Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Drouin is such a big mistake with hindsight. It was bad at the time. It's terrible in hindsight. We have more wingers than we know what to do with and would be sitting pretty with Sergachev in the top 4. We wouldn't have had to overpay for Edmundson and wouldn't need to let Tatar and possibly Danault walk at the end of the season for cap space.
70% of this board wanted that trade at the time. Then same posters come on here and deny it.

Reactions: Hins77 and Vachon23

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
70% of this board wanted that trade at the time. Then same posters come on here and deny it.
I was in shock we would deal our best prospect for a position we didn't even need. I tried to accept it but Drouin hasn't given much to change my mind. I really couldn't understand what the frick Bergevin was thinking after trading for futures then going "all-in" in the same year. Why'd we jettison Subban and Eller for futures then trade our best prospect for a crappy winger? Illogical.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I was in shock we would deal our best prospect for a position we didn't even need. I tried to accept it but Drouin hasn't given much to change my mind. I really couldn't understand what the frick Bergevin was thinking after trading for futures then going "all-in" in the same year. Why'd we jettison Subban and Eller for futures then trade our best prospect for a crappy winger? Illogical.
Please stop. We needed offensive talent desperately after getting embarrassed by the Rangers and averaging 1.8 goals for in the playoffs. To say the team was bad offensively would be the understatement of the year, we were abysmal. Dan Girardi looked like a Norris candidate that series. French or not, Jonathan Drouin had exceptional puck skills and completely torched juniors. I wasn't a fan of his, but you can't deny the offensive talent. Sergachev also had some question marks of his own in junior. Adding him to Radulov would have made us substantially better. Instead, we swapped him for Radulov which is immediately when we lost the trade.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Please stop. We needed offensive talent desperately after getting embarrassed by the Rangers and averaging 1.8 goals for in the playoffs. To say the team was bad offensively would be the understatement of the year, we were abysmal. Dan Girardi looked like a Norris candidate that series. French or not, Jonathan Drouin had exceptional puck skills and completely torched juniors. I wasn't a fan of his, but you can't deny the offensive talent. Sergachev also had some question marks of his own in junior. Adding him to Radulov would have made us substantially better. Instead, we swapped him for Radulov which is immediately when we lost the trade.
Re-signing Radulov and Markov would have done exactly the same thing without giving up our best prospect. Bergy made the trade knowing he wasn't signing them and knowing he was heading into at the very least a re-tool. Drouin was already a noted whiner who didn't translate at the NHL level. Our issue was never at wing, it was having no center depth whatsoever. We didn't need a 50 point winger at any point. There's no one who thought Drouin was going to turn into a PPG winger and French media were the only ones who praised the trade.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Re-signing Radulov and Markov would have done exactly the same thing without giving up our best prospect. Bergy made the trade knowing he wasn't signing them and knowing he was heading into at the very least a re-tool. Drouin was already a noted whiner who didn't translate at the NHL level. Our issue was never at wing, it was having no center depth whatsoever. We didn't need a 50 point winger at any point. There's no one who thought Drouin was going to turn into a PPG winger and French media were the only ones who praised the trade.
How would it have done the exact same thing? We got embarassed WITH them, we needed to add to them. The rest of your post is just simply false. We set the money aside to sign them, but we didn't. Which is why we've had ample cap space for how many years now? Drouin came off a very good playoff run and great year with Tampa before the trade. Our issue was lack of offensive talent. The whole forward group sucked. We needed talent up front. Would have preferred a center for sure, but an offensively talented winger would have been incredibly helpful too. Drouin put up 53 points in 73 games at 21, stop pretending like you knew the whole time that he would have regressed when all he did was improve up to that point. Don't think many expected PPG seasons, but many expected more than 50ish points. There's a range between a PPG player and a 50 point player you know.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
How would it have done the exact same thing? We got embarassed WITH them, we needed to add to them. The rest of your post is just simply false. We set the money aside to sign them, but we didn't. Which is why we've had ample cap space for how many years now? Drouin came off a very good playoff run and great year with Tampa before the trade. Our issue was lack of offensive talent. The whole forward group sucked. We needed talent up front. Would have preferred a center for sure, but an offensively talented winger would have been incredibly helpful too. Drouin put up 53 points in 73 games at 21, stop pretending like you knew the whole time that he would have regressed when all he did was improve up to that point. Don't think many expected PPG seasons, but many expected more than 50ish points. There's a range between a PPG player and a 50 point player you know.
So you're basically saying Bergevin is a terrible GM and should have been fired. He got burnt in such a ridiculous way that should never happen once, let alone twice in the same off-season. There's no way he didn't anticipate losing one or both--or he's too dumb to be a GM. Even if Drouin became a 60 point-winger it's still a garbage return for a future #1 dman. Wingers don't have that value.

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad