#TheGeneralOnTheTsar

upload_2020-6-13_12-27-57.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Canadiens’ Russian Defensive Prospect Alexander Romanov (NovaCapsFans)

“Now it’s hard to say if I can make my way to the Canadiens by next season. Everyone with whom I discussed it says that the chances are 50 to 50. And it’s hard not to know exactly what to be prepared for. Despite this, I train now almost every day, so that at least tomorrow (20/06/15) I'll be ready to go on the ice.”

“I want to play against Ovechkin, not fight him. But if a fight is inevitable, I'll not run away.” [:box:]

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Александр Романов: «ЦСКА дал мне определенное имя в хоккее. Непросто расставаться»

“It's not easy to leave CSKA. Because this club gave me a specific name in hockey. I love CSKA. I'm grateful to everyone with whom I played and worked during that time. I want to thanks them all. Of course, they wanted to keep me. But, again, the dream is to play in the NHL. You can’t buy it with any money. You should always move forward, if there is a chance, to realize your dreams.”

Александр Романов: «В плане великой истории «Монреаль» – это канадский ЦСКА»

“Have you studied the history of Montreal? Of course I know that the Canadiens is the oldest and most titled NHL club. They've the most Stanley Cups. Montreal can be compared with CSKA in terms of history. In theory, Montreal is the Canadian CSKA.”

Александр Романов: «ЦСКА – моя команда навсегда»

“Everyone took it right (COVID-19, KHL season been ended by that, etc). What cups, trophies and games can we talk about when your health and life and those the fans are at risk. Of course, I wanted to continue. Hockey is everything to me. I wanted to continue, whether I was leaving or not. That being said, CSKA will always be my team at the bottom of my heart.”

Романов об уходе из ЦСКА: «Дело не в деньгах. Сколько бы мне ни предложили, уехал бы за мечтой»

“It's not about the money. No matter how much I was offered at CSKA, I'd left them for my dream with all due respect. I respect and love my former club which raised me and treated me very well. Of course there was still room to grow in the KHL. I don't think that I conquered the KHL or became some kind of young star of the league. I thought that if there was a chance, if they were waiting for me this year [at Montreal], and my contract was ending, why not going to the NHL? You should take your first opportunity, because you don’t know what'll happen next, in a year. Maybe this was my only chance.”

Александр Романов: «Теперь в «Монреале» новая плеяда российских игроков»

“I talked with Marc Bergevin before signing the contract. After that I didn’t have time. I think there'll soon be a call from him. So far, we haven't managed to talk with the head coach (Claude Julien). I'm pleased that in the Canadiens system, in addition to me, there'll also be others Russian players. This is great, playing with my compatriots is always a pleasure. I know Vasily Demchenko, we played together in the Russian Olympic team last year. I'll not say that we're great friends, we just know each other. Now, we'll get to know each other better. There are many Russians who played in Montreal. A lot of guys are gone. Now new people are coming. There'll be soon a new galaxy of Russian players.”

Романов о контракте с «Монреалем»: «Это только начало. Еду доказывать, что могу играть в НХЛ»

“Of course, it's very cool to sign my first contract with this NHL club. A little dream came true. But this is only the beginning. I feel great. When I signed, I wasn't very aware. I realized more when all the news became a trend in social media. Everyone was just talking about this. I'm ready to play in the NHL and the AHL. I’m going there to prove that I can play in the NHL.”

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm really surprised by that, as I thought the NHL would fold on that stance since it doesn't make a lick of sense seeing how any other year it wouldn't be an issue. It just seems like the NHL is making the wrong decision time and time again ever since covid started.

That said at this point anything that helps us lose I am all for so having Romanov not play i'm ok with despite him being the main reason I would have watched the games. That said I hope it doesn't backfire and he opts to go back like some of the other Russian players have threatened, especially if the Euro leagues are up and running by Sept and the US continues to be a hot spot for covid which could then put the NHL season in some doubt and perhaps no AHL season as I don't know if they can have a season without fans unless the NHL gives him some money to cover losses.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
All I know is it would be great to plug that god damn hole next to Weber before the end of his and my lifetime,

And it would be absolutely fantastic if this kid was the answer.

But deep down, I know he is :D, just have to wait a biiiit longer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
All I know is it would be great to plug that god damn hole next to Weber before the end of his and my lifetime,

And it would be absolutely fantastic if this kid was the answer.

But deep down, I know he is :D, just have to wait a biiiit longer

My money is on Norlinder filling that spot next to Weber but if it's Romanov then so be it. I just think Norlinder would be a great fit for Weber, it would help him in his own end and he could learn a ton from Weber while being the puck moving D that Weber isn't. Romanov on the 2nd pairing (not saying next year for either of course) if he can produce enough offense would be sweet if we were to hit on both.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
NHL just trying to help Montreal out by refusing to let Romanov play.

Montreal gets an extra full year of Romanov on an entry level contract and the D is weak enough to not beat Pittsburgh, locking in a 1st OA or 9th OA pick situation.

God, I want to believe this with all my heart

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
My money is on Norlinder filling that spot next to Weber but if it's Romanov then so be it. I just think Norlinder would be a great fit for Weber, it would help him in his own end and he could learn a ton from Weber while being the puck moving D that Weber isn't. Romanov on the 2nd pairing (not saying next year for either of course) if he can produce enough offense would be sweet if we were to hit on both.

Oh sure but when I mention Norlinder you tell me he's primarily RD lol..

If these 2 are the answer to our left side, it could get pretty fun around here again

Reactions: Chr1s97

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
Holy man Weber will be 37 years old before Norlinder is ready to assume top 4 min. I hope I’m wrong though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Oh sure but when I mention Norlinder you tell me he's primarily RD lol..

If these 2 are the answer to our left side, it could get pretty fun around here again

Well Romanov plays RD almost all the time in the KHL, both guys and Harris can play either side equally as well.

Holy man Weber will be 37 years old before Norlinder is ready to assume top 4 min. I hope I’m wrong though.

could be, we'll have a much better idea of what Norlinder can be after next season.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014

I agree. Norlinger is 20. Has played in a 2nd league in Sweden. He will probably play in the SHL next year.
He has at least one or two years before the NHL (probably 2 or 3).

Reactions: VernonForrest

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I haven't really followed the thread and there might be more to it than meet the eye, but come on... how can anyone possibly think it's a good idea to throw Romanov who hasn't had a single minute of NHL experience into the playoffs series. I mean is he that good? Are we talking Habs having a generational talent here? Is Cale Fleury not a better option? Noah Juulsen? What am I missing?

Reactions: cphabs

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I haven't really followed the thread and there might be more to it than meet the eye, but come on... how can anyone possibly think it's a good idea to throw Romanov who hasn't had a single minute of NHL experience into the playoffs series. I mean is he that good? Are we talking Habs having a generational talent here? Is Cale Fleury not a better option? Noah Juulsen? What am I missing?
Both those guys are RH, Romanov plays on the left and that's where the gap is. Chiarot, Mete and .......Kulak, Ouettet, Folin or Romanov? He doesn't have a whole lot of competition right now.

generational talent? No, but seems solid and better than anything else we have. Hopefully he develops into and smart, steady, mobile d-man. I don't think he has the offence to be a new age #1D

Reactions: Redux91

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Both those guys are RH, Romanov plays on the left and that's where the gap is. Chiarot, Mete and .......Kulak, Ouettet, Folin or Romanov? He doesn't have a whole lot of competition right now.

Good point but I still think he'll be overwhelmed at best. And it's not like Habs don't have a history making players play out of their natural position... But I am sure Clod will make the best decision...

Reactions: cphabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Good point but I still think he'll be overwhelmed at best. And it's not like Habs don't have a history making players play out of their natural position... But I am sure Clod will make the best decision...

he should be fine in a 3rd pairing role with the right partner, he's smart, hard working and very solid defensively. It will be an adjustment for sure but I think he can handle it. That said it might be a moot point if the NHL doesn't change it's stance.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'm really surprised by that, as I thought the NHL would fold on that stance since it doesn't make a lick of sense seeing how any other year it wouldn't be an issue. It just seems like the NHL is making the wrong decision time and time again ever since covid started.

That said at this point anything that helps us lose I am all for so having Romanov not play i'm ok with despite him being the main reason I would have watched the games. That said I hope it doesn't backfire and he opts to go back like some of the other Russian players have threatened, especially if the Euro leagues are up and running by Sept and the US continues to be a hot spot for covid which could then put the NHL season in some doubt and perhaps no AHL season as I don't know if they can have a season without fans unless the NHL gives him some money to cover losses.

I've never looked into the rules but why can teams like the Avs sign Makar late and have him play in the playoffs immediately but Romanov can't for the Habs. Is it because Romanov played in a pro league in Europe and Makar came from a North American college?

I don't get what the issue is here for the NHL so some clarification from someone would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad