Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Romanov has the potential to be a perfect modern complimentary Dman that you pair with a highly offensive guy. Bomb of a shot, reads the ice very well, still very mobile with a great first pass and physical. I’d like to see a guy like Brook focusing more on his offensive abilities and getting paired with Romanov, that line would be nearly impossible to score against and super effective in the Ozone.
That's a very good take. I believe Romanov has first-pairing upside complementing a pure offensive guy like Brook. And a first pairing guy does not have to be a true offensive dman. Vlasic and Slavin come to mind. Even Weber is not one and Romanov has superior offensive tools to Weber save for shot - skating, handling, vision and passing.
Thirty points is a realistic projection but looking at Petry how he moved up from that range to forty points range with skating and shooting as his only significant offensive tools makes me think that Romanov can do as well as some point.

Reactions: HOPE

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I absolutely love the 2nd clip ! He need to keep doing this

But I didn’t like the 1st clip. That’s why I have doubt about Romanov offensive awareness.. He had all the time/space to take a shoot in way better angle then that and they where no circulation in front of the goalie. If he’s taking a better angle he gives the time to his teammate to go in front of the net and that would have been a way better scoring chance. The shoot Romanov took was probably one of the easiest save the goalie made in his game.

Reactions: vokiel

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I get the whole he's young, it's the KHL, not a developping league, he's currently playing as a 7th, but god damn... less than half the minutes from the second lowest TOI Dman. Hopefully he forces their hands with good plays and if he does hopefully they open their eye or else it's gonna be a long season. Strong league or not the kid needs to start stacking more minutes ASAP.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I get the whole he's young, it's the KHL, not a developping league, he's currently playing as a 7th, but god damn... less than half the minutes from the second lowest TOI Dman. Hopefully he forces their hands with good plays and if he does hopefully they open their eye or else it's gonna be a long season. Strong league or not the kid needs to start stacking more minutes ASAP.

It was the same as the start of last year. He ended up earning a more regular spot and more ice time. Don't let his TOI on the first two games discourage you.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

He had 6 shifts in the 1st, the game was 1-0 AK Bars, I didn't see a lot of the 1st but then in the 2nd Romanov had a rare mistake in his own end that led to a breakaway, after that he did not play much at all the rest of the game. So perhaps to send a message but they were also playing a top team in a really tight game so I would think if they were up 5-2 he would have played a good bit more.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

It is the KHL.....it is run by buffoons

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Watched Romanov today, missed a chunk of the 1st so it ended up being almost a waste of time as he played 6 shifts in the 1st and then he played only 6 shifts the rest of the game. Overall he had 8:51 TOI with 2 shots on goal. I saw the one shot and it was a nothing burger. He also made a rare mistake in his own end that led to a breakaway but the goalie saved him. He only played 2 minutes in the 3rd but it was a very tight game as they were down but came back to win 3-2.
Could it be scouting reports on here have been over rating him?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Could it be scouting reports on here have been over rating him?

it's too early to say but while i've seen a good bit of him since being drafted I'm not sold on him having top pairing upside just yet. People really like his shot but I haven't seen it enough as the shots i've seen him take only a very few were really good the rest were just meh. I'd say someone like Fleury has a better shot but I've also seen him use it a good bit more and the problem with Romanov is being in the KHL at 18 and now 19 on what is the best team in the league, they are always moving him around the lineup some games a decent TOI, others barely any so it's got to be very hard on him to develop his offense.

If we can get him signed this summer then I think we'll start to have a clearer picture of what he can be. With his skating, mobility, speed, physical game, he's an easy NHLer if he wants to be, so it's more a question of how good can he be when he comes over.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
it's too early to say but while i've seen a good bit of him since being drafted I'm not sold on him having top pairing upside just yet. People really like his shot but I haven't seen it enough as the shots i've seen him take only a very few were really good the rest were just meh. I'd say someone like Fleury has a better shot but I've also seen him use it a good bit more and the problem with Romanov is being in the KHL at 18 and now 19 on what is the best team in the league, they are always moving him around the lineup some games a decent TOI, others barely any so it's got to be very hard on him to develop his offense.

If we can get him signed this summer then I think we'll start to have a clearer picture of what he can be. With his skating, mobility, speed, physical game, he's an easy NHLer if he wants to be, so it's more a question of how good can he be when he comes over.
Okay, I was just puzzled why 7th defenseman with little minutes after the WJC last year. It is often players don't live up to expectations based on WJC. Collberg Waite, Gaavy etc.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Okay, I was just puzzled why 7th defenseman with little minutes after the WJC last year. It is often players don't live up to expectations based on WJC. Collberg Waite, Gaavy etc.

He's young, he plays on CSKA and hes not in their long term plans, dont expect much more as far as ice time.

Reactions: Acadien86

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he actually played more minutes after the WJC's last year, early on in the season it was brutal, some games he would get 2-4 minutes. But slowly he started to earn their trust i'm guessing as he played a very mistake free game for the most part so his ice time just kept going up on average.

Right now they seem to have started slowly, every team they face knows they have to get up for the game since they are facing last year's Gagarin Cup winner. The team is stacked so Romanov might not get a lot of TOI at first but injuries will hit and as long as he plays well he'll get his chances as I would think this team will steam roll many once they get going.

Reactions: TatTar

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Just don't forget just young Romanov is. Apart from Dahlin, I can't think of another 2000-born defenseman who'd receive more ice time than Romanov if he was on CSKA.

Reactions: dralaf

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
he actually played more minutes after the WJC's last year, early on in the season it was brutal, some games he would get 2-4 minutes. But slowly he started to earn their trust i'm guessing as he played a very mistake free game for the most part so his ice time just kept going up on average.

Right now they seem to have started slowly, every team they face knows they have to get up for the game since they are facing last year's Gagarin Cup winner. The team is stacked so Romanov might not get a lot of TOI at first but injuries will hit and as long as he plays well he'll get his chances as I would think this team will steam roll many once they get going.
Okay, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->