Post-Game Talk: All aboard the Jurco hype train

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
But he didn’t do the right thing. Moving his feet and trying to reach and get a poke on the puck or a stick lift would be the right thing. A super obvious hook was 100% not the right thing. It was the wrong thing and it put us down a goal.

Samorukov did what would be expected to stop that breakaway. He did nothing wrong. Brouchard and Samorukov should be pissed at Currie for that stupid pass.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Samorukov did what would be expected to stop that breakaway. He did nothing wrong. Brouchard and Samorukov should be pissed at Currie for that stupid pass.
Apparently we should just give penalty shots to every player that gets a step on our D. Nothing wrong with that at all.....

Believe it or not it is possible to disrupt a breakaway without giving up a penalty shot.

Not surprised Samurokov is walking on water already here though.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
The Oilers 6 dmen in this last game had 35 Corsi events (shots/blocked shots/missed shots) compared to the entire Canucks team that had 39 combined.

The previous game vs the Jets, the Oilers 6 dmen had 31 Corsi events vs 42 for the entire Jets lineup.

It's very clear that the dmen have been given the green light to activate and engage on offense a lot more than in the past. The 5 up and 5 back philosophy seems to be getting through to the players... of course it's early and we'll have to see how that all works out with a "real" NHL roster and if they have the horses to be successful with that type of system... but regardless the team looks to be more actively determined to create more offense on a team wide basis with contributions from across the board.

Not really what I saw. Three factors:

1. The Oilers had more zone time than we're used to seeing.
2. More faceoff wins means more touches for the dmen.
3. The D-Men were shooting a lot. Like a ton of wristers towards the net from the point.

Personally, I like it. I like when the d-men shoot the puck. But there really wasn't any special "5 up, 5 back" strategy of any kind. In fact "5 up, 5 back" is just the same thing as TMac and Woodcrofts "connected" hockey, or "playing as a 5 man unit" or whatever other euphemism gets thrown around to mean "work together, and play some damn defence, please".

When it's the 3rd loss in a row, and the offence is hard to come by, everybody will be saying, "stupid strategy of just throwing pucks from anywhere! Fire Tippett!"

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm not saying that the hook was a good play, I'm saying that he did the right thing by trying to disrupt the puck carrier. When you are behind a player and reaching, penalties can happen but you can't just stop skating and let the guy get a clean break.

Bottom line is that the goal wasn't primarily Samorukov's fault, it was Currie's fault. He did nothing wrong on the Petersson goal either, that was a bad rebound and slow reaction from Bouchard.

This is exactly the issue I have with +/- and why people fawn over somebody like Benning because of his + numbers. It only tells a small part of the story when evaluating player performance especially in smaller sample sizes.

I have a hard time even putting any blame on Bouchard or Samurokov for the Petterson goal. That was strictly a poor play by Starrett (it was a muffin shot) who otherwise had a fairly good game.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Apparently we should just give penalty shots to every player that gets a step on our D. Nothing wrong with that at all.....

Believe it or not it is possible to disrupt a breakaway without giving up a penalty shot.

Not surprised Samurokov is walking on water already here though.

You have blinders on if you think that the defensemen were the major problem on that play. Currie is about a foot away from Bouchard and he tries to backhand him a pass right at the blue line with a Jets player right there. Bad bad play. After that, it was all the defense could do to try to chase and catch the Jets player.

The fact that Samorukov was quick enough to catch the forward and try to make a play to break it up is a big positive. Any criticism of HOW he attempted to catch the Jets forward on the breakaway is wholly secondary. It is a minor criticism in the big picture. Of the three players involved (Bouchard, Currie, and Samorukov) Samorukov has the least culpability on that play and he did the most to try and correct the Currie/Bouchard gaff.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I didn't see the 3rd, but from what I saw.

Good things from Starrett, continues to impress.

Bouchard, Samorukov(sp) and Bear were pretty solid, honestly, I think Samorukov(sp) likely needs some time in the AHL.
I like some of the pressure and forecheck from the forwards throughout the game. Jurco showed some skill, might have the early lead on the 13th forward role, imo.

Tough they loss, but what can you do. Also Manning isn't an NHL player, just full stop.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Edmonton now has a ton of wingers, but no center depth, if Khaira isn´t one. Maybe Oilers need to look at him as a 4C? 1st line, Jurco RNH Neal, Nygård Sheahan Gagner, Chiasson Khaira Archibald. 13/14 : Granlund, Russel/Cave/Haas. RIght now I think an extra center is great, So the last vote goes to Cave to stick as the 14th man.

I like Russel, if he risks to be taken on waivers, keep him. We can send Haas down to aclimate to NA style a bit, I hope Haas doesnt been promised a roosterspot when signed.

You're saying a team with McDavid, Drai, and RNH has no center depth?

I'm... Ok.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You have blinders on if you think that the defensemen were the major problem on that play. Currie is about a foot away from Bouchard and he tries to backhand him a pass right at the blue line with a Jets player right there. Bad bad play. After that, it was all the defense could do to try to chase and catch the Jets player.

The fact that Samorukov was quick enough to catch the forward and try to make a play to break it up is a big positive. Any criticism of HOW he attempted to catch the Jets forward on the breakaway is wholly secondary. It is a minor criticism in the big picture. Of the three players involved (Bouchard, Currie, and Samorukov) Samorukov has the least culpability on that play and he did the most to try and correct the Currie/Bouchard gaff.
You have blinders on if you think that super blatant, super unnecessary hook didn’t directly lead to a goal against.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I didn't see the 3rd, but from what I saw.

Good things from Starrett, continues to impress.

Bouchard, Samorukov(sp) and Bear were pretty solid, honestly, I think Samorukov(sp) likely needs some time in the AHL.
I like some of the pressure and forecheck from the forwards throughout the game. Jurco showed some skill, might have the early lead on the 13th forward role, imo.

Tough they loss, but what can you do. Also Manning isn't an NHL player, just full stop.

I agree that Starrett had a solid game but all in all, hes also a good part of why we lost the game. Overall I still think its a positive that he can build upon from a preseason game. I didnt like the third goal against and while its hard to blame a goalie for a penalty shot goal, I didnt particularly like his movement. He didnt have a bad game per say but Demko outplayed him. Unfornutately too many times last year the oppositions goalie outplayed ours. Its hard to win in this league when thats the case.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree that Starrett had a solid game but all in all, hes also a good part of why we lost the game. Overall I still think its a positive that he can build upon from a preseason game. I didnt like the third goal against and while its hard to blame a goalie for a penalty shot goal, I didnt particularly like his movement. He didnt have a bad game per say but Demko outplayed him. Unfornutately too many times last year the oppositions goalie outplayed ours. Its hard to win in this league when thats the case.
That's fine, Demko is an NHL goalie, I still Starrett as developing.

Edit: The good moments, give me further hope that he will continue to develop as goaltender.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
That's fine, Demko is an NHL goalie, I still Starrett as developing.

Edit: The good moments, give me further hope that he will continue to develop as goaltender.

I agree that Demko is a more highly touted goalie but at the same time, Starrett is 2 more years older than Demko and is at the age where he should be pushing. It is something positive for Starrett to build on though, he had a very good year in the AHL last year.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sure. Do you remember why there was a breakaway in the first place?
Of course terrible play by Currie as ive stated multiple times but that doesn’t absolve Samurokov from everything. He had plenty of time to skate with him and get his stick on sutters stick or the puck. If he can’t skate with sutter then that in itself is a problem. It was an awful play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What’s the argument that pairing had a bad game? They were on the ice for both our goals for and were the only pairing not to get scored on. Like in what world does that constitute a bad game? I’m trying to understand.

You could say Bear left something to be desired offensively and that would be fair. Albeit I would say you could say that about all the D tonight besides Nurse.

A lot of it seems due to precontemplation and confirmation bias.

Posters might expect to not like a pairing, the game ensues, and then they don't like the pairing, fairly regardless of the results. Personally I like Bear, I don't like Manning, but there was nothing untoward in the play of either.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Of course terrible play by Currie as ive stated multiple times but that doesn’t absolve Samurokov from everything. He had plenty of time to skate with him and get his stick on sutters stick or the puck. If he can’t skate with sutter then that in itself is a problem. It was an awful play.

LOL. You are just joking around now.

I think you are misremembering how the play unfolded.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Only saw the 1st period but watching them do those nice little short passes to get out of their zone instead of ringing the boards was a breath of fresh air.

Hopefully that keeps up.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I thought as a whole we played very well. A few gaffes, but largely we outplayed a much more talented team and had a chance to win.

That's a win in my book. I can't remember the last time the Oilers dominated possession like that. Seemingly won every puck battle and just came in waves. Refreshing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Demko had a solid game... but the post helped as well and a few more times the puck skittered dangerously close to going in. There were some mistakes made by a largely AHL roster that some NHL players (Sutter/Pettersson) capitalized on and that pretty much sums up a game where the Oilers outplayed their opposition.

If both teams had their full rosters and the chances were similar... I think the Oilers win that type of game well over 50% of the time.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
LOL. You are just joking around now.

I think you are misremembering how the play unfolded.
I literally just re watched it an hour ago. Your saying hooking him in a ridiculously obvious way was his ONLY option? That’s your opinion?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A bunch of these comments tonight but very few responses refuting anything I said.

Its unfortunate the types of responses you replied to are so common here. And even applauded here. They offer nothing to discussion on a discussion board.

@voxel a former regular poster here dropped by to make a couple comments in the GDT and h got smarmed with "you didn't watch the game" type comments and other mocking comments. With many of those from posters that don't really break down plays much like Voxel can and did here often. But he'll probably think twice about trying to have reasonable hockey conversation here.

Reactions: MessierII

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Persson hype train, traveling 70 mph, leaves Westford heading toward Eastford, 260 miles away. At the same time Jurco hype train, traveling 60 mph, leaves Eastford heading toward Westford. When do the two trains meet? How far from each city do they meet?

They meet 2 hours in, 140 miles from Westford, 120 miles from Eastford. Any more brain busters??

Reactions: Del Preston

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3