Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So if habs pick Broberg at 15, could he be a top 4? Would Romanov/Broberg be a top future pairing?

They both are LD's.

The future without Weber and Petry and if we draft Broberg... Probably 4+ years

Broberg / Brook
Romanov / Fleury
Mete / Juulsen

Kulak, Harris

Hard to predict who becomes the better from the group but dam, we would have options to have 3 solid pairings.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need to calm down about Romanov. People here only have the WJC to go off of and while he was named best defender, it wasn’t some otherworldly performance, there just weren’t any other standouts. It surprised us because we didn’t know much about him and he’s 18. It’s still impressive, but let’s take a step back before thinking he’s a saviour and able to step in instantly.

I tend to agree but I'll tell you, I like him way more than any D we had before that was hyped up. Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, ect.

I don't think we can say top pairing for sure but top 4D is a fair prediction. I think if we draft Broberg, we can ice 3 solid pairings and maybe they all are top 4D quality. Look at post 401. How would you pair them up without Weber and Petry?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I tend to agree but I'll tell you, I like him way more than any D we had before that was hyped up. Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, ect.

I don't think we can say top pairing for sure but top 4D is a fair prediction. I think if we draft Broberg, we can ice 3 solid pairings and maybe they all are top 4D quality. Look at post 401. How would you pair them up without Weber and Petry?

I’m excited too, but we’ve been burned before by prospects we hyped too much. I think with his skating and confidence that he should have an impact. But I want to tread carefully. For instance, I wouldn’t neglect going after a good LD because there’s a possibility Romanov might be in Montreal in a year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m excited too, but we’ve been burned before by prospects we hyped too much. I think with his skating and confidence that he should have an impact. But I want to tread carefully. For instance, I wouldn’t neglect going after a good LD because there’s a possibility Romanov might be in Montreal in a year.

I think it's fair to be content with Romanov but I do see your point about over hyping. I don't believe he cracks our roster for sure after next year though. Lets see how much he grows next season.

The hunger to improve ingredient in development is unpredictable. This is where fans get burned. A lot can happen in 12 months (up, down, or stall). All we can do is look at the trends we see and hope it continues upwards

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He looks like a good pick but it doesn't mean much until he is in the NHL. Emelin was looking very good at the same age too. Emelin did very well at the u20. He also had a very good season in the KHL at 19 with 12 points +9. He had a decent career but was more a 3rd pairing than a legit 4th dman.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He looks like a good pick but it doesn't mean much until he is in the NHL. Emelin was looking very good at the same age too. Emelin did very well at the u20. He also had a very good season in the KHL at 19 with 12 points +9. He had a decent career but was more a 3rd pairing than a legit 4th dman.

If Emelin could skate like Romanov he would have been a stud

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Dunno i feel like Emelin's biggest problem was hockey IQ. Without the puck he was a relatively good dman, But he did not know what to do with the puck on his stick.

He played ultra safe,probably due to lack of understanding English.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So, what's the problem with him coming to development camp in late June?

his team likely won't want him there and I read somewhere that talked about how they used to have these kids travel back and forth over the summer and it interrupted their training, pointing to Collberg so they wanted to cut down on it I believe.

Reactions: cphabs and 26Mats

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
his team likely won't want him there and I read somewhere that talked about how they used to have these kids travel back and forth over the summer and it interrupted their training, pointing to Collberg so they wanted to cut down on it I believe.

You know that it would only benefit Montreal perspective to evaluate him. He should make an effort to show himself in the Montreal media and nut jobs so they could properly assess him. Getting off on the wrong foot,especially since he's not,or should I say.....

He looked pretty darn good when I seen him play,but the NHL is a totally different beast. Many have flourished, be it in junior or the A,but when in the limelight,SWA.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So, what's the problem with him coming to development camp in late June?

The Habs' development camp is the first week of July (right after the draft). It won't help to have him travel to North America, participate in the camp, as soon as that is over, travel all the way back to Europe and participate in all those camps, tournaments, and preseasons over there.

When you factor all that travel in such a short span, they will not do any service to their own prospect.

Before, the Habs used to want all of their European prospects in North America for camps. This would hinder in their development. One example was Sebastian Collberg. In his SHL team, he was slated to play a key role. But because the Habs insisted for him to come to Montreal for their camp, someone else was put in the spot Collberg was going to play. That player did so well that when Collberg finally returned to Sweden, he lost his spot and was then put in a smaller role, thus preventing him from developing as much as he would have had he remained there and not come to Habs camp.

Since then, Habs have altered their approach to their European prospects.

Reactions: vokiel and 26Mats

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You know that it would only benefit Montreal perspective to evaluate him. He should make an effort to show himself in the Montreal media and nut jobs so they could properly assess him. Getting off on the wrong foot,especially since he's not,or should I say.....

He looked pretty darn good when I seen him play,but the NHL is a totally different beast. Many have flourished, be it in junior or the A,but when in the limelight,SWA.

You do realize that Montreal is evaluating him, right? As or the media and nut jobs, the Habs don't (and shouldn't) care about them "properly assessing" him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The Habs' development camp is the first week of July (right after the draft). It won't help to have him travel to North America, participate in the camp, as soon as that is over, travel all the way back to Europe and participate in all those camps, tournaments, and preseasons over there.

When you factor all that travel in such a short span, they will not do any service to their own prospect.

Before, the Habs used to want all of their European prospects in North America for camps. This would hinder in their development. One example was Sebastian Collberg. In his SHL team, he was slated to play a key role. But because the Habs insisted for him to come to Montreal for their camp, someone else was put in the spot Collberg was going to play. That player did so well that when Collberg finally returned to Sweden, he lost his spot and was then put in a smaller role, thus preventing him from developing as much as he would have had he remained there and not come to Habs camp.

Since then, Habs have altered their approach to their European prospects.

fair enough but if the habs hold their development camp starting the monday or tuesday after the draft, there are no schedule conflicts and there's plenty of time to recover from any jet lag. Plus, this year's prospects are already here. Hard to think it's such a disadvantage for new prospects to come all the way over here for the draft that the 2nd year prospects can't also...

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You do realize that Montreal is evaluating him, right? As or the media and nut jobs, the Habs don't (and shouldn't) care about them "properly assessing" him.

I would certainly hope so,pathetic if they were not. Typically though proper evaluation is preferred when one will be in ones eventual forum.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would certainly hope so,pathetic if they were not. Typically though proper evaluation is preferred when one will be in ones eventual forum.

With today's game being more global, teams travel more for the players. In fact, Bergevin was in Russia not long ago before the KHL season ended. He took in a CSKA game and met with Romanov. So if the GM makes the trip, you can be sure the developmental department travelled. To be clear, MB wasn't there just for Romanov. He was surely also scouting for some KHL players to sign. But while there, he did make that extra stop for Romanov.

One of the things that often comes back is that Montreal does take steps to keep contact with their prospects. Evans, Poehling, and Brook have mentioned how much the Habs continued communicating with them since they were drafted.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm not up to par on the Habs day to day operation but would think hopefully that they do remain in contact with players they are trying to develop.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-06-24_%C3%A0_08.48.19.png

Nice to see Romanov is in montreal for the development camp. He was granted the permission from his KHL club. Cant wait to see what he can do with the other prospects we have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad