All Goalie Talk

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You also don't know if Vasy will ever reach this level. Bishop might well be a top-2 goalie in the world. He's likely been our MVP in two of his three seasons with us. As good as Vasy might wind up being, it's a tall order for anybody to be as good as Bishop has been for us (when healthy).

It's not an easy decision. I think we'll put it off for as long as we possibly can.

He doesn't have to be as good. How often does the best goalie in the world win the Cup? He just has to be good.

I agree though, we will put it off for as long as possible.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
While we're worried about losing one of them to the expansion draft, there is precedent for leaving a pending UFA goalie exposed and then signing them later. Mike Richter was selected by the Nashville Predators and then re-signed with the New York Rangers. The Predators got a compensatory pick for their trouble. Other teams also have made trades with expansion teams for not selecting certain players, so that's another option.

Just bringing that up since I know there was some worry in the expansion speculation thread.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He doesn't have to be as good. How often does the best goalie in the world win the Cup? He just has to be good.

When the best goalie in the world is playing behind a really good team, they win the cup a fair bit. It's just not a common combination.

Jonathan Quick comes to mind though, and even Tim Thomas. They were both elite at the time they won their cups (or, in Quick's case, his first).

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach

The thing is who knows if we would even be in the playoffs this year without Bish? I honestly think he is probably the most important piece on this team. I still have nightmares of starting goalies of the likes of Grahame, Marc Denis, Holmqvist, Ellis, nittymaki, Mike Smith, and Lindback. Bishop is a big reason that we are a contender.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
thats a bit harsh so dont feel he is messing him up too badly but you see the rust in his last six games so they need to play more plain and simple and if that means he goes up and down like a yo yo that is what you do for him
I'm hoping the crunch make the playoffs let him go play there since bishop plays for us every night anyway by our playoffs.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=875728

vasy not making excuse but saying how difficult it is to play with limited ice time

good for him pay attention stevie !!

You don't sit a goalie who's 11-2 going into the playoffs with 3 shutouts and around 30 or 40 goal of the year save candidates.

I know Vasy needs time. But if Bishop keeps playing like this we won't see Vasy as our starter for at least 5 years, and let's be honest... The kid isn't going to stick around that long.

Ride the goalie we've got while it's smooth sailing and he's playing in beast mode.

He's just playing TOO good to sit.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
You don't sit a goalie who's 11-2 going into the playoffs with 3 shutouts and around 30 or 40 goal of the year save candidates.

I know Vasy needs time. But if Bishop keeps playing like this we won't see Vasy as our starter for at least 5 years, and let's be honest... The kid isn't going to stick around that long.

Ride the goalie we've got while it's smooth sailing and he's playing in beast mode.

He's just playing TOO good to sit.

I understand the sentimentality but that'd be a big error. Huge goalies who play in the butterfly 95% of the time don't age well, and Bish has always seemed injury prone to boot. Unless he can defy the laws of physics/aging, we've got to be ready to move on from him in no more than 3 years, maybe 4, at the very most.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
What's up with Vasi? He's seemed very inconsistent this year after flashing high end skill last year. I know he's still young for a goalie but it's a bit concerning that he's having this much trouble with positioning still. Definitely should have stayed in the AHL an extra year.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
What's up with Vasi? He's seemed very inconsistent this year after flashing high end skill last year. I know he's still young for a goalie but it's a bit concerning that he's having this much trouble with positioning still. Definitely should have stayed in the AHL an extra year.

He's having trouble being the backup and going long stretches between starts.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What kinda excuse is that? He should be fired up and go into games like it's his last game. Focus at 110%. The guy in front of him is a Vezina caliber goalie, the only chance he gets more games is when he's better than that guy. So go out there and show them how much you want it, show them what you've got.

Not enough games or not, there were definitely goals by MTL last night that he should have had, in fact goals that are routine saves for an NHL goalie. Getting your glove not high enough in time is just... bad.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
This hasn't been a great season for the guys looking to fill Bishop's skates. Both Vasy and Kristers have been wildly inconsistent. Wilcox seemed to pull it together at points, but it's still early days there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What kinda excuse is that? He should be fired up and go into games like it's his last game. Focus at 110%. The guy in front of him is a Vezina caliber goalie, the only chance he gets more games is when he's better than that guy. So go out there and show them how much you want it, show them what you've got.

Not enough games or not, there were definitely goals by MTL last night that he should have had, in fact goals that are routine saves for an NHL goalie. Getting your glove not high enough in time is just... bad.

It's not so much this game that we're (or at least I'm) talking about. It's more that, I'm not seeing any development in Vasy's game from last year. All the things he struggled with before are the things he's still struggling with. And you can't help but wonder if he's just not getting enough games to develop on schedule. I would have liked to have seen a little progress. Instead, it's more likely we've seen a slight regression.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's not so much this game that we're (or at least I'm) talking about. It's more that, I'm not seeing any development in Vasy's game from last year. All the things he struggled with before are the things he's still struggling with. And you can't help but wonder if he's just not getting enough games to develop on schedule. I would have liked to have seen a little progress. Instead, it's more likely we've seen a slight regression.

It's almost like he's a 20 year old goalie that needs 50 games a year to develop. It's almost like he should have been in the AHL this year instead of riding pine behind Bishop.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's almost like he's a 20 year old goalie that needs 50 games a year to develop. It's almost like he should have been in the AHL this year instead of riding pine behind Bishop.

Pretty much, yeah. I don't think he's going to work the holes in his game out by playing every 10 days.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
A goalie is not like a quarterback. You can't have your young stud sit on the bench as an understudy like Favre-Rodgers. Young goalies need playing time. Even with proper development time, most goaltenders don't hit their stride until they're about 26. Vasi is 20 and he's getting **** on because he can't be his best when he plays 3 times a month.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I agree he's not getting much games but theres now ay he's even coming close to taking Bishops #1 spot. Bishop is too damn good. Vasi needs another year or two down in the AHL to be the #1 guy there. Kids not ready

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I agree he's not getting much games but theres now ay he's even coming close to taking Bishops #1 spot. Bishop is too damn good. Vasi needs another year or two down in the AHL to be the #1 guy there. Kids not ready
Yep I notice every time he sits for to long he plays badly then goes back to the ahl plays some games comes back up
And he is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad