Confirmed with Link: Alfredsson to Detroit for 1 year 3.5m with 2m in bonuses

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Would be hilarious to win the cup in our first year back in a division with Toronto. They reeeeally ****ing hate this guy. I think Ottawa fans would love us forever if that were to happen. Which would be cool cause I've always liked the Sens.

That would make me laugh. Lots.

Can you imagine the I'm sorry posts to Kenny? While I still think there'd be some people who'd still bash him, there would be a good amount of praise me thinks.

Didn't know Toronto fans hated Alfie that much...

Alfie was one of the few players in the league who got boos in his own building that drowned out the cheers.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Remember the years when they played the division rivals 8 games per year... that was tough to watch.. I think they played like 2 or 3 eastern teams all season.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
I'm sorry Sens fans, we didn't even want him. Silver Lining, it's one year and he'll be a terrific mentor for Nyquist. I certainly hope he can win a cup here.

This hurts as a sens fan. I was glad (as a Sens fan) he went to a great org like the wings but you guys don't even want him?

Hopefully he proves some of you doubters wrong because I'd hate it to be a Messier in Vancouver like year for Alfie.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This hurts as a sens fan. I was glad (as a Sens fan) he went to a great org like the wings but you guys don't even want him?

Hopefully he proves some of you doubters wrong because I'd hate it to be a Messier in Vancouver like year for Alfie.

He should speak for himself, there's plenty of people extremely happy with the signing.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013

That may be more of poor word choice than anything. I'll admit Alfie wasn't on my radar, mostly because it just didn't seem possible. But when news broke I was as happy as could be. He provides great leadership AND skill, and the 1 year deal allows him to pursue his shot at a Cup while not handcuffing the Red Wings in future FA markets. Well done for both sides.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

He's wanted and will be appreciated. Messier was an overpaid ****** in Vancouver. No chance of it turning out like that here.

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010

I am happy to have him, always like him, hoping he has a great year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I'm extremely happy to have Alfredsson. The Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line was such a dominant and fun line to watch a few years back. Great player and a great leader.

RedWingsNow*

Remember the years when they played the division rivals 8 games per year... that was tough to watch.. I think they played like 2 or 3 eastern teams all season.

Depends on the Division.
When you have intense divisional matchups like that,there's a ******** of hate built up. THen you go into a divisional playoff -- and every series is crazy.

Winning a divisional final in the playofff means something to fans and the players.

RedWingsNow*

That's just the way things are.
Alfredsson means something to you. Doesn't mean jack to most Wings fans.

It's kind of like Matt Sundin going to Vancouver at the end.

Sure, some Canucks fans thought it was awesome. But some Canucks fans probably thought it was a silly move..

Overall, I bet Toronto fans cared a lot more than Vancouver fans, though.

Some Wings fans, me included, think this was a bad move.
It's a hockey question for Detroit fans.

It's a lot more for Ottawa fans.

I know I'd have been sad to see Yzerman ditch our team to go play in Ottawa for his last season.

RedWingsNow*

He's wanted and will be appreciated. Messier was an overpaid ****** in Vancouver. No chance of it turning out like that here.

no, but there is a chance that he gets older and slower, and produces less than the 17 goals and 46 points he was on pace for last year

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
no, but there is a chance that he gets older and slower, and produces less than the 17 goals and 46 points he was on pace for last year

OK and? It's not like it will be a Messier situation even if he falls off a bit. It's a one year experiment. He isn't going to come in and make demands and strip away the C from Zetterberg and become hated in the city. Worst case scenario is it turns into a meh signing that everyone forgets about.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Modano who?

Agreed with Syckle, that's the worst outcome, and that wasn't so bad. But Alfie is no Modano - he's way better at the same age, and played way bigger minutes.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
I don't think people will forget about it if Brunner turns into a 30-goal scorer

I will, because Brunner, once again, hasn't proven to be a 30-goal scorer. Last night the argument was 20-goals...then 25. Now it's jumped to him being a 30-goal guy? He better have an even quicker start to his seasons if he plans on hitting 30 goals. and most 30 goal guys don't exist solely on the perimeter of the rink. Either way, Alfie has proven what he can do, and that is help the Wings win now. If Brunner's not on the team, I could care less what he does.

RedWingsNow*

I will, because Brunner, once again, hasn't proven to be a 30-goal scorer. Last night the argument was 20-goals...then 25. Now it's jumped to him being a 30-goal guy? He better have an even quicker start to his seasons if he plans on hitting 30 goals. and most 30 goal guys don't exist solely on the perimeter of the rink. Either way, Alfie has proven what he can do, and that is help the Wings win now. If Brunner's not on the team, I could care less what he does.

17 goals in 58 games is a 24 goal pace.
He's shown he's capable of 20 to 25 goals.

And that's just in his inaugural year.

Many of Brunner's goals have come from in close.

You deny that Brunner is a 20 goal guy or capable of 30 goals --

Yet then you say Alfreidsson has PROVEN he can help the Wings.

Frankly, there is no way to prove such a thing.

If Alfie plays 82 games and scores 17 goals and 46 points -- I'm not sure how much help that is and costs us $5M in the process...

We're already spending too much on old broken down Sammy and Bertuzzi.

RedWingsNow*

If Brunner is a 30 goal scorer that is a whole other issue. I don't believe that the Alfie signing had anything to do with Brunner not coming back.

Seriously?
It's pretty obvious to me.
Weiss is our center to replace Flip. Same age. Same position. Same salary, etc.

Alfie is our righthanded shot to replace Brunner's righthanded shot.

Maybe we replace Cleary internally. Or maybe we resign Cleary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad