Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-10-27_15-2-12.png

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure his praise is warranted. He's under-sized, those hits won't be as evident in the big leagues. I really hope his offense is legit, or we have a smaller Emelin on our hands.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
FWIW (sometimes not much, but hey..) Sportsnet a.k.a. the Leafs' owners' company said this before the play-ins/playoffs regarding Romanov hype. He's not your typical WJC graduate.

I’m confident — based on what I’ve seen from him at the other levels and on what scouts and executives have told me about him — that he’ll at least be capable of starting on Montreal’s third pairing.

I understand Canadiens fans are quite concerned about this player being overhyped, and I know they’re concerned about him being rushed, but Romanov has two years of KHL experience under his belt and plays a pro-style game that lends to his immediate graduation to the NHL.

Management believes he’s ready, he believes he’s ready, and he’s going to be given a chance to prove he’s ready. I don’t think the Canadiens will hesitate to put Romanov in Laval if he fails that test.

But I’m not expecting him to fail it. I’m expecting him to pass with flying colours.

Canadiens Mailbag: Off-season trade with Avalanche could materialize - Sportsnet.ca

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure his praise is warranted. He's under-sized, those hits won't be as evident in the big leagues. I really hope his offense is legit, or we have a smaller Emelin on our hands.

watch a lot of KHL games I take it?

He's a much better skater then Emelin with more mobility and better puck mover, but if he ends up a better overall Emelin then that's a win imo.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He wasn’t named the best defender in the WJC at 18 and 2nd best at 19 because he simply hit people. He has a lot more going for him than that.

And as for hitting, it’s not about height, it’s about how you’re built. Bouillon was 5‘8 and he demolished players most of his career because he was built like a tank.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He wasn’t named the best defender in the WJC at 18 and 2nd best at 19 because he simply hit people. He has a lot more going for him than that.

And as for hitting, it’s not about height, it’s about how you’re built. Bouillon was 5‘8 and he demolished players most of his career because he was built like a tank.

Bouillon had legs like tree trunks. Met him once, in the summer so he was in shorts. His thighs were as big as my friggin waist, although i was pretty thin back then, still, i was 34" around.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bouillon had legs like tree trunks. Met him once, in the summer so he was in trunks. His thighs were as big as my friggin waist, although i was pretty thin back then, still, i was 34" around.
I also met him when I was 16 or 17, the size of his biceps made even Bergy looks small :laugh:

He earned that Cube nickname

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Habs director of player development Rob Ramage spoke to the Athletic, here's what he said on Romanov

Alexander Romanov: “I talked to him, I think it was two days ago, and there’s another guy that’s just a delight to speak to. I mean, his energy and enthusiasm just comes right out of the phone at you. And so he said he had a great bubble experience. He loved it. He’s anxious to get back over here ASAP. And, once again, just his whole demeanour. I mean, he’s going to compete. So where his game is at is once again to be determined; it’s sure not going to be for lack of effort. I mean, this guy brings a lot of energy, a lot of spunk every time he steps on the ice.”

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Probably not quite as 'evident'. But he made Fleury look like a child in practice and Fleury's a tough big kid.
Make no mistake, Romanov is strong as hell. I'm a fan but I do think he's possibly a bit overrated.

Offense is a big question mark. To the point I'm assuming there won't be a ton of it. But really, the offense will be cherry on the cake. If you're expecting a perennial Norris Candidate or even a sure fire #1, you could very well be disappointed. Not 100% but I think it's likely he won't be either.

But don't get it twisted, dude's a plus skater and can move the puck very well. It's not like he's Gorges with the puck. There are some puck skills there. And on the D side of things he's beyond solid.

He can be a huge help to our blue line even within very realistic expectations imo. He's a damn solid prospect. I just don't necessarily buy that he's higher ranked than Caufield now all of a sudden. Caufield's offensive upside is pretty massive. Romanov's a safe bet though

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
I think Romanov will be a similar player to what Ryan Mcdonagh end up being mixed in with some Emelin.

great 2 way player who makes all those little plays that make a difference in the game while delivering punishing hit when the opportunity arrises.

not very efficient offensively but still capable 30pts defensemen with some untapped offensive potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Romanov will be a similar player to what Ryan Mcdonagh end up being mixed in with some Emelin.

great 2 way player who makes all those little plays that make a difference in the game while delivering punishing hit when the opportunity arrises.

not very efficient offensively but still capable 30pts defensemen with some untapped offensive potential.

It's impossible to project Romanov forward to who he will be. Right now, it's all guess work. All we know is the kid has game and his resume is impressive. Anybody saying he is limited offensively is comical to me. Nobody knows (not even Romanov) what kind of offensive production he will produce. Could be 20-30 pts or he could end up being a 40-50 pts guy. Once again, all guess work and the development from 20-23 is unpredictable. He has to keep working at improving and learning from his on ice experiences in the NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Richardson isn't 6'4 anymore, he probably lost an inch or two to age and his disks compacting. He's probably between 6'2/6'3 now.

I used To be close to 6' (1/4 inch under), now at 41, I'm just under 5'11.

Weight is a factor. Age and gravity will be harder on heavy guys more than lean ones. This is why I think Petry will age better than Weber.

I've been 5'-9" all throughout my 20's and 30's and I'm 41 now today too. Use to be 155 lbs but been around 185 lbs for the last 5 years ish. Don't know about your weight fluctuations but I suspect I'll shrink a bit more now that I'm a bit heavier.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
To those saying he is undersized because of his height y'all need to remember being built like a tank means a lot. Based on photos this kid looks like he is built similar to me.

During my best years of Uni when I hit the gym everyday I was 5'10 200lbs and very little fat. He may be shorter but Romanov is a truck and I expect him to hit like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad