Post-Game Talk: All aboard the Jurco hype train

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Adam Larsson was brain dead on the go ahead goal covering no one and leaving Nurse to have to cover 2 guys in front of the net.

Tippett is gonna have to get through to this guy, he needs to get back to being at least solid defensively.

Bouch should probably start in the AHL. He can make plays, but he has things to work on like most 19 year olds do.

Yeah... I have ZERO idea what Larsson even thought he was trying to do on that goal. Right from the draw he just leaves the front of the net, wanders into the slot, effectively screening the goalie and nowhere near Sutter... you know, the guy he should have been covering in front. Very odd decision making on that one!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Team worked hard. Hope that's a theme going forward as opposed to a bunch of guys fighting for jobs.

Bouchard looks like he still needs a year in the AHL. Nothing wrong with that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Our goal as a team and main focus this year is cutting GA and that is something tippet takes very seriously. Bear and Manning were the best pairing defensively by far tonight. It’s not a coincidence that they were on the ice for both our goals and were the only pair that didn’t give one up. Manning’s contract means nothing to my evaluation of his play in this game. He was solid.

I get that people love the flashy offense of that young pair but they were a mess defensively and Samurokovs penalty would get you benched in the regular season. Their offense didn’t get anything done tonight. Bouchard had some nice passes but was struggling to get his shot through and the only notable moment Samurokov had offensively was him passing on the cleanest look anyone would have all night. Don’t get me wrong you see the upside in these guys but they are ultimately the biggest reason we lost this game tonight.

Are you talking about the penalty where Currie missed Bouchard with a suicide pass and Samorukov had no choice but to hook Sutter who was on a clear breakaway? How is that Smaorukov's fault again?

The only notable moment offensively for Samorukov? Besides that, they hit a post off his shot on the PP, they hit another post late in the game with the goalie pulled and he was buzzing in the offensive zone all night. They were a little rough defensively at times but the puck was consistently in the opposition zone when those two were on the ice. I didn't even mention the other post they hit off the McLeod shot which was created by the Samorukov/Bouchard breakout. Of the two, I thought Bouchard was the one who had the weaker game if anything.

FWIW, I agree with you on Manning and Bear. They didn't really stand out but they were effective. I think there's bias when it comes to assessing Manning. People will always have it in their head that he's the guy who hurt McDavid so he'll always be frowned on by a lot of Oiler fans.

Last edited:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
How in the **** did Nurse have a bad game ? Lol...What were you watching ? You mean the 3rd Canuck goal where Larsson left his man for no good reason and Nurse had to try to cover for him this leaving his man open In the process...

Never mind that the centre (I believe it was Cave) was nowhere to be found in the passing lane that should be his responsibility too. That was a group effort giving up that goal. To single out Nurse for it, from my vantage point is just asinine. I reckon there were 2 guys more responsible than Nurse for that play being there.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Someone mentioned Vanek, is he available? If so, that'd be a Holland Special (in a good way). Legit scoring threat, great shot, floats a bit and is slow, but the effort is there.

Nice to see Jurco get off to a good start, we had such high hopes for him in Detroit (he was kind of a Youtube sensation, so there was a lot of hype)... and, for reasons I can't even remember, he just never really amounted to much. He has all the hands in the world, hopefully he finds his game with the Oilers, it would be a nice bump to the overall skill level. Could see him on the PP for sure.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Are you talking about the penalty where Currie missed Bouchard with a suicide pass and Samorukov had no choice but to hook Sutter who was on a clear breakaway? How is that Smaorukov's fault again?

The only notable moment offensively for Samorukov? Besides that, they hit a post off his shot on the PP, they hit another post late in the game with the goalie pulled and he was buzzing in the offensive zone all night. They were a little rough defensively at times but the puck was consistently in the opposition zone when those two were on the ice. I didn't even mention the other post they hit off the McLeod shot which was created by the Samorukov/Bouchard breakout. Of the two, I thought Bouchard was the one who had the weaker game if anything.
You don’t ever hook someone on a breakaway and it wasn’t that clean. Sutter had maybe 10’ to work with. In a Reg season game that gets you benched. The entire Oiler team was in the opposition zone all night. That wasn’t something unique to them. They were the main culprits on two goals against and had other moments in the D zone that were questionable. Like I said you can see the upside but these guys are not ready. We’re trying to trim our GA by a huge amount here. The offensive flair is nice but it needs to get results when your making mistakes like they were defensively.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
And further to that, I'm going to side with the people that say Bouchard and Samorukov weren't the best defensive pairing out there. Yes they showed some really good moments, but overall they looked like a couple rookies and had plenty of areas for improvement. They showed me there are some players there with more refining, but they didn't have the amazing games some people want to attribute to them.
Bear didn't do much offensively but I actually thought he played a pretty solid game, Manning too was fine. Nurse and Larsson were good but as usual people hold onto the couple mistakes and ignore the rest.

Was a game that probably should have been won but the bounces didn't go in the Oilers favour. McLeod hits the post when he's got the goalie down and out and then the Canucks turn around and get a rebound right on the stick of Pettersen for the easy goal to tie. Just the way she goes.

Reactions: MessierII

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You don’t ever hook someone on a breakaway and it wasn’t that clean. Sutter had maybe 10’ to work with. In a Reg season game that gets you benched. The entire Oiler team was in the opposition zone all night. That wasn’t something unique to them. They were the main culprits on two goals against and had other moments in the D zone that were questionable. Like I said you can see the upside but these guys are not ready. We’re trying to trim our GA by a huge amount here. The offensive flair is nice but it needs to get results when your making mistakes like they were defensively.

I'm still failing to see what Samorukov did wrong. The play was all started because Currie threw a poor pass (he's the one who should have been benched) so Samorukov out of desperation tried to catch Sutter and hooked him. What is he supposed to do? Stop skating and just let Sutter go in untouched?

They were the main culprit on one goal against and that was really Starrett's fault for letting out a juicy rebound. That Sutter goal was all due to the poor Currie pass, I don't know how you can blame the Dmen on that one.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm still failing to see what Samorukov did wrong. The play was all started because Currie threw a poor pass (he's the one who should have been benched) so Samorukov out of desperation tried to catch Sutter and hooked him. What is he supposed to do? Stop skating and just let Sutter go in untouched?

They were the main culprit on one goal against and that was really Starrett's fault for letting out a juicy rebound. That Sutter goal was all due to the poor Currie pass, I don't know how you can blame the Dmen on that one.
Yes. Attempt a poke or let him go. You never hook a guy and give up a penalty shot. It’s not like the goalie was down and out and he took the penalty to stop a guaranteed goal.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yes. Attempt a poke or let him go. You never hook a guy and give up a penalty shot. It’s not like the goalie was down and out and he took the penalty to stop a guaranteed goal.

Those hooks happen all the time out of desperation and from good vet defensemen. No coach in their right mind would bench a player for that but I bet there would be plenty of coaches who would bench Currie for that poor pass. Those guys made a few mistakes but that sequence certainly wasn't one of them.

Reactions: TB12

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Those hooks happen all the time out of desperation and from good vet defensemen. No coach in their right mind would bench a player for that but I bet there would be plenty of coaches who would bench Currie for that poor pass. Those guys made a few mistakes but that sequence certainly wasn't one of them.
Penalty shots do not happen all the time. That was a clear one. Not sure how you could argue that happens all the time.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Someone mentioned Vanek, is he available? If so, that'd be a Holland Special (in a good way). Legit scoring threat, great shot, floats a bit and is slow, but the effort is there.

Nice to see Jurco get off to a good start, we had such high hopes for him in Detroit (he was kind of a Youtube sensation, so there was a lot of hype)... and, for reasons I can't even remember, he just never really amounted to much. He has all the hands in the world, hopefully he finds his game with the Oilers, it would be a nice bump to the overall skill level. Could see him on the PP for sure.

Depends how the coach wants to use him.

In Detroit the coaches tried to change Jurco into a 4th line grinder.

Hoping he can stick in the NHL and that his defensive game improved.

Reactions: Oilhawks

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
From reading on here, I was taking it that he didn't do that well, that's all.

That’s crazy I haven’t read the full PGT but during the GDT he was being praised heavily.

I thought he played really well, he’s a one man breakout machine and so smooth with the puck. His pairing was around 75% Corsi for.

I also notice he’s a lot more physical on the boards, it seems to be an area he’s made a conscious effort to be more engaged defensively.

I’m very pleased with his play. He had a beautiful play where he jumped in the play and fed McLeod a point blank chance that McLeod put off the post.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
That’s crazy I haven’t read the full PGT but during the GDT he was being praised heavily.

I thought he played really well, he’s a one man breakout machine and so smooth with the puck. His pairing was around 75% Corsi for.

I also notice he’s a lot more physical on the boards, it seems to be an area he’s made a conscious effort to be more engaged defensively.

I’m very pleased with his play. He had a beautiful play where he jumped in the play and fed McLeod a point blank chance that McLeod put off the post.

Good to know. Thank you! Sorry for always interjecting into these, I have Bouchard in a full keeper league so I'm gauging if he's going to get 9 games or become a full regular or be sent down. Thanks!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good to know. Thank you! Sorry for always interjecting into these, I have Bouchard in a full keeper league so I'm gauging if he's going to get 9 games or become a full regular or be sent down. Thanks!

No no interject, I’m sure you’ll notice we’re insanely passionate about hockey and we love talking about hockey to anyone who genuinely wants to chat hockey. Come back whenever you want.

Our post game thread for a single preseason game will have more discussion than other boards entire preseason games combined.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Penalty shots do not happen all the time. That was a clear one. Not sure how you could argue that happens all the time.

I'm not saying the penalty shot, I'm saying players who are behind the play catching up and hooking the player out of desperation, or hooks that don't get called which happens quite frequently (to McDavid alone).
It's mind boggling that you'd blame Samorukov for that sequence.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
With Bouchard and Samorukov what is happening is people are looking at the highlights and ignoring the lowlights, which is fine, but a lot of people are looking at the lowlights for other pairings and ignoring the highlights (ie. Nurse and Larsson)

To me trying to be fair to everyone on D in the game last night Nurse was pretty dominant until the last 5 minutes of the game when his group got caught out for the go ahead goal and he lost the puck trying to make something happen with the empty net. So guess what the narrative is about Nurse? The people who always downplay him hold onto the negatives. Similarly people want so badly for Bouchard and Samorukov to be successful they hold onto the positives and nothing else matters.

I liked what the D was doing all around last night to be honest. It was harder to judge the forwards cause I don't know all their numbers off hand, but I thought Jurco had some good jump all game and was often in the right spot to create some scoring chances (like the goal he got). I liked McLeod, he's got speed and creativity, but I felt there wasn't a lot of chemistry with his linemates and some of the passes on that line were just a bit off. Benson I thought started slow but towards the end of the game was showing some nice creativity. I didn't get a good enough read on any of the other forwards, like most was more interested in how the D was going to play.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
No no interject, I’m sure you’ll notice we’re insanely passionate about hockey and we love talking about hockey to anyone who genuinely wants to chat hockey. Come back whenever you want.

Our post game thread for a single preseason game will have more discussion than other boards entire preseason games combined.

You're no Toronto in that respect, but close haha. But they are ones to make a signing thread on an AHL player and put up several pages of it in the main boards. I'm a Flyers fan myself.

Oh, and in the same league, I have McDavid, which is why I've kept Bouchard around :).

Reactions: snipes

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have no idea what everybody just watched. People are praising Bouchard and Sammy and dumping on Bear and Manning? What?

Bouchard and Samurokov had a terrible outing. Samurokovs bad penalty led directly to the Canucks first goal and him and Bouchard were again on the ice for vans second goal with Bouchard puck watching and missing his assignment on Pettersson the goal scorer. Bouchard had some nice flashes offensively like always but they didn’t create anything of note.

Bear and Manning were solid. They were on the ice for both our goals none against and supported the cycle and moved the puck very well all game. Quiet but effective night for them.

Nurse and Larsson were great as they should be. Victimized on the one goal against but they were on for so many scoring chances it was unlucky they couldn’t bury one.

I really don't know what to say on this.

I love that you went against conventional, because I do agree on the Sam/Bouch issues, though can't blame Sam on the penalty, that's more due to the bad pass handcuffing Bouch, who was too slow to recover. If he gets stick instead of hand on that attempt he nullifies a breakaway. All in all, I saw a pairing with potential but needs a little more time.

Bear/Manning. Bear was solid made some good plays but was also a little tentative at times. Manning had three pretty bad puck bobbles that often would have turned into goals, but the forwards and Bear did a good job limiting the damage.

Nurse/Larsson. Larsson looked slooooowwwww. But that's okay as it's early and vets usually start a little slow, his positioning was generally good though. Nurse was a disaster whenever he decided he wanted to impact the game. When he stuck to fundamentals he was okay. Didn't like him or Cave's positioning on the 3rd goal.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think there is a lot of people seeing what they want to see in here RE: Bouchard/Samorukov.

He can have all the 75% corsi games he wants (Nurse and Larsson were just as good here, btw) and it's not going to matter if he doesn't quit getting scored on.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You're no Toronto in that respect, but close haha. But they are ones to make a signing thread on an AHL player and put up several pages of it in the main boards. I'm a Flyers fan myself.

Oh, and in the same league, I have McDavid, which is why I've kept Bouchard around :).

We hate Toronto in more ways than just hockey, but I’ll save you the Western Canadian political alienation diatribe. Toronto is the centre of the universe after all.

Well if you’re a disciple of McJesus we expect you to pop in more even if you are a Philly fan.

I think @bobbythebrain is a Philly fan too.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not saying the penalty shot, I'm saying players who are behind the play catching up and hooking the player out of desperation, or hooks that don't get called which happens quite frequently (to McDavid alone).
It's mind boggling that you'd blame Samorukov for that sequence.
It’s pretty simple you don’t commit penalties on breakaways where the player has limited time and space. Ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad