent as a reliever. I tend to agree. Despite his size, he's got some Wicked pitches, despite not many different kinds in his bag.

Ya that scares me a bit about Meyer, we have to hit a premier player here as we likely won't pick at 5th or better along the way. Kind of like the idea of 3 big righties but if Lacy falls, we'd have an ace on the left and right side with him and Pearson.
Feel Meyer would have to over-work his arm during his career to keep that speed.
Hancock and Lacy seem to have that natural big bodied power to sustain it longer.
All top 5 draftees will likely improve as well.
Pumped about the season even if it's only 50-60 games

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Ya that scares me a bit about Meyer, we have to hit a premier player here as we likely won't pick at 5th or better along the way. Kind of like the idea of 3 big righties but if Lacy falls, we'd have an ace on the left and right side with him and Pearson.
Feel Meyer would have to over-work his arm during his career to keep that speed.
Hancock and Lacy seem to have that natural big bodied power to sustain it longer.
All top 5 draftees will likely improve as well.
Pumped about the season even if it's only 50-60 games

Lacy would make me over the moon estatic! Sorry Marlins fans, but if you screw this one up, I would not feel bad. :crossfing:neener:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Also, I am watching live sports for the first time since mid-march tonight!
Super featherweight non title fight from Las Vegas.

The card had the first fight with a big ItaliaTKO right hand to the side of the head.
The second fight was a young American with the third round TKO. He is 4-0 in his career with all four KO.
The main event is a super featherweight bout that features featherweight WBC champion Shakur Stevenson. If you ever come across this guy's name again, he is legit. Looks exactly like a young Floyd Mayweather.

I crave contact. :box:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

The card had the first fight with a big ItaliaTKO right hand to the side of the head.
The second fight was a young American with the third round TKO. He is 4-0 in his career with all four KO.
The main event is a super featherweight bout that features featherweight WBC champion Shakur Stevenson. If you ever come across this guy's name again, he is legit. Looks exactly like a young Floyd Mayweather.

Stevenson wins by TKO in the six with a quick hard body blow to the guys lower right ab. He is now 14 - 0 with 8 KO.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I wanna see Lomachenko vs Ryan Garcia. Probably won't happen for another year or two until Garcia has a belt or two but that would be a fun strategic fight.

You watch UFC at all? Suga Omalley is a guy on the rise, had a walk off, fake uppercut/straight right down the pipe KO this past Saturday.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
You watch UFC at all? Suga Omalley is a guy on the rise, had a walk off, fake uppercut/straight right down the pipe KO this past Saturday.

That was nice! He reminds me of a young Conor. Him and Cody should be a good one down the road. I’m not a big Amanda fan but no question she’s a beast. Spencer is a tough girl to survive that whole fight.

-ghoste

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That was nice! He reminds me of a young Conor. Him and Cody should be a good one down the road. I’m not a big Amanda fan but no question she’s a beast. Spencer is a tough girl to survive that whole fight.

-ghoste

Was saying the same thing to my friends. The way he movies so fluidly, its like moving art. I think Omalley has a better ground game and/or is more willing to go to the floor if need be.

Cody is exciting as well but he always plays with fire, he goes in bar fight mode sometimes and just starts swinging wildly but hopefully those two can eventually meet.

Ya I didn't even watch Nunes fight, figured she would win and I like Spencer but Nunes is on an Anderson Silva like tear when he first came to UFC. She will likely be the best ever woman to put on 4oz gloves. Feel for her as her list of opportunities is dwindling.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I wanna see Lomachenko vs Ryan Garcia. Probably won't happen for another year or two until Garcia has a belt or two but that would be a fun strategic fight.

Hopefully there is some better matches in boxing soon. Last night was a good card with knockouts, but I think those matchups were made in order to bring boxing back with some quick excitement. Shakur Stevenson is like boxing young prized Jewel, and they were showing him off last night to get excitement back. I would like to see some better one-on-one matchups.

No, unfortunately I don't watch the UFC. I feel like I hung around for GSP, and when he retired I was done. Call me an old grumpy man, but there's just too much to look out for in UFC. I like boxing where you know it's just the fists coming at you.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Ya I didn't even watch Nunes fight, figured she would win and I like Spencer but Nunes is on an Anderson Silva like tear when he first came to UFC. She will likely be the best ever woman to put on 4oz gloves. Feel for her as her list of opportunities is dwindling.
Who would you have ahead of her at this point? Tough to argue she's already the GOAT.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Valentina/Nunes should be the fight to make. Cyborg too if she ever went back to the UFC. Besides them, there is no one else for Amanda at this moment.

-ghoste

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Valentina/Nunes should be the fight to make. Cyborg too if she ever went back to the UFC. Besides them, there is no one else for Amanda at this moment.

-ghoste

I think Dana already nixed that idea, guess he's thinking he can have two/three dominant women in their own divisions but I agree, there's really no woman ready for her outside the other champs.
Don't sleep on Zhang Weili, she weighs in at 115 as straw-weight champ but if Nunes could do a catch fight with her around 125lbs, that'd be a solid match-up.
Nunes is 135lb and 145 champ so it's maybe possible?
Weili had that epic bout with Joanna back in March, possible fight of year, she also beat Jessica Andrade and Tecia Torres. 21-1, 10 KO's, 7 Subs and only 4 decisions.

Reactions: Ghoste
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad