Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm going to be annoyed if we draft Rossi... even if he has a bit of grit to his 5'-9" frame. If we don't get Lafreniere, take one of Holtz, Raymond, or Sanderson please!
I’m torn here. He has Johnny Hockey level talent. If we just rotated out existing small forward to keep 2-3 of the best smaller ones and replace the less talented ones with more size and grit, I’d be fine with it. But to add him to our existing lineup would be a disaster. He’d be mauled every shift without repercussions.

Always keep in the back of my mind that elite skill is difficult to get outside of drafting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBDay

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What does this say in English??

Gagnon initially reported that there was a chance we would see Romanov play as the NHL and NHLPA had agreed on the matter. He later Tweeted that it is not done yet and that he should have been more careful with his wording. He should have said there is a potential to an agreement on the matter.

Bob Mckenzie tweeted earlier today that from what he understands, the NHL will not allow Romanov and other players in the same situation to play.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
What does this say in English??
The Romanov's case isn't concluded yet. That's part of the negociations between the NHL and NHLPA. So no official agreement. A potential agreement indeed. There's still hope.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Thanks guys. I hope he and Kaprizov and Sorokin can play. All great players that can add excitement to the game.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Romanov isn't allowed to play. The only thing I don't want is for him to return to CSKA in the KHL. Because there is no player transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL, I fear that if he does sign there, he'd have to stay for the entire season and can only join Montreal after the KHL year is done. I doubt they'd allow a stipulation in the contract that would allow him to leave as soon as the next NHL season begins.

Other possibilities:

- AHL: right now, the AHL has plans in place should their season start in October, November or December. Romanov has said he is very open to the idea of playing in Laval if he needs to. And if they start before the NHL, then that is the most likely scenario.

- The Habs can loan him to another European league. Aside from the KHL, they have player transfer agreements with the other European leagues. So maybe the Habs can make a deal with a team in one of those leagues to have Romanov play there until the NHL season returns.

- I don't know how it would work, but maybe they can also loan him to a Major Junior team in the CHL. I don't know if Romanov's ever been drafted in the CHL Import Draft. If he has, I don't know what team. And if he's not, I don't know if and how it could work to send him there.

Jul 6, 2016
If Romanov isn't allowed to play. The only thing I don't want is for him to return to CSKA in the KHL. Because there is no player transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL, I fear that if he does sign there, he'd have to stay for the entire season and can only join Montreal after the KHL year is done. I doubt they'd allow a stipulation in the contract that would allow him to leave as soon as the next NHL season begins.

Other possibilities:

- AHL: right now, the AHL has plans in place should their season start in October, November or December. Romanov has said he is very open to the idea of playing in Laval if he needs to. And if they start before the NHL, then that is the most likely scenario.

- The Habs can loan him to another European league. Aside from the KHL, they have player transfer agreements with the other European leagues. So maybe the Habs can make a deal with a team in one of those leagues to have Romanov play there until the NHL season returns.

- I don't know how it would work, but maybe they can also loan him to a Major Junior team in the CHL. I don't know if Romanov's ever been drafted in the CHL Import Draft. If he has, I don't know what team. And if he's not, I don't know if and how it could work to send him there.

I think he is too old for Junior hockey. Anyway, AHL or a European team would be the best solutions for him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think he is too old for Junior hockey. Anyway, AHL or a European team would be the best solutions for him.

He is still eligible for Junior because he will turn 21 on January 6th 2021. And if you are 20 years old by December 31st, you are eligible for the year. So he'd be an overager.

But that is definitely not a likely scenario. It was just a thought.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No need to play him now...we have to lose remember? Then it's AHL for him at the start of the year, and up in the NHL when we restart.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
No need to play him now...we have to lose remember? Then it's AHL for him at the start of the year, and up in the NHL when we restart.

Plus, that gives us 3 full years with him on his ELC instead of burning one year off of it for a play-in round we don't really want to win since we aren't contenders for the actual playoffs.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Romanov would kill those teenagers in the CHL, he belongs to the AHL. Wouldn’t be a bad thing to play and hang out with KK Poehling Ylonen Primeau to build a chemistry on and off the ice.

Reactions: Acadien86

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Other possibilities:

I really dont think he's even thinking about anything else but the NHL right now, the ELC is signed, So the habs dont want him in Europe either anymore.
All other hockey leagues are cancelled for the season. So at worst he cant play hockey until those leagues and the NHL start up again, but again his focus is the NHL.

I do understand you're talking about the window where the NHL ends "this" particular season and when it begins its new one, and the rumors are next December for now, but there is *zero* guarantee that the KHL and SHL and all these other leagues start *their* seasons on their usual start times as well.
Odds are, its doubtful they do. So we're now really just talking about a very small maybe just a month or two period or even less of "waiting time" or.. effing off and playing in europe for a couple months? and as you said it would be for the entire euro-length season? no way, The habs dont want that, and im pretty sure he doesnt want that either.

He's going to practice with the team most likely for "remainder" of this season. and odds are he will play in the AHL if it starts earlier than the NHL does, if the gods allow, this coming october even.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can he go back to Russia and play if the USA doesnt sort covid out?

If he goes back to the KHL, expect him to be there the whole KHL season and come back next year.

Because there is no player transfer agreement between the NHL & KHL, if he signs with CSKA, he will stay there.

The NHL has a player transfer agreement with the other European leagues. So if he is loaned to a team in Liiga for example, then it will be easier to bring him back as soon as the NHL season begins. Or at least of the AHL season begins first.

But Guillaume Lefrançois of La Presse wrote an article where Romanov's agent says that whether he plays this summer or has to wait until next year, Romanov is in North America to stay.

MB, in his conference call a few weeks back, was asked if Romanov isn't allowed to play this year and the AHL/NHL seasons start late, would they consider loaning Romanov to a European league should those leagues start first. He said that is a possibility they will explore.

Reactions: kevsavard95

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Julien said that he wants Romanov to be part of his group. The league hasn't confirmed if he'll play or not yet.

I hope they at least allow him to be part of the 28, even if he doesn't play. But to at least be part of practice and around the team.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He should go play with Norlinder at Frolunda. Screw the KHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad