Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
In comparison to Sergachev I think Romanov has the necessary tools to be a more effective D-man, not to say that he will be.

Serge has the edge in the shot (by a wide margin) and he’s got the big body...

Romanov is a better skater and has much higher hockey IQ, IMO. With the way the game is headed with speed and by correlation the need to think the game quicker, I think Romanov has a legitimate chance to end up better.

Reactions: dralaf and jaffy27

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I think we should be excited about Alexander Romanov. Watching the WJC, he looked like a future top 2 defenseman. He skates very well and moves the puck quickly. He is also very good positioning. He also could throw his body around. I could compare him to Duncan Keith who also got the same body type and skating. Will it transition to the NHL like Keith? Who knows...if Weber could help him that would be a plus.

Reactions: cphabs and dralaf

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Juulsen Mete should do

I think Juulsen could be a stay at home top pairing guy but I don't see him as necessarily having top pairing upside if that makes sense. Kind of like Gorges but better.

I gotta stop running my mouth about Mete but I'm a huge fan and I'll just leave it at that. Brook has real top pairing upside. I think there could even be a middling #1D in there fingers crossed. Romanov may also.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I think Juulsen could be a stay at home top pairing guy but I don't see him as necessarily having top pairing upside if that makes sense. Kind of like Gorges but better.

I gotta stop running my mouth about Mete but I'm a huge fan and I'll just leave it at that. Brook has real top pairing upside. I think there could even be a middling #1D in there fingers crossed. Romanov may also.

I get what you mean for sure. I think Brooks has the most upside potential but I see all of them being top 4 but not quite number 1 D-men. If we role out a top 4 with those 4 then it'll be a good future.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like Brook the most, very concerned about Juulsen if the rumor is true that he's out for the season which would be a bad sign to miss so much time for a puck to the face. Fleury is certainly enjoying a very good year so he's right up with Juulsen imo. Harris is very much in the Mete mold although at 18 hopefully they keep him in the NCAA for a couple years.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If the Habs make a move for a playoff run a shrewd GM will ask for one of these D prospects

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Romanov - Brook will likely be our 2nd pairing in the future

I can see that as a truly complementary pairing, fast on the transition game, Romanov as a safer, hard-hitting D despite the shorter frame and Brook a complete D with more of an offensive edge.

I'm looking forward to that, actually, within three years, IMO.

I see Mete - Juulsen/Fleury (depending on Juulsen's return from his current injury) as a 3rd pairing.

Bottom line, MON needs to make a move to land another top-4 LHD that is ready to assume those duties right away. Using Petry as part of a package to land that in the last year of his contract is not a problem, IMO.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I can see that as a truly complementary pairing, fast on the transition game, Romanov as a safer, hard-hitting D despite the shorter frame and Brook a complete D with more of an offensive edge.

I'm looking forward to that, actually, within three years, IMO.

I see Mete - Juulsen/Fleury (depending on Juulsen's return from his current injury) as a 3rd pairing.

Bottom line, MON needs to make a move to land another top-4 LHD that is ready to assume those duties right away. Using Petry as part of a package to land that in the last year of his contract is not a problem, IMO.
Petry I believe has a NMC and I doubt he waives it.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Our future on RD is set.

Brook, Juulsen, Fleury. (even Weber)

That's why we could trade Petry if the price is right even thought he's probably better than Weber.
Juulsen has possibly a career ending injury. (still up in the air)
Brook is in junior and has no pro experience yet.
Fleury has slowed down recently and is not a guaranteed to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Rockomax

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Juulsen has possibly a career ending injury. (still up in the air)
Brook is in junior and has no pro experience yet.
Fleury has slowed down recently and is not a guaranteed to play in the NHL.
Also, Juulsen is not very good in my opinion, should be a 3rd pair RD, like Fleury. And both Juulsen and Fleury will need to be exposed to the expansion draft if I'm not mistaken, so if they do take some steps forward until then, it might be hard to keep both.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That Vityaz' only goal yesterday was on Romanov. He didn't cover a player, being the last defenseman against Vityaz break-away. Video (at 1:07) doesn't show it good enough, but you can understand out of it, what I'm talking about. Alas, KHL videos are geoblocked.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
That Vityaz' only goal yesterday was on Romanov. He didn't cover a player, being the last defenseman against Vityaz break-away. Video (at 1:07) doesn't show it good enough, but you can understand out of it, what I'm talking about. Alas, KHL videos are geoblocked.

Looks like the winger who made the pass had Romanov's teammate beat. Looked like a 2 on one and Romanov didn't block the passing lane, he tried and break it by pinching on the guy. Happens all the time, i'm sure his coach will tell him. Good side is it doesn't seem to happen often in his case. I also notice he had a big open ice hit and then got jump. I'm sure his team got a few PP minutes out of it. What was the final score?

Edit: I noticed the score was 6-0 and there was a minute and a half left when that goal happened. Since this kind of play is related to a defenseman defensive IQ, I don't think it applies in this situation. It is a risky move that coaches will hate to see in a tight game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If the Habs make a move for a playoff run a shrewd GM will ask for one of these D prospects
Habs in my opinion, will not trade Romanov nor will they trade Brook.....if defenceman are made available, it’ll be Juulsen, Fleury, maybe even Mete if the upgrade is obvious.
(When I say upgrade I mean upgrade at LD)

Of course this is happening under the assumption that it’s a package deal that would involve some of the aforementioned players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Also, Juulsen is not very good in my opinion, should be a 3rd pair RD, like Fleury. And both Juulsen and Fleury will need to be exposed to the expansion draft if I'm not mistaken, so if they do take some steps forward until then, it might be hard to keep both.
We're going to lose a good player in the expansion draft. Many good forwards will hve to be left unprotected.

But I think Petry will be a ufa, so he doesn't need to be protected. So as of now, we can protect Weber, Mete, Juulsen.

Reactions: Rockomax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad