Confirmed with Link: Alfredsson to Detroit for 1 year 3.5m with 2m in bonuses

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Hey guys. Sens fan here...

If we don't win, I hope you guys do. If there is anyone in the league without the Stanley Cup who deserves one, its Alfie.

Take care of him folks. He's a special player, and a special human being.

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
I don't dislike this move, since it is far better IMO than wasting cap space as we have been doing. However, I will add that I like the Boston signing of Iginla a lot more. Give the two and basically the same price, I believe Boston got the better player. Iginla is younger, has more in the tank, and he showed with the Pens he can still produce at a point per game, even though he can't play the power game he once did.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
I don't dislike this move, since it is far better IMO than wasting cap space as we have been doing. However, I will add that I like the Boston signing of Iginla a lot more. Give the two and basically the same price, I believe Boston got the better player. Iginla is younger, has more in the tank, and he showed with the Pens he can still produce at a point per game, even though he can't play the power game he once did.

What was Alfredsson´s playoff stats this season? My memory is a bit foggy... And when did Iginla last carry his team to a playoff run (and not disappear for an entire series...)? *cough* *cough*

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What was Alfredsson´s playoff stats this season? My memory is a bit foggy... And when did Iginla last carry his team to a playoff run (and not disappear for an entire series...)? *cough* *cough*

What I've learned from Ottawa fans, Alfie sucked a bit at regular season, but was their best player at playoffs.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What I've learned from Ottawa fans, Alfie sucked a bit at regular season, but was their best player at playoffs.

I watched quite a bit of Ottawa last season and that sounds accurate.

But you gotta keep in mind that Karlsson and Spezza went down for them, also Michalek for a long stretch. Teams could focus heavily on Turris and Alfie and I don't think he's that player anymore. They all came back eventually and opened up some ice. He brings more of what Selanne brings to Anaheim, he _can_ be the best player on any given night but he should be relied on as a secondary scorer at even strength, and primary scorer on the PP. He's also still a capable PKer and above average in his own zone, but I don't know if they plan to use him anything defensively.

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit

Alfie had a good run in the playoffs. No doubt about that. Still, we are only talking about 10 games. It isn't much of a sample size.

As far as Iginla, in 28 games with the Penguins he scored 9 goals and totaled 23 points. That's an 82 game pace of 26 goals and 67 points. Also, Iginla last missed a game due to injury in 2007. Oh, he's also a right handed shot.

So I will maintain that at virtually the same price, Iginla > Alfie.

We'll get to see a lot of Iginla playing in the same division. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Alfredsson shoots right. And really, I don't think Iginla had us on his shortlist of teams to play for.

Well his judgement was flawed last season so maybe it's a good sign we didn't make his short list. ;)

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013

A lot more? Why? Didn't Iginla play for the Pens, a team completely loaded offensively? And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 10 pts in 10 games (Alfie) more productive than 12 pts in 15 games (Iggy)? Alfie was also a +5. Iggy was a -4. Head to head, looks like the Wings got the better player

Who says Iginla has more left in the tank? Both have 1-yr deals and are in search for a cup. I just don't see how you quantify that since both still play at a relatively high NHL level.

Alfredsson shoots right. And really, I don't think Iginla had us on his shortlist of teams to play for.

This...but facts like this don't seem to matter much for people that are trying to make a point about how Iginla would be a better signing for Detroit.

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit

That may be. It also sounds like Holland didn't pursue Alfie as much as Alfie pursed the Wings. Now we weren't his only potential destination, but clearly we were one of a couple of front-runners. All we had to do was return interest and say the right things.

So with that in mind, I'm not sure if Holland would have even made a call in regard to Iginla. Players of that caliber pick their spots. I also cannot blame Iginla for passing us up. I don't think we are a top 5 NHL team right now.

I was just pointing out that Iginla is also a right-handed shot, so either of them would have fit that need. When I saw our announcement and the Bruins deal with Iginla, I couldn't help but compare the two. So much in common.

A lot more? Why? Didn't Iginla play for the Pens, a team completely loaded offensively? And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 10 pts in 10 games (Alfie) more productive than 12 pts in 15 games (Iggy)? Alfie was also a +5. Iggy was a -4. Head to head, looks like the Wings got the better player

Who says Iginla has more left in the tank? Both have 1-yr deals and are in search for a cup. I just don't see how you quantify that since both still play at a relatively high NHL level.

I've already stated most of the facts. Iginla is about 4 and a half years younger than Alfie. Iginla has had 30 and 40 goal seasons more recently than Alfie. In short, while both players are past their prime, Alfie is further down the hill. Not only that but at their peaks Iginla was the better player. He has 100 more goals. Iginla is also more durable, missing far fewer games over his career.

How is this even a question? That's what I want to know. It's pretty obvious to me which one the better player is.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
That may be. It also sounds like Holland didn't pursue Alfie as much as Alfie pursed the Wings. Now we weren't his only potential destination, but clearly we were one of a couple of front-runners. All we had to do was return interest and say the right things.

So with that in mind, I'm not sure if Holland would have even made a call in regard to Iginla. Players of that caliber pick their spots. I also cannot blame Iginla for passing us up. I don't think we are a top 5 NHL team right now.

I was just pointing out that Iginla is also a right-handed shot, so either of them would have fit that need. When I saw our announcement and the Bruins deal with Iginla, I couldn't help but compare the two. So much in common.

I've already stated most of the facts. Iginla is about 4 and a half years younger than Alfie. Iginla has had 30 and 40 goal seasons more recently than Alfie. In short, while both players are past their prime, Alfie is further down the hill. Not only that but at their peaks Iginla was the better player. He has 100 more goals. Iginla is also more durable, missing far fewer games over his career.

How is this even a question? That's what I want to know. It's pretty obvious to me which one the better player is.

So originally you said that Iggy showed in Pitt that he's a PPG guy. I pointed to the playoffs and showed that Alfie was better offensively and defensively.

Since that hurt your argument you've now backtracked to age (again, they're both in the same position so good luck arguing that age matters right now), then career goal totals (not sure how that will matter for this 1 year). You then compared peaks...which is irrelevant since neither is at their peak.

I'll state again, Alfie was a PPG player in the playoffs, Iggy was not. Alfie was also a better defensive player than Iggy. Who is the better player at this point? well, i actually don't know. But if I had to pick, I'd take the guy who performed better most recently. Hint: Alfie

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Well, if you believe Khan and St. James, the Wings made contact with Iginla previous to July 5th.

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
So originally you said that Iggy showed in Pitt that he's a PPG guy. I pointed to the playoffs and showed that Alfie was better offensively and defensively.

Since that hurt your argument you've now backtracked to age (again, they're both in the same position so good luck arguing that age matters right now), then career goal totals (not sure how that will matter for this 1 year). You then compared peaks...which is irrelevant since neither is at their peak.

I'll state again, Alfie was a PPG player in the playoffs, Iggy was not. Alfie was also a better defensive player than Iggy. Who is the better player at this point? well, i actually don't know. But if I had to pick, I'd take the guy who performed better most recently. Hint: Alfie

I already said 10 games is such a small sample size. Alfie had two multi-point games (a 2 pointer and a 3 pointer) which can greatly throw off averages. He only had three multi-point games the entire regular season, none of which he bagged 3 or more points in. In statistics this is what is known as noise.

So I went with a much larger sample size when looking at Iginla's numbers in Pittsburgh.

As far as "peaks", did you know that Iginla scored 30 goals during the 2011-12 season? I'm not talking about some long ago figure. When was the last time Alfie scored 30 or more in a season? I'll give you the answer... it was 2007-08.

An over four year age discrepancy at their respective ages is substantial.

But you go ahead. I do not care if you want to believe Alfie is as good as or even better than Iginla. It won't change that the Bruins landed the better player on the 5th.

-edit
Well, if you believe Khan and St. James, the Wings made contact with Iginla previous to July 5th.

Well, it was worth a shot then. If there was no interest in the Wings, then so be it. Again, I don't blame Iginla. He wants to win, and while our D has some talent it also has a ton of question marks.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I believe most people would agree Ignilia is the more dangerous player at this stage.

But that's not to say it's not debatable who works better for the Red Wings. That's always an opinion call when you're talking about two veterans of such a high pedigree.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Some of those are going back a few years hehe. No doubt he's got a spark, he's a ginger! Sadly this means he has no soul but I'd trade mine for a 20 goal season in the show.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I believe most people would agree Ignilia is the more dangerous player at this stage.

He might be. Maybe not though. Is Alfredsson's experience in Ottawa this past season closer to Iginla's experience in Calgary or Iginla's experience in Pittsburgh? I ask because Iginla's scoring pace in Calgary was the same as Alfredsson's scoring pace in Ottawa. Iginla only passed Alfredsson in scoring after he was traded to Pittsburgh and played with better players. And Alfredsson still out-paced Iginla in the playoffs.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Some of those are going back a few years hehe. No doubt he's got a spark, he's a ginger! Sadly this means he has no soul but I'd trade mine for a 20 goal season in the show.

A refreshing post amongst all the..... others, lately :laugh:

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
I will reiterate that I'm happy to have Alfredsson here. While I can wish it were some other player, be it Iginla or Hossa or whoever, it's still better than unspent money. Alfie solidifies the top six and helps relieve pressure off Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Anyone thinking of a reboot of the old "two kids and a goat" line? One option is to put Alfie with Dat & Z. That would easily be their best wing man since the days they skated with Hull. The other possibility that intrigues me is to let Weiss center Franzen and whoever, and play Alfie on the third line with Nyquist and Andersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad