Confirmed with Link: Alfredsson to Detroit for 1 year 3.5m with 2m in bonuses

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Alfie with Datsyuk and Zetts? Many that is going to be a great line - a deadly pp. Feels like many Det fans are underestimating alfie. He cant gain the blue line the way he did when younger, but he can do so much so well. Hope you win a Cup for him.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Alfie will bring a lot of knowledge about how the game is played in the East. Invaluable, imo

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Always wondered if he would leave Ottawa near the end and if he would be willing to come here...seemed like a match made in heaven. It went down a little later than I had ever imagined but the guy still has it no question. Great signing IMO.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Just improved your PK to. If you don't watch the Sens, you may not know it but he is an elite PKer, and has done that his whole career. Unlike some top 6 forwards, he won't be sitting on the bench if you have a run of penalties.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Sure, he's no longer in his prime. But he's still a clear top 6 player and an upgrade over Bertuzzi/Cleary, etc., not to mention a great guy to have in the locker room to help mentor the younger players.

Plus, it's just a one year contract.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
tsn said we got a conference call coming up in few minute.

I'm sure they will only show first few minutes.

Let me know if you guys have a link that will show the full conference.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 5 min
In addition to leadership, experience, competitiveness, drive, etc, Babcock said key with Alfredsson is he gives Wings a right-handed shot.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Are people really complaining? I loved what I saw from Alfie in the playoffs. He's the Dallas Drake we've needed for a while

This. This is the cup hungry vet we've been missing. Top it off with Alfie still being a legit top 6 winger and a clear upgrade to much of what we saw last year. Plus the fact that it's a 1 year deal, I can't see too much negative.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Sweden in Sotji:

Zibanejad - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Steen - Bäckström - Hörnqvist
Hagelin - Berglund - Landeskog

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
If the Wings got a dollar in cap space back for everytime Holland, Alfredsson and Weiss said um or ah during this conference call, we would have a negative cap #

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
James Duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie 1m
Alfredsson: "I'm doing this for myself, I feel this is right for me and I really like the fit with the Detroit Red WIngs."

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Alfredsson basically said that he can't wait for OTT to be strong contender.

He also likes the way Wings play.

Talked with Zetterberg few times before deciding.

He sounds like he thinks OTT is rebuilding (which is partially true but also partially true for us)

Shawn Lutz

Oct 15, 2011
Rockwall TX
I don't like it myself but at least KH didn't sign him to a long-term contract :)

1 yr is easy to overcome if he's a bust.

We just got a lot older by adding an aging 41 vet to the lineup. I had hoped we broke that train...oh well. It is what it is and I'll welcome him to the the organization and hope he can stay healthy.

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
Good signings for Detroit.

-Now they have to get rid of Samullssen, Eaves.

-Bring in Brendan Morrow.

-Trade Jonathan Ericsson either this offseason, or next offseason.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
As has been said elsewhere:

Alfredsson, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi all off the books next offseason. That is upwards of $10M in cap space to play with. We could land a big fish and promote prospects, or just sign a couple of decent players. We set ourselves up to be competitive for a single year while still giving our prospects some playing time. What is there to dislike?

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Good signings for Detroit.

-Now they have to get rid of Samullssen, Eaves.

-Bring in Brendan Morrow.

-Trade Jonathan Ericsson either this offseason, or next offseason.

What's the reason behind this? Due to all the prospects coming up ?

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
As has been said elsewhere:

Alfredsson, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi all of the books next offseason. That is upwards of $10M in cap space to play with. We could land a big fish, and promote prospects, or just sign a couple of decent players. We set ourselves up to be competitive for a single year while still giving our prospects some playing time. What is there to dislike?

Exactly. Let's say Alfredsson signing totally busts. It's one year deal. (Two if bonus gets carried over). Gives one more year to our prospects (when I say prospect not Nyquist and Tatar but Jurco, etc.)
Much better than Brunner(not enough sample size), or Cleary to a long term deal

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't like it myself but at least KH didn't sign him to a long-term contract :)

1 yr is easy to overcome if he's a bust.

We just got a lot older by adding an aging 41 vet to the lineup. I had hoped we broke that train...oh well. It is what it is and I'll welcome him to the the organization and hope he can stay healthy.

Depends on the lineup they trot out, if the LTIR Samuelsson something I expect. Really the lineup is pretty much net younger or right on average.

Filppula 29-30 Weiss (so one year older, better and more consistent player)
Alfredsson is 40, but he is better than whatever player you want to pick for him replacing in the top 6 still
Brunner 28 assuming he doesn't resign he is replaced by someone 4 years younger at least
Cleary 34 just gone!
Sammy 36 Hopefully LTIR
Bert - slotted correctly down the lineup

This move was for the right term, it also forced them not to give term to Cleary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad