Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Nah, Romo's waaaaay more of a sure thing than even ol Cole Coff
Agree, I don't see any way Romanov is not a top 4D, he is just too steady and well rounded

Does he become a top pairing guy? That's the question (I say yes :nod:)

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
His snapper looks deadly, I like to think I can spot a deadly snap after all these years.
Yeah, not all about the slapper. Malakhov would wrist it from the point and be a way bigger threat than your above average slap shot. Love a good wrister from the point, it’s a form of art really.

If Romanov can develop that, we are in business.

Reactions: Habs

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Don’t want to derail this by mentioning other players, but getting Edmundson this offseason should surely help Romanov’s development.

At worst we have 2 solid* LD and two good* RD, so theres no immediate rush to put Romanov on the first pairing, a la Mete in his rookie year. If he starts on the 3rd and works his way up, it will be up to him.

Exciting stuff honestly between waiting to see how him, Suzuki and KK grow this year

Reactions: Vachon23

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Like some people have said Goaltending is the most fickle position so I would have to pick Primeau. Yeah he's looked great but for no particular reason he could start giving up 5 goals a game and fall out of favour real quick. Goalie is a wild position

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Don’t want to derail this by mentioning other players, but getting Edmundson this offseason should surely help Romanov’s development.

At worst we have 2 solid* LD and two good* RD, so theres no immediate rush to put Romanov on the first pairing, a la Mete in his rookie year. If he starts on the 3rd and works his way up, it will be up to him.

Exciting stuff honestly between waiting to see how him, Suzuki and KK grow this year

I agree ! And an other thing is that Edmundson can play both side so if Romanov surprised and he can already be in the top 4 or he progress during the season and at the end of the season he’s ready for the top 4 duties, we could have a really solid 3rd pair where wouldn’t be scared to put them on the ice in big moments with Kulak/Mete and Edmundson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree ! And an other thing is that Edmundson can play both side so if Romanov surprised and he can already be in the top 4 or he progress during the season and at the end of the season he’s ready for the top 4 duties, we could have a really solid 3rd pair where wouldn’t be scared to put them on the ice in big moments with Kulak/Mete and Edmundson

Not many considering this but it could end up this way... A lot of Kulak concerns in our herd but at the end of the day, there is two versions of Kulak. Kulak down the stretch in the 18/19 season and in the playoffs last year and Kulak last season. It's consistency issues and does he figure that out? Who knows but I do believe the Habs management values his mobility and physical game

Chairot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Romanov / Edmundson

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not many considering this but it could end up this way... A lot of Kulak concerns in our herd but at the end of the day, there is two versions of Kulak. Kulak down the stretch in the 18/19 season and in the playoffs last year and Kulak last season. It's consistency issues and does he figure that out? Who knows but I do believe the Habs management values his mobility and physical game

Chairot / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Romanov / Edmundson

I don’t think that will happen though. I don’t see Kulak surpass Romanov and Edmundson and they already said that the plan is to start with Edmundson-Petry. Kulak is 6/7th defenceman who can make the job on short period of time when they are injuries but held not a valuable piece on a long term. And I don’t see where you see a physical game with Kulak. It’s probably the thing that bothers me the most with him. He loose alote of his battle in front of the net and in the corners and that’s probably why I think that sign Edmundson.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think that will happen though. I don’t see Kulak surpass Romanov and Edmundson and they already said that the plan is to start with Edmundson-Petry. Kulak is 6/7th defenceman who can make the job on short period of time when they are injuries but held not a valuable piece on a long term. And I don’t see where you see a physical game with Kulak. It’s probably the thing that bothers me the most with him. He loose alote of his battle in front of the net and in the corners and that’s probably why I think that sign Edmundson.

Not about surpassing... more about sheltering and the right pairing mix for how the Habs will try to roll the lines and D pairings. Can Romanov move up the line-up like Suzuki did as the season goes along? Very possible

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Like some people have said Goaltending is the most fickle position so I would have to pick Primeau. Yeah he's looked great but for no particular reason he could start giving up 5 goals a game and fall out of favour real quick. Goalie is a wild position

Primeau is more a sureshot than any goalie we've had since Price and Halak.

Pretty sure he's a backup at minimum, which, as a 7th round pick, would be far from a bust.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Yeah, not all about the slapper. Malakhov would wrist it from the point and be a way bigger threat than your above average slap shot. Love a good wrister from the point, it’s a form of art really.

Especially if they have forwards who will actually go to the net for rebounds and tips! Besides Gally. I think in the past, everyone but him ran away to the bench anytime there was a rebound! Example - I don't remember pacioretty ever getting his nose dirty.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not about surpassing... more about sheltering and the right pairing mix for how the Habs will try to roll the lines and D pairings. Can Romanov move up the line-up like Suzuki did as the season goes along? Very possible

But the defensive pairing or not like forward I think. You want to have your best element on your top 4 so you can used them the more time possible. Espicially when you have Weber and Petry on your team. For Romanov and Suzuki, yes it’s possible and it’s probably what the organization hope.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But the defensive pairing or not like forward I think. You want to have your best element on your top 4 so you can used them the more time possible. Espicially when you have Weber and Petry on your team. For Romanov and Suzuki, yes it’s possible and it’s probably what the organization hope.

Understood! And I doubt the Habs signed Edmundson to play bottom pairing. However, knowing Julien... I think he will shuffle things around depending on who we face. Chiarot with Weber started against the Bruins and then he liked it and it stayed.

For all we know, Romanov comes out flying and he forces us to play him with Weber. Or he doesn't and we go to plan A which is a sheltered role. Who is Romanov's partner? Hey, we are board so maybe I'll go create a poll and we can look back at it after the season

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Understood! And I doubt the Habs signed Edmundson to play bottom pairing. However, knowing Julien... I think he will shuffle things around depending on who we face. Chiarot with Weber started against the Bruins and then he liked it and it stayed.

For all we know, Romanov comes out flying and he forces us to play him with Weber. Or he doesn't and we go to plan A which is a sheltered role. Who is Romanov's partner? Hey, we are board so maybe I'll go create a poll and we can look back at it after the season

I think it will be Kulak but I would have like us to acquired a veteran 3rd pair RD to replace Kulak who could help Romanov in his development a little bit like what Thompson/Kovalchuk did with Suzuki

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it will be Kulak but I would have like us to acquired a veteran 3rd pair RD to replace Kulak who could help Romanov in his development a little bit like what Thompson/Kovalchuk did with Suzuki

I doubt we make any more moves on D but if we do, Kulak and/or Mete have to go the other way

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I doubt we make any more moves on D but if we do, Kulak and/or Mete have to go the other way

I think to. I was hopping this at the start of the offseason not know. Maybe it could happen during the season if they see’s that Kulak and Mete doesn’t have chamestry with Romanov

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

It's such a rare commodity, that you had to go back to 1996 to find a Defensman that had a solid wrister from the blueline...

Reactions: Gustave and Habs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Why is a fringe player like Kulak even entering the discussion? This off season can’t end soon enough. This is what happens when people’s minds begin wandering.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'd say an NHL comparison of who can be similar to would be Dmitry Orlov. Physical, can log lots of minutes and hopefully can put up 25-30 points.
That looks about right, good comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad