All Goalie Talk

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The way Bishop is playing now has me very worried. I don't think Vasilevskiy will ever reach the level Bishop is playing at now, but at the same time I know Vasi will still be legit.

So the question is:

Do we keep Bishop over Vasi? Means we have a top 3 goalie for the next 5-6 years and then whatever he is after that.

Or do we keep Vasi over Bish? Means we have a top 10 goalie for 12-15 years.

That's a really, really tough decision. This is the roster choice that could make or break this team. This is going to be Yzerman's defining moment as a GM.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The way Bishop is playing now has me very worried. I don't think Vasilevskiy will ever reach the level Bishop is playing at now, but at the same time I know Vasi will still be legit.

So the question is:

Do we keep Bishop over Vasi? Means we have a top 3 goalie for the next 5-6 years and then whatever he is after that.

Or do we keep Vasi over Bish? Means we have a top 10 goalie for 12-15 years.

That's a really, really tough decision. This is the roster choice that could make or break this team. This is going to be Yzerman's defining moment as a GM.

I think if we'd had anyone outside the top 5 in net for us this year, we probably wouldn't have stolen enough games to make the playoffs. So I think you've got to go with the guy getting it done for you.

Bishop isn't just a top 3 goalie. He's arguably our best player. And I just think it's easier to find a goalie with the potential to be a top-3 goalie than it is to find a goalie who actually is in the top-3.

emg0827

Apr 4, 2015
I think if we'd had anyone outside the top 5 in net for us this year, we probably wouldn't have stolen enough games to make the playoffs. So I think you've got to go with the guy getting it done for you.

Bishop isn't just a top 3 goalie. He's arguably our best player. And I just think it's easier to find a goalie with the potential to be a top-3 goalie than it is to find a goalie who actually is in the top-3.

I agree, this is not an easy decision to make and there are pros and cons to each side. i only question how much new pads will affect a bigger goaltender such as bishop however he's good enough to where it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I think a lot of it is going to come down to Stamkos, becase there is no way (barring an enormous overpayment in a trade) that we would get rid of kucherov and especially Hedman. if you keep those 3 there simply isn't enough room for bishop, we would need vasilevski's cheap contract in order to keep our team deep enough to compete for a cup. a core of Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Bishop is fantastic but without depth they'd become the 2011-14 penguins, a team consistently capable of making the playoffs and winning a few rounds but not good enough to win it all.

That being said in my own opinion this is what i do.

1. Let Stamkos walk, it sucks to lose him but we just don't need him at the price he wants

2. re-sign bishop, Hedman and Kucherov to long term deals

3. we have 1st round and 2 second round picks this year, i propose we package some of those, along with vasilevski for a high first round draft pick where we can draft a potential replacement for Stamkos down the road. they'll probably never draft someone who will score 60 goals but they should be able to get high enough to have a very good chance at landing an impact two-way top 6 center, top 4 dman or another top winger.

They would obviously not get into the top 3 but when i look at the rest of the top 10 there is one team in particular that I'm looking at, and thats calgary. they are sitting at 6 and actually have a pretty talented roster overall. what they need though is a #1 goaltender and Vasilevski can be that perhaps as soon as next season. not only that but he's good enough to be a legitimate elite goalie and those are not easy to find. While we won't land Mathews, Laine or puljujarvi that next tier of players composing of Dubois, Tkachuck, Juolevi, nylander, sergachev, keller( i think this kid is SO underrated, book it he's going to be a star I'm telling you) and Chychyrun are all outstanding and i would love to have any one of them on my team.

i mean imagine a top 4 in a few years consisting of
Hedman-stralman
Koekkoek-chyrchrun/ juolevi/sergachev

or a top 6 with

palat-Dubois-Drouin
Killorn-Johnson-Kucherov

also the possibility to trade with edmonton at 4 as they have made it known they're willing to trade but they need defenseman more than anything, however the only two with enough value on our team (Hedman and Stralman) are not for sale so i don't know what this trade would be structured around.

emg0827

Apr 4, 2015

I agree, this is not an easy decision to make and there are pros and cons to each side. i only question how much new pads will affect a bigger goaltender such as bishop however he's good enough to where it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I think a lot of it is going to come down to Stamkos, becase there is no way (barring an enormous overpayment in a trade) that we would get rid of kucherov and especially Hedman. if you keep those 3 there simply isn't enough room for bishop, we would need vasilevski's cheap contract in order to keep our team deep enough to compete for a cup. a core of Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman and Bishop is fantastic but without depth they'd become the 2011-14 penguins, a team consistently capable of making the playoffs and winning a few rounds but not good enough to win it all.

1. Let Stamkos walk, it sucks to lose him but we just don't need him at the price he wants

3. we have 1st round and 2 second round picks this year, i propose we package some of those, along with vasilevski for a high first round draft pick where we can draft a potential replacement for Stamkos down the road. they'll probably never draft someone who will score 60 goals but they should be able to get high enough to have a very good chance at landing an impact two-way top 6 center, top 4 dman or another top winger.

They would obviously not get into the top 3 but when i look at the rest of the top 10 there is one team in particular that I'm looking at, and thats calgary. they are sitting at 6 and actually have a pretty talented roster overall. what they need though is a #1 goaltender and Vasilevski can be that perhaps as soon as next season. not only that but he's good enough to be a legitimate elite goalie and those are not easy to find. While we won't land Mathews, Laine or puljujarvi that next tier of players composing of Dubois, Tkachuck, Juolevi, nylander, sergachev, keller( i think this kid is SO underrated, book it he's going to be a star I'm telling you) and Chychyrun are all outstanding and i would love to have any one of them on my team.

Hedman-stralman

or a top 6 with

palat-Dubois-Drouin
Killorn-Johnson-Kucherov

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i 100% totally oppose signing bishp long term for 7.5 million or above

the way he is playing that is where he is heading and it will probably end badly

the guy is one of the best in the game obviously but the wear and tear and a few runs in a role will wear on that big man quickly causing a gluttony of injuries imho

if they sign him at 7.5 for 5 years before he turns 35 maybe id want though less term and less years myself its just a huge risk on goalies seen too many fall apart

bishop has incredible mental make up to me his biggest asset

this will be coming up vasy or him will be behind stevie just hope not a lifetime deal for bishop that could really hurt us

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i 100% totally oppose signing bishp long term for 7.5 million or above

the way he is playing that is where he is heading and it will probably end badly

the guy is one of the best in the game obviously but the wear and tear and a few runs in a role will wear on that big man quickly causing a gluttony of injuries imho

if they sign him at 7.5 for 5 years before he turns 35 maybe id want though less term and less years myself its just a huge risk on goalies seen too many fall apart

bishop has incredible mental make up to me his biggest asset

this will be coming up vasy or him will be behind stevie just hope not a lifetime deal for bishop that could really hurt us

Bishops body will start to break at 35 or 36 best bet go with vasy he will be a stud I'd agree

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

Hedman-stralman

or a top 6 with

palat-Dubois-Drouin
Killorn-Johnson-Kucherov

also the possibility to trade with edmonton at 4 as they have made it known they're willing to trade but they need defenseman more than anything, however the only two with enough value on our team (Hedman and Stralman) are not for sale so i don't know what this trade would be structured around.

koekkoek can almost skate with hedman but masin just watch masin will be up after next season and will in time put koekkoek lower down the rung hes gonna be that solid of a shut down d man does everything well etc..

p.s. is no way 1st two seconds gets you any of those three defenders who all go in top 8 probably imho

im for keeping our picks pick up d id go after stanley or niemelainen but personally im hoping we grab the goalie

the one thing we can count on is this staff really gets some winners out of the drafts so more picks equals more depth we will get some good ones:)

reason for the goalie is im sure we are losing someone to expansion very soon:(

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Bishop is the Derrick Rose of the NHL.

This changes things SUBSTANTIALLY.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Who's on the bench for the lightning as the backup to vasilevsky (sorry if I spelt that wrong).

Last edited:

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Although I'm devasted by the injury to Bish, who deserved to see this thing through, it's a defining moment of Vasy's career so far. If he can step in and play well, he really makes Yzerman's decision on who to retain a lot harder. The problem with Vasy has been that he hasn't got many games in a row. It seems like he'll get that now in a high pressure situation, nonetheless. If he pulls through, it's another headache for Yzerman.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
GIGANTIC break. If he can even return by like game 4, that'd be yuuuge.

He could still have a ligament or tendon issue. Even a sprain probably keeps him out the rest of the series.

Gotta say though, with Bishop's knack of getting injured at critical moments of the season (twice now because of flailing wildly), I'm starting to lean towards Vasi long term if he shows well here.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Our playoff hopes relying on Vasi?

This is Fine.

Yeah I said it. I have confidence in the kid.

If the Penguins continue to play that poorly then that is absolutely fine. Mission accomplished already by winning game 1. Worst case is we come back to Tampa tied at 1-1.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If Vasilevsky plays good before the return of Bishop, Tampa can land a substantial return for the Russian goalie.

Dallas would be an ideal place for him

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
If Vasilevsky plays good before the return of Bishop, Tampa can land a substantial return for the Russian goalie.

Dallas would be an ideal place for him

Or if he proves that he can be our rock then we have a decision to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00