Confirmed with Link: Alfredsson to Detroit for 1 year 3.5m with 2m in bonuses

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Imagine Yzerman leaving to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins for a second.

You won't, but please do anyway.

I imagine Detroit fans would not be this quiescent band of "gee-shucks, thanks for the memories" supporters.

Some fans still hate Fedorov for leaving. Some still boo Hossa. It's completely understandable how you all feel.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sorry. Not a fan of this move at all, if it happens. People were wondering if he was going to retire at the end of the season. Definitely not someone I want on the team. Another Modano signing...

You couldn't be further off, he was the best player on the Sens this year. Especially in the playoffs, he is a super star and absolutely dynamite at every aspect of the game. He has lost a step but his hands, hockey sense, shot and awareness are still off the charts.

Oh yeah you might not find a better leader, he can also run the PP and has a huge one timer.

He is our Yzerman, imagine he upped and left your team for a division rival that seemingly doesn't look much better.... Ottawa didn't have its two best players last year and had roughly the same amount of points as the wings last year.

I think from a rivalry standpoint its great from the division, clearly the Ottawa Senators are going to want to beat the wings and the Leafs absolutely hate him they will boo him every time he touches the puck.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have sort of been there because of Hossa. When he signed with us, I thought "oh well now he'll get his ring". When he lost back to backs, my heart broke for him. Then the ******* signs with Chicago of all places which makes me lose my mind. Naturally he actually DOES win the cup; was a bittersweet moment. Ended up rooting for him but not being thrilled with myself for doing so.

And that guy was a 1 year rental. I can't imagine if he'd been here 18 years. That sucks, sorry.

Edit: Little surprised, I just admitted to rooting for the Blackhawks and I haven't been killed by the giant death beam. Hrmmm....

No one feels the Hossa pain worse then the sens.... Drafted and developed to be dumped for heatley.... That was just brutal.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I'm actually annoyed about the baggage that comes with this signing. The pissed of Senators team.

No doubt in my mind Wings are better team than them but they sure as hell make it as hard as possible against us. In fact, their goal right now is to finish higher than Wings. I hope Wings play very hard and especially against Senators to prove Alfredsson made a right choice by dumping Senators.

btw our transition to eastern conference is going well dont you think? already made a huge enemy even before the season started. :laugh: Also we were supposed to surprise the teams in east. Dont think that's gonna be the case. Will just have to take em on head on.

crashman

I'm actually annoyed about the baggage that comes with this signing. The pissed of Senators team.

No doubt in my mind Wings are better team than them but they sure as hell make it as hard as possible against us. In fact, their goal right now is to finish higher than Wings. I hope Wings play very hard and especially against Senators to prove Alfredsson made a right choice by dumping Senators.

btw our transition to eastern conference is going well dont you think? already made a huge enemy even before the season started. :laugh: Also we were supposed to surprise the teams in east. Dont think that's gonna be the case. Will just have to take em on head on.

I hear what you're saying, but the Wings have been taking EVERYONE head on for the past 15 years. It never gets easy when everyone's always trying to knock you off the pedestal.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Sens GM, Murray, seemed upset att the press conference.. basically saying "We're eager to prove Alfie wrong" (That Ottawa doesn't have as good chance for the Cup as Detroit)

The Detroit-Ottawa games will be something else this season... 6 games total I believe? 3 in each building.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I think everyone wants to beat Detroit anyway.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Still stunned by this, I can't believe he'd leave Ottawa, and so decisively even. I feel for their fans.

I like this move though, especially if we can retain Brunner on the 3rd line. One year deal, PP weapon, sniper, experienced and hungry player. He gives our top six a fresh look (and Dats someone worth passing to). The difference between him and Modano at 40 is that he is burning to win and still wants to play, whereas Modano's heart clearly hadn't been in it for years before he came to Detroit.

KA BLAMO

Aug 18, 2008
It was inevitable that one day Alfie wouldn't play for Ottawa, though I never assumed it would go down like this. I'm absolutely heartbroken knowing he no longer plays for the Senators and I'm sure it'll take a long time to fully accept that. Regardless, you guys picked up an absolute beauty today and you better win him the damn Stanley Cup.

RedWingsNow*

39455250.jpg

Same answer as, can Ottawa beat comeback to beat Pittsburgh?

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I'm a little curious why the Wings though, next year they're a darkhorse if that.

Or is Lidstrom coming out of retirement? (I wish)

Some TSN guys even mentioned Detroit as being the favorite in the east.

I don't know. I feel really optimistic about this. It seems like the right combination of desire/heart to win + experience + youth this year. We added 2 top 6 guys with Tatar and Nyquist replacing production from Brunner and Filp. Pushed some dead weight down (Abdelkader) and kicked some out entirely (Cleary et. all).

Defense is untouched at this point, but goals against was less of an issue than anyone anticipated. If the back end can keep the same pace, we will most definitely be a force in the East. Forward depth is immensely better and scoring will improve.

After all, we took the Stanley Cup champs to game 7.. :laugh: ;)
Joking aside, this was one of the most successful free agent days KH has had in quite a while. Lots to be happy about.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
WOW, I was just watching sports on Fox2 detroit and Alfredson signs with Wings.This unbelievable.Hope he still has something left in the tank though.I like this signing alot.

Wish we could have been in the trade talks for Seguin though.That was a huge trade for the Bruins He would have also looked good in the winged wheel.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm sorry Sens fans, we didn't even want him. Silver Lining, it's one year and he'll be a terrific mentor for Nyquist. I certainly hope he can win a cup here.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Would be hilarious to win the cup in our first year back in a division with Toronto. They reeeeally ****ing hate this guy. I think Ottawa fans would love us forever if that were to happen. Which would be cool cause I've always liked the Sens.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Would be hilarious to win the cup in our first year back in a division with Toronto. They reeeeally ****ing hate this guy. I think Ottawa fans would love us forever if that were to happen. Which would be cool cause I've always liked the Sens.

Can you imagine the I'm sorry posts to Kenny? While I still think there'd be some people who'd still bash him, there would be a good amount of praise me thinks.

Didn't know Toronto fans hated Alfie that much...

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Can you imagine the I'm sorry posts to Kenny? While I still think there'd be some people who'd still bash him, there would be a good amount of praise me thinks.

Didn't know Toronto fans hated Alfie that much...

Well, I will be the first to apologize. I mean I'm not overly thrilled with the moves and I think losing Brunner is a mistake. But he went out made some moves and I get the feeling he isn't done. I tthink he would still like to swing a big trade for a top 2 defenseman. Not such I want that to happen till we're at least a quarter of the way through the season and he can evaluate the young defensemend progression.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Methot played one season with Alfredsson, but raved of the 40-year-old's leadership abilities both on and off the ice.

"He's a guy you can just learn so much from," said Methot. "He handles himself so professionally no matter what the situation. I'm just thankful I had a chance to play with him."

Ottawa's Mika Zibanejad offered well wishes to his Swedish compatriot, but admitted he was saddened by his departure.
"He was a huge help," said Zibanejad. "Being a countryman I could be more comfortable to ask him stuff and get the help from him. It was an honour to play with him.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...t-still-feel-sting-of-captains-departure.html

Sens GM, Murray, seemed upset att the press conference.. basically saying "We're eager to prove Alfie wrong" (That Ottawa doesn't have as good chance for the Cup as Detroit)

The Detroit-Ottawa games will be something else this season... 6 games total I believe? 3 in each building.

5 or 4 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad