All Goalie Talk

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah if Vasi plays elite level then it's Bishop that's gone, not Vasi. Cheaper and has more years ahead of him. If Vasi continues to only show "potential" but not actual results, then you go with the proven quantity.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Or if he proves that he can be our rock then we have a decision to make.

Hopefully he does make it a decision.

I don't think Vasy's going to step in and be the best goalie in the NHL, which I think is the requirement for being better than Bishop. It's hard for him not to be a downgrade. The question is whether or not it's a sustainable downgrade, I think, and even for that, he has to be lights out.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah if Vasi plays elite level then it's Bishop that's gone, not Vasi. Cheaper and has more years ahead of him. If Vasi continues to only show "potential" but not actual results, then you go with the proven quantity.

I disagree Robert guess style!!!!!! Vasy is our future and yzerman will agree with me on this!

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007

yeah, but bishop has also proven to break for the past three years in the april-june time frame which just so happens to coincide with the most important hockey games

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Vasy really has only one flaw, but it's a pretty big one. It's just general puck control, more than just rebound control. When the puck is in his crease, he struggles to get a handle on it. We saw it all season and we saw it last night.

He'll get it under control, and when he does, it's going to be tough to find a better goalie. But it's not under control yet. So, for now, he's going to be a goalie that faces 35+ shots per night, many of which will be second opportunities. I don't see how a team can survive that.

Bishop's major flaw unfortunately looks like it's his ability to stay healthy. He's failed to finish each of the last three seasons healthy. Aside from that, there's a legit argument that he's the best goalie in hockey. And you have to appreciate the way he controls not just the crease but the entire defensive zone at times.

We look lost when Bishop's not in net. A big reason for that is Bishop's style of play.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Doubtful when there's teams out West that need goalies. Going to have to outbid them severely to get us to trade him in division.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
This "Ability of Bishop to stay healthy" is way overblown. Sure, the fact is that he's been injured the last 3 playoffs. But that's overlooking the details. 2/3 have been to freak accidents. I'm not too worried about Bishop's longevity.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
This "Ability of Bishop to stay healthy" is way overblown. Sure, the fact is that he's been injured the last 3 playoffs. But that's overlooking the details. 2/3 have been to freak accidents. I'm not too worried about Bishop's longevity.

well I am id feel a lot better on new deal that went if happens 3 years over even 5 years

i think someone will give him at least 7.5 x 5 and i hope is not us if thats the case

just my doubts he can stay healthy long term

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
well I am id feel a lot better on new deal that went if happens 3 years over even 5 years

i think someone will give him at least 7.5 x 5 and i hope is not us if thats the case

just my doubts he can stay healthy long term

I'd give Bishop that deal and not even hesitate. He's arguably the best goaltender in the league. Really is the backbone of the team.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I wouldn't call getting injured during a game a "freak accident". A freak accident would be the guy is walking home from the arena and a car runs over his foot and breaks it. Getting hurt in a game situation is not a freak accident.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I wouldn't call getting injured during a game a "freak accident". A freak accident would be the guy is walking home from the arena and a car runs over his foot and breaks it. Getting hurt in a game situation is not a freak accident.

Not to mention that repeatedly getting injured by seemingly minor incidents is the very definition of "injury prone".

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I'd trade Bish this off-season. What's the going rate for a top 3 goalie in the league? Top 5 overall draft pick? Couple of Blue Chip prospects at positions of need plus a mid/late first rounder? Knowing what we know now ... Stamkos injury + ECF loss. Wish we could have traded Stamkos last off-season when we had the chance. We coulda been in the same spot we are now but instead have a couple of more first rounders or some blue chip prospects. Plus given Drouin more play time. Drouin is in the same prospect range as Vasilevskiy - they need to play. Yzerman has to get the value out of these players - when their value is at their highest. That time is now for Bishop.

What could we get for Bish in the open market? Or do we have on our hands another NMC situation with Bish?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
2014. Injury before playoffs. Team out 1st round
2015. Injury in the SCF. Team loses in cup final
2016. Injury in ECF. Team loses in ECF.

Bishop got the team to all these places, then gets hurt and costs the team. Its a tough one. Injury prone? I don't know but it really sucks that he's gotten hurt when we've needed him the most. Definitely one of the top 2-3 if not #1 best player on the team. Three 30+ win seasons, steals us games, one of the best puck handling goalies in the league. Tough to replace that, but Vasi does show promise, can they go on just that alone to get rid of Bish?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The main point is to understand the business side of the game. We all love Bishop and personally I've been claiming for a while he's our most valuable player on the team, yes even more than Hedman IMO. I'm talking as one of his biggest supporter. But we need to change our approach, because it's flawed. Our possession game is suspect. The goal scoring, particularly when Kuch or Johnson are slumping tends to be clearly below average. Bish can only stand on his head as long as a human body can, and it seems it's not humanly possible to stay healthy when you need to steal 2 playoffs games per series. We're slowly becoming a younger version of the New York Rangers. The mindset of our skaters relies too much on a skillset based on defense. We have 3 forwards capable to take over a series production wise, Killorn and Palat are well-balanced but the rest of the team is just too one-dimension and plain terrible at scoring goals and/or even generate puck possession or smart plays. We just have too many Filpullas, Callahans, Browns and all here, they're very responsible players but they almost never score in the playoffs.

Now how can we improve this team ? Bish's likely to command a significant raise, something around $7M per season is very possible. Vasy's not nearly as great but he's already a decent goaltender and good enough to be reliable on a Cup contending line-up. Time will also play in Vasy's favor, he'll get better with more playing time.

The most difficult has already been done though, our top 6 is frigging legit and playoffs tested, one of the most productive in the playoffs the past 2 years, but depth at forward is absolutely key in the playoffs because your top 6 can't own such high competition for 2 months in a row. Sometimes they need support, help, a breath of fresh air... Just something !

Schneider was traded for a top 10 draft pick and he wasn't as nearly proven as Bish is now. Ain't gonna say he could bring us back a lot more but not only we'd be capable to clear some colossal cap-space, we would resolve the expansion draft concern at the same time AND also we could improve the skating squad with a young player on cheap contract having a minimum of scoring touch and offensive IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad