Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It change a lot it was easy to see that he wasn't confutable he had his eyes on the puck and he was struggling with it. You could't had an easier target for a big hit

He did have his head down but he's also a solid player on his skates. I guess he didn't expect that from Romanov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course.....Emelin came over in his mid 20’s.....wait till Romanov is 24-25.....him, Guhle and Struble could potentially be scary on that left side

Agreed. Our D has depth and it's deep with options! Adding Guhle made things interesting. And we have several guys who can play LD and RD.

Price and Primeau are going to be protected for years to come! Great job Bergevin/Timmins!

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

4n2uma.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's too bad he's not more advanced since the biggest need for the team now is that top LD pairing with Weber as I just don't see Chia being the solution and Mete doesn't have enough offense. But if only he could be that top pairing LD it would do wonders for the blueline,

Romanov Weber
Chia Petry
Mete Edm
Kulak Juulsen

the top pairing would be physical and solid in their own end, both with big shot. Romanov would have to do a lot of the puck moving though if not most so that's a lot to ask for a rookie while also playing steady in his own end, which I don't see as a problem since in the KHL he rarely ever made a mistake at 18 and 19.

Chia and Petry should be ok, at times they will be a little round in their own end but Chia could cover for when Petry takes off, Petry can move the puck well so that takes pressure off Chia.

Edmundson would be a solid vet for a young Juulsen, both can play physical as long as the injury hasn't changed Juulsen's game but since we don't know where his game is at, Mete and Edm would likely do well enough on the bottom pair I would think.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
It's too bad he's not more advanced since the biggest need for the team now is that top LD pairing with Weber as I just don't see Chia being the solution and Mete doesn't have enough offense. But if only he could be that top pairing LD it would do wonders for the blueline,

Romanov Weber
Chia Petry
Mete Edm
Kulak Juulsen

the top pairing would be physical and solid in their own end, both with big shot. Romanov would have to do a lot of the puck moving though if not most so that's a lot to ask for a rookie while also playing steady in his own end, which I don't see as a problem since in the KHL he rarely ever made a mistake at 18 and 19.

Chia and Petry should be ok, at times they will be a little round in their own end but Chia could cover for when Petry takes off, Petry can move the puck well so that takes pressure off Chia.

Edmundson would be a solid vet for a young Juulsen, both can play physical as long as the injury hasn't changed Juulsen's game but since we don't know where his game is at, Mete and Edm would likely do well enough on the bottom pair I would think.
Just my opinion of course, but I think he will be our top LD by the end of the season. He absolutely has the ability.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
I will go with a fun comparaison: Hamrlik with Franky Bou physicality
Hammer was pretty physical, probably just as much as Bouillon, the latter was maybe a bit more of a "warrior" (lack of better term) Hamrlik was a rock out there though

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He will be our top LD by the end of the season if we have any hope of doing anything.. i.e. he progresses and is at that level.. because Edmundson and Chiarot ain't it.

Obviously, Romanov panning out to his perceived ceiling as a top-4, puck-moving D with offensive upside would mean the world for the Habs' lineup.

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Weber
Chiarot - Fleury/Juulsen

would be a deep D.

I see no problem having Edmundson with Petry in a first pairing role because Petry would lead the offensive charge on that pairing and Edmundson played with Pietrangelo in the past. Romanov -- and an ageing Weber -- would be better protected in a 2nd pairing role.

Reactions: dralaf

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He will be our top LD by the end of the season if we have any hope of doing anything.. i.e. he progresses and is at that level.. because Edmundson and Chiarot ain't it.

yeah if Romanov is legit and takes that top pairing spot, we might actually have a 'good enough' D corps.
I think he will be eventually but the sooner the better. Chiarot and Edmundson duking it out over #4 is not bad at all imo. Weber, Petry and Romanov can actually be a pretty solid top 3. Not drool-worthy but damn good.

Would be even better if Romanov can find some offense that I don't wholly believe is there. It could be. He has skill and plays with a ton of jam. The heart might make up for the lack of true high end skill and creativity. But I'm just about 100% on his D. I think his floor is high enough that he still makes our D better at the end of the day.

I'm excited to see how he does.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I expect Romanov -- best case scenario -- to emulate the style and production of a McDonagh; 30-40 point production and solid, physical D, with smooth skating, crisp first passes and a strong transition game element.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I expect Romanov -- best case scenario -- to emulate the style and production of a McDonagh; 30-40 point production and solid, physical D, with smooth skating, crisp first passes and a strong transition game element.

That's the hope. McDonagh was 6'1 and i think 220 in his prime. Romanov is 5'11.

McDonagh was not flashy, but as Timmins described him on draft day, "has no glaring weaknesses in his game." He was very solid at everything. Romanov is flashy and ebullient on the ice.

But in terms of effectiveness at both ends of the ice and in transition, would incredible to finally have a McDonagh on the ice for us.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
yeah if Romanov is legit and takes that top pairing spot, we might actually have a 'good enough' D corps.
I think he will be eventually but the sooner the better. Chiarot and Edmundson duking it out over #4 is not bad at all imo. Weber, Petry and Romanov can actually be a pretty solid top 3. Not drool-worthy but damn good.

Would be even better if Romanov can find some offense that I don't wholly believe is there. It could be. He has skill and plays with a ton of jam. The heart might make up for the lack of true high end skill and creativity. But I'm just about 100% on his D. I think his floor is high enough that he still makes our D better at the end of the day.

I'm excited to see how he does.

It will be. Give him time, same with Kotkaniemi.

Quarterbacking the zone entry, flair to keep it in the O zone, blast it past Spencer Knight for a goal. He sure found 'some' offense there.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe next year. Romanov likely won't displace Chiarot this year, Julien trusts in the guy a whole lot. Muller did too.

Yeah was thinking "down the road" when I wrote the post. But got distracted and pressed post reply before finishing...

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe next year. Romanov likely won't displace Chiarot this year, Julien trusts in the guy a whole lot. Muller did too.

But I still don't see any reason to rush him even into the NHL, especially given his small height and frame currently. Didn't we learn from Mete, KK, Fleury amd Poehling?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But I still don't see any reason to rush him even into the NHL, especially given his small height and frame currently. Didn't we learn from Mete, KK, Fleury amd Poehling?

Doubt it. Same decision makers handling it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Hammer was pretty physical, probably just as much as Bouillon, the latter was maybe a bit more of a "warrior" (lack of better term) Hamrlik was a rock out there though
Hamrlik definitely played a physical game although by the time he was on the Habs he was more cautious.

If Romanov ends up a Hamrlik type of all rounder it'll be plenty good news.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'm curious to see how he does vs Sandin. Habs have the better pieces at RD for Romanov to be effective vs what Sandin has with the Leafs at RD. I remember some saying Sandin was way better (both Leafs and Habs fans comments). I think Romanov has a better complete game and has learned how to play D before focusing on offense.

I'm a big fan of Romanov! Higher hopes on him than I had with Suzuki (pre NHL) to be honest. But I'm the type to value overall games more than one dimensional offensive ability... like Galchenyuk was.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Mete came in as an undersized rook, played with Weber and looked NHL ready. I don't see any reason why Romanov couldn't play at the same level beside Weber next year. Unless you think he is worse then a 19YO Mete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad