Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mete came in as an undersized rook, played with Weber and looked NHL ready. I don't see any reason why Romanov couldn't play at the same level beside Weber next year. Unless you think he is worse then a 19YO Mete.

Good point but who did we have at LD in Mete's way when he started at 19? Same goes for Kotkaniemi at 3C when he was 18.

Interesting unique situations when they were inserted... Why the Habs were rushing guys vs when we don't? Having good depth and a good prospect pool helps avoid that IMO.

* Kotkaniemi competing with Peca, DLR and the over the hill Pleky as our 3C when he was 18
* Mete competing with Reilly, Alzner, and Benn at LD when he was 19
* Suzuki competing with who at the age of 20? Was it RW players or Centers? At first it was RW players right? Gallagher & Armia? And others who are Left handed guys that can play RW like Lehkonen and Byron

Romanov competing with Edmundson, Chiarot, Kulak, Mete
is not the same as
Mete competing with Alzner, Reilly, Benn

I get your point but I think the situation is different. I think Romanov can be good with Weber (like Mete was) but is that something we want to do so early with Romanov? I think he will have to earn the job like Suzuki stole it from Domi at center... as the season went along.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
But hey, "no offense in his game".

Lol he'll be showing up Edmundson all year it looks like.

Definitely more than reasonable to question his offensive upside. I think there might be some untapped stuff there. I think he has decent offensive skills but just not really high end. I think even if he caps out at 20-30 points he can still be a huge boon to our blue line imo.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
But hey, "no offense in his game".

Lol he'll be showing up Edmundson all year it looks like.

He hasn't shown any offense playing against men, so the questions are warranted thus far. The step from the world jr's to the NHL isn't exactly small. He has a deadly shot and the tools, but man that's a big jump if you are expected to chip in with a bunch of points.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Mete came in as an undersized rook, played with Weber and looked NHL ready. I don't see any reason why Romanov couldn't play at the same level beside Weber next year. Unless you think he is worse then a 19YO Mete.

Reading the game, AKA hockey IQ, is the most difficult trait to predict. No matter a player's physical abilities, if he can't read the plays well at NHL speed, he'll get burned.

Also 19yo Mete wasn't nearly as good as 20yo Mete.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He hasn't shown any offense playing against men, so the questions are warranted thus far. The step from the world jr's to the NHL isn't exactly small. He has a deadly shot and the tools, but man that's a big jump if you are expected to chip in with a bunch of points.

I'm not sure he has a deadly shot. The habs have had a few dmen over the last few years who I would consider having deadly shots.... Guys like Weber Subban, Bergeron, Souray, and Streit.

Romanov's style kind of reminds me of Duncan Keith. He's a combative player who moves well. I think like Keith, he will be more prone to getting pucks on net with wristers than the big shots.

Now, thats not to say I expect Romanov to become Duncan Keith, but stylistically, I see some parallels.

You're right about the offensive part. It's a huge mystery, and part of the reason why we are all looking forward to seeing him at the nhl level. It kind of feels like markov all over again.

Again, I'm not putting him on markov's level, but these Russian guys come over with extra intrigue due to the lack of exposure we have to their games. Its better now than in markov's day, but still feels like a mystery present that you can't wait to open.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure he has a deadly shot. The habs have had a few dmen over the last few years who I would consider having deadly shots.... Guys like Weber Subban, Bergeron, Souray, and Streit.

Romanov's style kind of reminds me of Duncan Keith. He's a combative player who moves well. I think like Keith, he will be more prone to getting pucks on net with wristers than the big shots.

Now, thats not to say I expect Romanov to become Duncan Keith, but stylistically, I see some parallels.

You're right about the offensive part. It's a huge mystery, and part of the reason why we are all looking forward to seeing him at the nhl level. It kind of feels like markov all over again.

Again, I'm not putting him on markov's level, but these Russian guys come over with extra intrigue due to the lack of exposure we have to their games. Its better now than in markov's day, but still feels like a mystery present that you can't wait to open.

His snapper looks deadly, I like to think I can spot a deadly snap after all these years.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
His snapper looks deadly, I like to think I can spot a deadly snap after all these years.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from. When I hear dmen with deadly shots, I tend to think of guys with the big cannon slapshots on the powerplay.

But yeah, I think we at least see Romanov's shooting style in the same light. I'm not bold enough to say that it's going to work really well at the nhl level just yet.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, I see where you are coming from. When I hear dmen with deadly shots, I tend to think of guys with the big cannon slapshots on the powerplay.

But yeah, I think we at least see Romanov's shooting style in the same light. I'm not bold enough to say that it's going to work really well at the nhl level just yet.

He's my number one prospect still, I think he's totally built for today's NHL. I have to admit he has a much higher skill level than I gave him credit for. As for his shot, if you aren't blessed with a Weber type of power, you need a hard release that gets on net. Romanov seems to have that. I think that's why I dislike Mete so much, he just can't hit the net.

But in the end, time will tell!

Reactions: JianYang

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Lol Mete is sooo underrated by habs fans.

Reactions: Surfer72

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal

Nice video. Oh by the way, that was my grandmother in nets.

No way that goes in in the NHL without good screening in front of the goalie.

Romanov will be a good defenseman. Let's see if he will become a great defenseman.

I'm not so much concerned with his offensive game. I want him to develop into a solid defenseman with a very good transition game.

If he gets points as well that's a bonus!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Romanov's WJC coach said he has serious offensive upside but, that the style played in the KHL wasn't very conducive to him exploiting that facet of his game.

His own coach might have a semblance of an idea what his potential is offensively.

Just saying.

Reactions: philipsson

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not exactly sure what this clip shows anything lol...Mike Komisarek today could probably do the same thing. Heck, I could do it!

Yeah, okay. I don't think that this clip is the end all of the case for Romanov having more offensive upside than some are giving him credit for. Reducing the issue to that is nothing more than empty rhetoric.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Theres just no two ways about it

He is going to help our team tremendously, and for years to come

Love the kid

He's very promising.

Because of his lack of bulk and height, I'm not expecting miracles. But look especially look forward to seeing him once he hits his physical and developmental prime, in addition to this upcoming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad