Confirmed with Link: Alfredsson to Detroit for 1 year 3.5m with 2m in bonuses

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
17 goals in 58 games is a 24 goal pace.
He's shown he's capable of 20 to 25 goals.

And that's just in his inaugural year.

Many of Brunner's goals have come from in close.

You deny that Brunner is a 20 goal guy or capable of 30 goals --

Yet then you say Alfreidsson has PROVEN he can help the Wings.

Frankly, there is no way to prove such a thing.

If Alfie plays 82 games and scores 17 goals and 46 points -- I'm not sure how much help that is and costs us $5M in the process...

We're already spending too much on old broken down Sammy and Bertuzzi.

Sooooo you're saying the EXACT same thing as last night. I don't see a full season anywhere in there. I don't see 20 goals anywhere in there. Those are "paced" numbers, projections that have not translated into reality. I'd say Alfie's career numbers lay a little more credibility to his possible help for the Wings than Brunner's abbreviated "success" (i don't see it as a success when someone disappears for 25 games in a 48 game season) predicts his future output over multiple 82 game seasons.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Seriously?
It's pretty obvious to me.
Weiss is our center to replace Flip. Same age. Same position. Same salary, etc.

Alfie is our righthanded shot to replace Brunner's righthanded shot.

Maybe we replace Cleary internally. Or maybe we resign Cleary.

Holland offered Brunner 2 and 3 year deals after they had agreed on a contract with Alfie. So no I don't believe the Alfie signing blocked Brunner from returning. The fact that they couldn't agree on a contract did.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Sooooo you're saying the EXACT same thing as last night. I don't see a full season anywhere in there. I don't see 20 goals anywhere in there. Those are "paced" numbers, projections that have not translated into reality. I'd say Alfie's career numbers lay a little more credibility to his possible help for the Wings than Brunner's abbreviated "success" (i don't see it as a success when someone disappears for 25 games in a 48 game season) predicts his future output over multiple 82 game seasons.
Well you must of hated Zetterberg year before last when he only had 10 goals in like March. Then again thus year when he had another huge dry spell. Athletes go through slumps especially rookies.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009

MOD

I do find it funny that somehow because flip has 4 hundredths of a point better pp60min on the third sunday of the fourth month of a year, every other year, he is somehow a better center than weiss. And I also like the fact that even though hudler always killed the entire team in pp60min nobody ever gave a crap about him but somehow in flips case it actually means something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Well you must of hated Zetterberg year before last when he only had 10 goals in like March. Then again thus year when he had another huge dry spell. Athletes go through slumps especially rookies.

I can see a couple of you are experiencing a disconnect between the concept of proven and unproven players. But to play the game with you, Z brings much more to the table than his scoring...Brunner does not.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I can see a couple of you are experiencing a disconnect between the concept of proven and unproven players. But to play the game with you, Z brings much more to the table than his scoring...Brunner does not.
You have a real issue with considering what someone is saying. We'll just leave it at that.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I actually see Alfredsson as more of a replacement for Samuelsson than Brunner. Tatar and Nyquist should be the candidates to replace Brunner's offense all the while each playing a more complete game. Weiss, obviously, replaces Flip and I'd like to see Morrow (granted he's healthy) replace Cleary.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
You have a real issue with considering what someone is saying. We'll just leave it at that.

So your inability to make true comparisons and understand why a drought for someone like Z (a proven veteran leader that brings much more than just scoring to the game) is nothing like a half-season drought for a pure scorer (who brings nothing else to the game) that has no NHL success to fall back on and say "it was just a drought, no biggie" is somehow a reflection on me?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Seriously?
It's pretty obvious to me.
Weiss is our center to replace Flip. Same age. Same position. Same salary, etc.

Alfie is our righthanded shot to replace Brunner's righthanded shot.

Maybe we replace Cleary internally. Or maybe we resign Cleary.

I'd rather look at it like this:

Weiss replace Filppula (2nd line)
Tatar replaces Brunner (3rd line)
Alfredsson replaces Cleary (top 6)

I would have liked to keep Brunner, but I understand the separation.

But realistically it looks like Cleary will be back which ruins that ideology.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So your inability to make true comparisons and understand why a drought for someone like Z (a proven veteran leader that brings much more than just scoring to the game) is nothing like a half-season drought for a pure scorer that has no NHL success to fall back on and say "it was just a drought, no biggie" is somehow a reflection on me?

It wasn't a comparison it was an example of how players hit rough patches. It's even more common for rookies. You completely ignore everything someone says that doesn't give along with your narrative. Then you twist words and attack the poster and not the post when someone makes a solid point.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Alfredsson is driven to win a Stanley Cup. He's not going to be a passenger on this team like Modano was. If healthy, I'm expecting a 65-70 point season out of him.

RedWingsNow*

Especially when the team changes its breakout mid-season and opts for "getting it out" instead of transition

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I actually see Alfredsson as more of a replacement for Samuelsson than Brunner. Tatar and Nyquist should be the candidates to replace Brunner's offense all the while each playing a more complete game.

Mmm, yeah. Could be.

But Alfie is pretty much THE right-handed pointman on the 1st PP. One of the best NHL pointmen forwards in near history.

Brunner tried to be same, but didn't had any experience. He would become good, after seasoning.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Holland offered Brunner 2 and 3 year deals after they had agreed on a contract with Alfie. So no I don't believe the Alfie signing blocked Brunner from returning. The fact that they couldn't agree on a contract did.

You got a link for that?

RedWingsNow*

I actually see Alfredsson as more of a replacement for Samuelsson than Brunner. Tatar and Nyquist should be the candidates to replace Brunner's offense all the while each playing a more complete game. Weiss, obviously, replaces Flip and I'd like to see Morrow (granted he's healthy) replace Cleary.

considering Sammy didn't play and isn't gone, this makes absolutely no sense to me, Sepster.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There was a Holland quote on my Facebook feed from the Wings page. I can't grab it on my phone but it can be found there.

I saw same in some article. Or it was a Tweet. But Holland said they offered 2-year and 3-year options for Brunner. And after that Brunner informed hitting in the market.

RedWingsNow*

I'd rather look at it like this:

Weiss replace Filppula (2nd line)
Tatar replaces Brunner (3rd line)
Alfredsson replaces Cleary (top 6)

I would have liked to keep Brunner, but I understand the separation.

But realistically it looks like Cleary will be back which ruins that ideology.

I'm finding it hard to believe Tatar will have room in next year's lineup.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
It wasn't a comparison it was an example of how players hit rough patches. It's even more common for rookies. You completely ignore everything someone says that doesn't give along with your narrative. Then you twist words and attack the poster and not the post when someone makes a solid point.

The point was invalid. Brunner was playing for a contract. The Brunner fan club is touting him as a "projected" 30-goal scorer now. I don't see reliability in someone that disappears for half a season. Think there's a reason, after a 66 point campaign, that they let Flip walk? Your example of Z's drought, again, is irrelevant because 1) he's not a pure goal scorer and 2) he's not a rookie trying to get paid for scoring (a contract implies reliability on such).

There's no word twisting. You used a shoddy example in attempt to disprove my reasoning, and it simply wasn't convincing. If you project that drought onto 82 games...you just saw a guy known for scoring net 4 goals in 43 games...that sure makes me look a lot harder at that 10 goal start. If not, we should just be excited to have the sniper that is Abby. I mean, he did score 5 goals in 3 games, a much better scoring stretch than Brunner enjoyed at any time during the season.

RedWingsNow*

I know they made offers. But did they make offers AFTER Alfredsson signed.

Seems Really unlikely.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Lmao OK so we are going to pace a drought but not goals scored? Yea,we're done here.

Solid reply. You want to pace the scoring, and when I attempt to refute it with the drought, you run away with conclusive "we're done here."

Tell me, how many arguments do you actually win vs. how many arguments do you tell yourself you win? Can you "project" those numbers for me?

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
considering Sammy didn't play and isn't gone, this makes absolutely no sense to me, Sepster.

Holland signed Sammy to be a right-handed shot, play the point on the PP and add goal production. Sammy got hurt (and hurt, and hurt, and hurt) and killed that plan. It was at that point Brunner was thrust into the role on the PP and relied upon more heavily for goal production.

Fast forward to this offseason, Sammy may still be around but I'm sure the Wings aren't counting on him to do what they initially intended for him to do. I'll be surprised if he makes into the lineup at all. Therefore, the role that he was signed to fill last year has re-opened. Doubly so with Brunner leaving. I feel Alfredsson fills the multiple roles intended for Samuelsson pretty well. That's why I think of it that way.

Brunner was signed because he is an offensively aggressive player that wants the puck and wants to take it to the net and score. Tatar is the same way, he wants the puck, he wants to shoot it or drive it to the net and he wants to score and produce offense. Even though Tatar is younger than Brunner, I think he plays a harder, more complete game than Brunner and I think his ceiling is higher. I feel Tatar is an adequate replacement, and eventually, an upgrade over Brunner.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I don't see Alfredsson as a pure replacement for Brunner- he's sort of just an additional top 6 player we didn't have at the end of last season. On the point on the PP he will be and he should help us a lot on the PP- one of our weaknesses the last two seasons. But, at ES, Brunner was on the 3rd line and 9th on the team in ice time among forwards in the playoffs. Alfredsson will be on the 1st or 2nd line and a top 6 forward in ice time and will be relied on to face some of the other team's best players and could also play on the PK. Alfredsson will likely help bump Cleary out of a top 6 ice time role, especially if they prefer Abdelkader over Cleary in one of those spots on the top two lines. Either way, one of Abdelaker or Cleary will be bumped from a top 6 role b/c of Alfredsson's addition.

RedWingsNow*

Holland signed Sammy to be a right-handed shot, play the point on the PP and add goal production. Sammy got hurt (and hurt, and hurt, and hurt) and killed that plan. It was at that point Brunner was thrust into the role on the PP and relied upon more heavily for goal production.

That's the same role Brunner was signed for.
Didn't both guys play in the first game of the season, with Brunner playing the point on the PP??

Didn't the season start with a line of Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad