All Goalie Talk

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I think he would be foolish to move back home personally if he wants an nhl career.

See, that's the problem with your assumption right there. Not everyone cares that much about NHL vs KHL or another European League. A lot of lower-tier Europeans prefer to play closer to home rather than try to battle their way out of the minors for years in NA.

As you note, he's been unremarkable so he may never even have a shot in the NHL. If he wants to make money while he's still young, and healthy, he'd likely make more back in Europe vs. sitting in the AHL with the spot benchwarming in Tampa.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
See, that's the problem with your assumption right there. Not everyone cares that much about NHL vs KHL or another European League. A lot of lower-tier Europeans prefer to play closer to home rather than try to battle their way out of the minors for years in NA.

As you note, he's been unremarkable so he may never even have a shot in the NHL. If he wants to make money while he's still young, and healthy, he'd likely make more back in Europe vs. sitting in the AHL with the spot benchwarming in Tampa.

Assumption? If you are saying is another way than AHL to guarantee to give a guy a best shot at NHL as a goalie ?? He is fifth round overall pick whom who can we look at with same path? Ohh look detroit red wings Petr Mrazek he has the stats that say after his two years in minors he got a call up and its worked out.

For gudslevkiy his stats do not warrant an immediate call up for any reason yet even if is backing up a guy bishop or vasi this year he simply needs more work and to get into the 2.10 gaa and 920's save percentage.

Hes on the right path though if he goes to sweden or chezk or russia he will need better numbers. If he stays in ahl is a direct path the other leagues not soo much.

Is the truest path for him to throw that away when hes right on the cusp is just incredibly stupid imho kinda drouin stupid or if tanner richard had went home whose sitting as next guy that gets called up lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Assumption?

Hes on the right path though if he goes to sweden or chezk or russia he will need better numbers.

Yes, your assumption that what he wants is to make the NHL no matter what that takes, even if there are solid offers in Europe on the table. AFAIK, he's never made such a statement. Some guys are hell-bent on playing in the NHL while others are fine with giving it a shot, but also perfectly content playing in Europe. Especially, you know, Europeans.

I'm not suggesting he goes to Europe as a way to get back to North America and the NHL. Where did I ever say that? I said a smart person would review all their options, including going to Europe to make more money since he hasn't had a ton of success here. If he goes back to play in Finland or the KHL or whatever, he's probably staying there and that's OK.

BTW, Mrazek's worst year in the AHL he had better stats then Gudlevskis has ever had. That comparison isn't even close to even.

[MOD]

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yes, your assumption that what he wants is to make the NHL no matter what that takes, even if there are solid offers in Europe on the table. AFAIK, he's never made such a statement. Some guys are hell-bent on playing in the NHL while others are fine with giving it a shot, but also perfectly content playing in Europe. Especially, you know, Europeans.

I'm not suggesting he goes to Europe as a way to get back to North America and the NHL. Where did I ever say that? I said a smart person would review all their options, including going to Europe to make more money since he hasn't had a ton of success here. If he goes back to play in Finland or the KHL or whatever, he's probably staying there and that's OK.

BTW, Mrazek's worst year in the AHL he had better stats then Gudlevskis has ever had. That comparison isn't even close to even.

[MOD]

I wasnt calling you foolish or naive was saying to think is a better path could be taken as such. Maybe lack of grasp but sincerely was not meant as put down relooking at it.

If everyone accepted me as their crazy drunken uncle lol like randy quaid from vacation movies lol maybe id ruffle less figures.

I like all views dont think know everything. I think guds is right on path just like wilcox was detroit fans were all over it if we don't bring up hes going to run back to czech league etc.. last few seasons but they held ground and is working out.

I am hoping for same thing with guds hes a good goalie needs the reps and should have better team surrounding him moving forward which really could go a long way.

For me if he left this year that would be the drouin type of move super stupid because hes leaning on the good to me. So was calling him making that decision or meaning to as the naive or foolish and wasnt meant to you. Just get things in head as writing mixed up. Till is pointed out lol dont catch it.

Is amazing though can go and look back at times and im like disgusted in my cognitive thinking writing and english. Yet to criticize myself in this situation might be worst thing can do and make me get depressed so avoid reading everything over and over.

again apologize and this is to everyone I do not know it all if come across just like talking sports hockey lightning somewhat of that order:) I know my thinking english is worst at times and times ok. Is sad to me to deal with it think on it so try not to put too much into the criticism of self on what can/cant do in regards to cleaning up. I dont judge people here can always agree to disagree look at me and hosemdown lol i agree with him at times and if do that everyones viewpoint is good:) Haha hose thats a joke

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Karri Ramo went to the KHL for some decent money after being buried in the AHL with us, then came back to the NHL and signed a two year contract for $5.8 million and another contract for $3.8 million. Seems to me like he made a pretty smart move. I wouldn't blame Gudlevskis for trying the same path.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Karri Ramo went to the KHL for some decent money after being buried in the AHL with us, then came back to the NHL and signed a two year contract for $5.8 million and another contract for $3.8 million. Seems to me like he made a pretty smart move. I wouldn't blame Gudlevskis for trying the same path.

ya hes an odd one played terrible for us and norfolk just bad numbers till was 24 scooted over to russia put up great numbers lol comes back to nhl puts up imho legit good or ok numbers as backup or ok starting goalie in league

is interesting cause he was next guy up same situation that guds finds himself in right now if im next call up or back up id stay here

i do think guds this is most important year he needs a ton of ice time this year to get consistent results depending on his feelings of splitting time with wilcox

this makes a lot more sense to me now since you brought up kari than it did as was talking with graffiti

interesting i could see where getting full time number one goalie at this point might be right decision

id hate for us to bring him in to backup bishop or vasilevskiy at this point cause he needs full reps as many games as can get right now

kinda like vasy how his reps last year probably slowed down his development also

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Kristers just was on one of the Latvian sport TV shows.

And when asked to talk about goalie situation, of course, agreed that he is a 3rd goalie onthe team.

But what I thought was really interesting, when asked a question what Tampa should do if NHL expands, who to protect, I really thought he said it genuinely and with a lot of respect, that he thinks Bishop is the best goalies in the word right now...

edit: And some other things about him, if someone is interested.

He said he has a contract offer (as I understood in NA), but still agent is negotiating.

Said he was ok with situation in Tampa. Said that if staff thought he isn't ready to play more games, that means he wasn't. so he needs to work harder and improve.

He will host a summer camp for a young Latvian goalies. ;)

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Kristers just was on one of the Latvian sport TV shows.

And when asked to talk about goalie situation, of course, agreed that he is a 3rd goalie onthe team.

But what I thought was really interesting, when asked a question what Tampa should do if NHL expands, who to protect, I really thought he said it genuinely and with a lot of respect, that he thinks Bishop is the best goalies in the word right now...

edit: And some other things about him, if someone is interested.

He said he has a contract offer (as I understood in NA), but still agent is negotiating.

Said he was ok with situation in Tampa. Said that if staff thought he isn't ready to play more games, that means he wasn't. so he needs to work harder and improve.

He will host a summer camp for a young Latvian goalies. ;)
Thanks for the insight, appreciate it!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hope to still have Kristers here as the backup when the decision of Bishop/Vasi comes to a close.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Hope to still have Kristers here as the backup when the decision of Bishop/Vasi comes to a close.

I think he's also having that in the back of his mind. KG's likely to have a bigger opportunity with Tampa sooner than later.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016

I absolutely LOVE reading this. This is the kind of attitude you want to see out of a prospect, and it's the kind of attitude that (barring injury) will allow a player to reach his maximum potential.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I absolutely LOVE reading this. This is the kind of attitude you want to see out of a prospect, and it's the kind of attitude that (barring injury) will allow a player to reach his maximum potential.

Yeah, once Krister's finds that one extra gear he's going to be battling for a #1 spot in a few years. Would love to have him as a full time backup for a couple years though.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
He'll likely go back home. Just not sure he can put his game together here.

FWIW, a Latvian hockey blogger is reporting today that we've made him an offer and he's likelycoming back (see below). I know Gudlevskis has been doing media in Latvia this week to promote his coming Summer camp, but don't know the source of this.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
FWIW, a Latvian hockey blogger is reporting today that we've made him an offer and he's likelycoming back (see below). I know Gudlevskis has been doing media in Latvia this week to promote his coming Summer camp, but don't know the source of this.

That's great to hear. I think he will turn into a great goalie. I may be in the minority on that but I think he'll be a #1 at some point in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad