Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That wont happen, theres the expansion draft.

Petry, Weber, Juulsen, Kulak or Mete will have to leave.

I hope its Petry

Isn't Petry a UFA and therefore doesn't have to be protected? If so, we protect Weber, Mete, and Juulsen. Not sure Kulak will be better than a forward we have to leave exposed like Byron, Armia, or Lehkonen.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
That wont happen, theres the expansion draft.

Petry, Weber, Juulsen, Kulak or Mete will have to leave.

I hope its Petry

as stated above Petry is UFA during the expansion draft, doesn't need to be protected. I know Petry is good but he isn't getting any younger and with Weber being a locked here. Montreal will need to make room to give young players more minutes ( Brook, Juulsen, Fleury). They would be smart to trade him at the deadline ( if we aren't in good shape) or after the playoff run, you realy need to maximize the value and keep this team going foward.

Reactions: Mrb1p

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That wasnt his icetime for last year, though. He played a few 15 or 16 minutes hut he hovered around 11 12 more often than not, I think.

I do hope he gets around 15 a game this year, that would be great.

I think he needs reps on the PP too but thats asking a lot from Russia.

he started out with barely any ice time last year, some games it was 2 0r 4 minutes, then it started to climb to 8 to 10 and in the 2nd half he was getting regular shifts.

This year he started out in the first 2 games as the 7th D, in the last 3 games he's been the 5th or 6th in terms of TOI, I don't know if they have had injuries or are just sitting their 5th/6th guys as Dalhback missed the previous 2 games and today it was Artem Blazhiyevsky that didn't play. So Romanov has played more with them out but if they are both back then perhaps he will be back to the under 9 minutes he played in the 2nd game.

So far CSKA has been in mostly very tight games so I'm sure that doesn't help either but once they start crushing teams again I would think his TOI will go up.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
My fear is Romanov stays in Russia “ala”Alexei Emelin. I think AE was 25 when he finally came over.

If I remember correctly Romanov is signed through this year and can come to camp next September. Can someone tell me....IF Romanov is out of the playoffs next spring, could he be signed & join the Habs for next years stretch run? Wishful thinking I know, cheers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
My fear is Romanov stays in Russia “ala”Alexei Emelin. I think AE was 25 when he finally came over.

If I remember correctly Romanov is signed through this year and can come to camp next September. Can someone tell me....IF Romanov is out of the playoffs next spring, could he be signed & join the Habs for next years stretch run? Wishful thinking I know, cheers.

correct, his contract with CSKA ends in April so he can join the Habs if he hasn't re-signed with CSKA and signs with us.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

From what i can recall Emelin did not want to play in the AHL and Montreal never offered him a guaranteed spot until he was 25-26.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Just another example of the fraud that Corey Pronman is as he listed Romanov's physicality as a 45 in his top prospect ratings. He also listed Poehling's skating as just a 50 lol.

His explanation made sense though. By physicality, he meant more like Weber's net front presence and ability to use size to force players off the puck. Romanov, as a smaller d, isn't as good at that yet in his opinion.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I think CSKA will make a big pitch, it will all be up to Romanov where he wants to play

I don't think CSKA will have the cap to pay him big. Their cap is about 15m American this year (900m Rubel), 2m might be a big as for him if he stayed, I really can't see them offering much more than 1.25m (or 7.5 percent of the cap) which is quite comparable to a rookie contract in the NHL.

Edit: oops, forgot the 22 rule. Romanov is under essentially Russia's version of RFA until 22, he'd only get a portion of that. I forget what the number is off the top of my head but it's under 250k. He'd make far more on a ELC in the NHL

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
His explanation made sense though. By physicality, he meant more like Weber's net front presence and ability to use size to force players off the puck. Romanov, as a smaller d, isn't as good at that yet in his opinion.

Nah Pronman is a clown. He doesn't even mention Romanov as a physical player and I guarantee that he doesn't even know that the kid is a tank. He rates Romanov's physical game the same as Cam York and Ty Smith which is laughable. He looks at his size, nationality and stats and combines his preconceived biases that he associates with each of these data points to arrive at his final conclusion.

For newer folks on this board, Pronman was a longtime poster on these boards and is in no way a scout of any sort. He started his own pretend online scouting services by collecting opinions from selected HFboard members from different countries who he listed as his scouts lol.

He was always strictly a stat follower but does not possess the ability to evaluate a player's abilities through visual observation.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think if a Russian is good enough to be o the NHL squad, money will liky not be a problem. It can be an issue if the player needs to be in the AHL for a couple of years at least.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Nah Pronman is a clown. He doesn't even mention Romanov as a physical player and I guarantee that he doesn't even know that the kid is a tank. He rates Romanov's physical game the same as Cam York and Ty Smith which is laughable. He looks at his size, nationality and stats and combines his preconceived biases that he associates with each of these data points to arrive at his final conclusion.

For newer folks on this board, Pronman was a longtime poster on these boards and is in no way a scout of any sort. He started his own pretend online scouting services by collecting opinions from selected HFboard members from different countries who he listed as his scouts lol.

He was always strictly a stat follower but does not possess the ability to evaluate a player's abilities through visual observation.

I'd actually put Smith and Romanov on the same level for physicality. Smith can sweep a crease pretty good, I've seen him use his body to protect the puck well. I mean neither are exactly a Weber in that regard but yeah, I'd say Smith is a bit stronger than Romanov (I am a bit Smith fan though)

Romanov has a reputation for physicality based on his big hits but his physicality is a bit more nuanced than that. Pronman is convinced size is an issue, in convinced it's just a combination of KHL ice size making his skating more effective plus his age and deployment.

I get Pronman is who is he is, I'm more concerned with the player than the source. I only rely on my own perception (which is also why I don't compare him to York, a player that admittedly I haven't paid attention much to yet)

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I'd actually put Smith and Romanov on the same level for physicality. Smith can sweep a crease pretty good, I've seen him use his body to protect the puck well. I mean neither are exactly a Weber in that regard but yeah, I'd say Smith is a bit stronger than Romanov (I am a bit Smith fan though)

Romanov has a reputation for physicality based on his big hits but his physicality is a bit more nuanced than that. Pronman is convinced size is an issue, in convinced it's just a combination of KHL ice size making his skating more effective plus his age and deployment.

I get Pronman is who is he is, I'm more concerned with the player than the source. I only rely on my own perception (which is also why I don't compare him to York, a player that admittedly I haven't paid attention much to yet)

But there's some videos of Romanov cleaning the net in the KHL. He also completely ragdolled 2 team canada players who tried to go on his goaltender in last year's WJC. I like Smith too, but there's now way Smith can do that.

Edit: Forgot to mention, those players were Leason and Comtois.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
But there's some videos of Romanov cleaning the net in the KHL. He also completely ragdolled 2 team canada players who tried to go on his goaltender in last year's WJC. I like Smith too, but there's now way Smith can do that.

Edit: Forgot to mention, those players were Leason and Comtois.

Completely forgot about that lol

I concede my point

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

There really is no comparison as Romanov is an aggressive, punishing player and Ty Smith is mostly a finesse player.

Reactions: HOPE and HankyZetts

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think it’s his intention to come over. I thought I read a quote posted on here saying he was coming over.

MB has said he wants to bring him over next summer, and the fact that he flew all the way over here just to skate around by himself with some coaches shows a lot. But this is a business and money talks, the Habs can only offer him so much, CSKA is loaded and they could be losing some of their best players so I would think they will at least try to make a big offer to keep him. Hopefully he cares more about the NHL then money, which I could see being the case in speculating just from things i've read.

I think he'll be a Hab next year but it's at least a concern as CSKA has the deep pockets and the need, we'll see what happens.

Reactions: dralaf

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I like Smith quite a bit too, he's a better prospect than Romanov, but you're wrong here. Romanov's both stronger and more physical. I've seen Smith get clobered and manhandled by some of the bigger junior aged players. Romanov stands his ground against men, he's a tank on his skates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad