Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No they don't. I still have on idea what it has to do with that. It's not because the ones that fail in juniors means that everybody that succeeds in it will.....Strange comparison.
True, but hearing about prospering prospects is always fun. Everyone and their mom knows they all won’t make the NHL, but until then, we embrace their success in junior, it always sends a message of hope to the fans that they may be the next Pastrnak or Brock Boeser or PK Subban

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I like them both and would have a hard time deciding. Some people are down on Romanov cause of the lack of production in the KHL but he is being sheltered. It is the 2nd best hockey league in the world after all. They are grooming him well for us!

Who looked better in the WJC? Edge to Romanov?

Romanov looked better than everyone at the WJC. I'm serious, he looked like the most impactful U20 d-man in the world against his peers.

For the upcoming WJC, I'm not expecting Romanov to repeat as the MVP. That would be an incredible feat. If he can be the #1D-man on team Russia that would be fantastic.

I'm actually hoping Norlinder gets a chance to break out like Romanov did last year. If he gets a chance, Norlinder can really make a name for himself on the big stage by showing off his offensive flare and skating.

Of all our current D prospects, I think Julien will feel most comfortable playing Romanov in his lineup when the time comes. We'll see how Brook progresses, but if Norlinder or Harris make it, they will almost certainly have to be sheltered at first.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Makes no sense man. You want me to take a point in time, so you'll be able to make the comparison based on what we know NOW that it didn't work out compared to what we know NOW that we actually don't know 'cause most kids we are excited about that haven't reached the pros and don't know how they'll fare.

And again, in no way shape or from am I stating that it doesn't look good. Nor that it looks like some of those guys will pan out. But I still have no idea how we can ALREADY state that they made it. That's my whole point. If you choose not to understand that, not my fault.

Well, you won't be able to change my mind if you can't find a specific point in time to compare to. Naming random names spread over a range of time won't cut it for me.

I'm fully aware of what you are trying to say with the bust/hit/hope factors. What I am trying to tell you is we have both quality and quantity today with several trending very well. That's high degree of probability that we have prospects who turn into impact players vs busting or disappointing. I don't believe we have had this kind of prospect pool in decades. We have had good prospects before but with both quality & quantity? Doubt that

Look at Hillis vs Leblanc for example. Are they not similar in terms of hope? Or who would you say compares better to Leblanc when he was trending at his best? Poehling? Or would Teasdale be similar to Leblanc? Who from the past would have a season like Teasdale as a 19 year old and the playoffs he had?

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf and jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Romanov looked better than everyone at the WJC. I'm serious, he looked like the most impactful U20 d-man in the world against his peers.

For the upcoming WJC, I'm not expecting Romanov to repeat as the MVP. That would be an incredible feat. If he can be the #1D-man on team Russia that would be fantastic.

I'm actually hoping Norlinder gets a chance to break out like Romanov did last year. If he gets a chance, Norlinder can really make a name for himself on the big stage by showing off his offensive flare and skating.

Of all our current D prospects, I think Julien will feel most comfortable playing Romanov in his lineup when the time comes. We'll see how Brook progresses, but if Norlinder or Harris make it, they will almost certainly have to be sheltered at first.

I find it funny on how some people say Sandin has more offensive ability playing in a key AHL role vs Romanov in a sheltered KHL role. That's why I asked if Romanov's WJC performance last year was a fluke or not? Same with Poehling? Was it a fluke?

I'm also looking forward to see what Norlinder can do in the next WJC! Same with Caufield. Some say not to overrate that small tournament and it's fair but it's also fair to say I rather have someone who stands out in that tournament than does not.

Reactions: dralaf and jaffy27

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Romanov plays a simple pro game, all those saying he's not creative, bottom line is he makes players around him better, that's kind of like being creative in his own way. Last WJC he were a relaying pivot on team Russia. His cross ice blue line passes were good, but what impressed me the most is how Romanov would set angle shots for forwards to tip.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Come on man....it’s me lol

I got your back on 99.999% of your posts

I actually started doing the research :facepalm:. Honestly, I would love for someone to prove me wrong or give a better point in time. But naming random names in a 1 minute post won't cut it. You and I have ability to change our minds but some want to fight the war forever and not properly evaluate it without bias. It's weird

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Romanov plays a simple pro game, all those saying he's not creative, bottom line is he makes players around him better, that's kind of like being creative in his own way. Last WJC he were a relaying pivot on team Russia. His cross ice blue line passes were good, but what impressed me the most is how Romanov would set angle shots for forwards to tip.

I love how he is flying under the radar to some degree and how the KHL is developing him for us. Worse case, this guy is a shutdown top 4D type. He's got too many tools to bust.

Honestly, I think we will try to sign him hard and also bring over the other Russian we are rumored on trying to sign as well. But if he stays in the KHL for two more years, I'd be totally fine with that the way Mete and Chariot have been playing.

The 3 year term of Chariot it turning into a great bridge they way he is playing for us. Wish it was a 2 year term though but maybe he didn't sign if we tried to force that?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm watching his game right now, he makes quick decisions, skates well, and is physical along the boards. Doesn't see the ice that often though.

Tolchinsky looks amazing though. I don't know his stats this season, but he is a speed demon with a beautiful set of hands. He looks like he could make an impact in the NHL, not sure why he's playing on the 4th line with CSKA.

I think I remember him from his draft year a while back as well, went undrafted because he's tiny?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Romanov just beat the goalie with a slapshot from the point, goalie got a piece of it and the puck trickled behind him and just outside the post. Created a great offensive chance though as CSKA was buzzing around the net after picking up the rebound

CSKA wins it in OT, Romanov didn't see a shift in OT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad