Confirmed with Link: Alfredsson to Detroit for 1 year 3.5m with 2m in bonuses

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
He might be. Maybe not though. Is Alfredsson's experience in Ottawa this past season closer to Iginla's experience in Calgary or Iginla's experience in Pittsburgh? I ask because Iginla's scoring pace in Calgary was the same as Alfredsson's scoring pace in Ottawa. Iginla only passed Alfredsson in scoring after he was traded to Pittsburgh and played with better players. And Alfredsson still out-paced Iginla in the playoffs.

I will reiterate that I'm happy to have Alfredsson here. While I can wish it were some other player, be it Iginla or Hossa or whoever, it's still better than unspent money. Alfie solidifies the top six and helps relieve pressure off Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Anyone thinking of a reboot of the old "two kids and a goat" line? One option is to put Alfie with Dat & Z. That would easily be their best wing man since the days they skated with Hull. The other possibility that intrigues me is to let Weiss center Franzen and whoever, and play Alfie on the third line with Nyquist and Andersson.

that's an expensive 3rd liner

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I believe most people would agree Ignilia is the more dangerous player at this stage.

But that's not to say it's not debatable who works better for the Red Wings. That's always an opinion call when you're talking about two veterans of such a high pedigree.

Not 2.5 mil in cap hit better.

I have to say, even though it's a year away the 2014 UFA class looks pretty promising. We'll likely need another defensemen, but there are some great forwards in there. Alfredsson could be a stopgap for Nyquist or Tatar, or we can fork out some big bucks if a few of the big names pass through to next July.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
@Landskronala

Definitely appreciate the compilation of clips- no question that he's got a sneaky-dirty and punk side to him. Although he has played forever, and you can probably dig up a few boarding clips or other sketchy moments for most guys who have played that long. And the first thing I thought of after Detroit signed him was Alfie firing the puck at the Ducks :laugh:... kinda funny b/c it was against Anaheim, but still a punk move.

The other thing that stood out in those clips is how awful a lot of the Sens jerseys have been over the years... not sure you can rule out Alfie just wanting to wear a classic jersey for a change as a reason to sign w/ Detroit (only Boston and Chicago have better jerseys IMO).

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
id be ehhhhh on this signing if detroit was still in the west.. but in the east? pfft you guys will dominate with or without alfy

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Alfie had a good run in the playoffs. No doubt about that. Still, we are only talking about 10 games. It isn't much of a sample size.

As far as Iginla, in 28 games with the Penguins he scored 9 goals and totaled 23 points. That's an 82 game pace of 26 goals and 67 points. Also, Iginla last missed a game due to injury in 2007. Oh, he's also a right handed shot.

So I will maintain that at virtually the same price, Iginla > Alfie.

We'll get to see a lot of Iginla playing in the same division. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

So basically, Iginla in Pittsburgh put up the same kind of numbers (or slightly above) with Malkin that Franzen puts up in Detroit playing *sometimes* with one of Datsyuk or Zetterberg? Alfredsson put up slightly lower numbers (pace for 20-32-52 including playoffs) playing mostly with Turris (even when Spezza was healthy).

So... does upgrading from Turris to Malkin get a guy 6 goals and 9 assists in 82 games?

We're not even on to Alfredsson's huge defensive advantage yet. Iginla was a massive liability defensively in Calgary last season due to his lack of defensive effort. Despite the narrative, it will be good for the team that he is no longer there given the kind of attitude he was displaying.

He might be. Maybe not though. Is Alfredsson's experience in Ottawa this past season closer to Iginla's experience in Calgary or Iginla's experience in Pittsburgh? I ask because Iginla's scoring pace in Calgary was the same as Alfredsson's scoring pace in Ottawa. Iginla only passed Alfredsson in scoring after he was traded to Pittsburgh and played with better players. And Alfredsson still out-paced Iginla in the playoffs.

Calgary iced six forwards who were better as a Flame this past season than him as a Flame; Alex Tanguay, Jiri Hudler, Mike Cammalleri, Matt Stajan, Curtis Glencross, and Lee Stempniak. Iginla has now passed from "elite player" into "depth player" and is severely overrated and overpaid because of things he did in years past. Iginla was actually probably higher on the depth chart in Pittsburgh (when judged by performance) than he was in Calgary, despite Pittsburgh's significant advantage in "high-end" talent. The only Pittsburgh forwards who were "better" were Crosby, Malkin, Dupuis, Kunitz, and arguably Neal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad