Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
After one period, CSKA leads 1-0 over Cherepovets.

Romanov with 5:20 TOI spread out over 8 shifts and 0:28 TOA (Time on Attack).

He is the second most used defenseman in the period. Only Nesterov played more among the D.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
After two periods, CSKA is up 2-0.

Romanov with 9:40 TOI spread out over 15 shifts and 2:13 TOA.

He has 2 SOG and 1 Block.

After being the 2nd most used defenseman after the first period, he is now the 4th most used. That could be explained because CSKA went on the PK 4 times in the second period.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
It's encouraging to know that Romanov's getting more ice-time now than at the same time last year. If he can continue to improve his play selection in the offensive zone and get better overall, he'll be a great one for us.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Missed the first two periods of the game but from the little I saw he did look comfortable out there, calm decisions under pressure and good defensive coverage. It's great that he's getting more TOI as well, don't think it's the best thing for his development to be playing #7D minutes on the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Missed the first two periods of the game but from the little I saw he did look comfortable out there, calm decisions under pressure and good defensive coverage. It's great that he's getting more TOI as well, don't think it's the best thing for his development to be playing #7D minutes on the team.

I actually like how his KHL team is grooming Romanov. They are giving him opportunity here and there and monitoring his play as he matures. Ice time will come and I support the strategy of making him earn it. Keeps him hungry to keep getting better. If you just give opportunity when it's not earned, complacency can set in but that depends on each player.

Lots to like in this kids game and hard to predict how good he can be. Looking forward to seeing him at the WJC again! I support not rushing the kid and inserting him in the NHL when he is ready to make an impact after he develops in the KHL and international tournaments playing against players his own age.

Reactions: abo9

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I actually like how his KHL team is grooming Romanov. They are giving him opportunity here and there and monitoring his play as he matures. Ice time will come and I support the strategy of making him earn it. Keeps him hungry to keep getting better. If you just give opportunity when it's not earned, complacency can set in but that depends on each player.

Lots to like in this kids game and hard to predict how good he can be. Looking forward to seeing him at the WJC again! I support not rushing the kid and inserting him in the NHL when he is ready to make an impact after he develops in the KHL and international tournaments playing against players his own age.

No I do not mean just gifting him the top 4 role in one of the deepest teams in the league. But if you're not going to play the kid then for his sake at least loan him somewhere because glueing his ass on the bench is the worst development plan out there. I'm glad they are starting to give him regular 3rd pairing minutes to keep him at least somewhat employed.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
Bergevin sure is talking like he will be in Montreal next year…

“Since that time, things have changed,” the GM added. “The player has aged. The organization has changed direction. We have a lot of young people growing up. I will name them. The (Noah) Juulsen, the (Victor) Mete, the (Josh) Brook … (Alexander) Romanov, who will be here in a year. Then, we really want to give our young people a chance.”

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin not interested in signing Andrei Markov

https://t.co/oIvVNWirAv

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Romanov paired up with Nesterov again. They're both listed as the third pair, but Nesterov is their #1 defenseman so you can make the case that Romanov is on the top pair.

CSKA is playing at noon ET against Novgorod.

Reactions: dralaf

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For some perspective to some who question Romanov's usage, particularly in the first two games, Canucks' 10th overall pick Podkolzin also cracked the SKA St. Petersburg KHL line-up as an 18 year old (like Romanov did with CSKA last year). Podkolzin has barely been used:

We don't know what his usage will end up being by the end of the year. But he has played less than 1 minute in multiple games.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
After one period, CSKA leads 1-0.

Romanov with 4:20 TOI spread out over 6 shifts. With 1:02 TOA.

He was the second least used defenseman. But the first period was more a special teams game and since Romanov doesn't play PP and not much on PK, he didn't get much TOI.

*CSKA had 2 PPs and went shorthanded 4 times. Gives you an idea on how much Romanov's TOI was affected because of this.

Reactions: Johny

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For some perspective to some who question Romanov's usage, particularly in the first two games, Canucks' 10th overall pick Podkolzin also cracked the SKA St. Petersburg KHL line-up as an 18 year old (like Romanov did with CSKA last year). Podkolzin has barely been used:

We don't know what his usage will end up being by the end of the year. But he has played less than 1 minute in multiple games.

I dont know if it answers anything. Players need to play minutes. The KHL isnt a good spot to develop 18 and 19 years old IMO

Reactions: 26Mats

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I dont know if it answers anything. Players need to play minutes. The KHL isnt a good spot to develop 18 and 19 years old IMO

I agree. I understand being an 18 year old rookie and you're being sheltered so at first you're not given substantial ice time. But Podkolzin won't learn anything playing 40 seconds or less in multiple games.

Hopefully for his and Canucks' sake, that will change slowly, slowly. You have to think the Canucks aren't too thrilled with that. And I doubt they're expecting him to play 15-20 mins a game to start.

The good thing with Romanov is that he gets more meaningful minutes and is relied upon more. Aside from the first two games where he saw little ice time, he's played much more in the following games.

Reactions: Mrb1p and dralaf

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree. I understand being an 18 year old rookie and you're being sheltered so at first you're not given substantial ice time. But Podkolzin won't learn anything playing 40 seconds or less in multiple games.

Hopefully for his and Canucks' sake, that will change slowly, slowly. You have to think the Canucks aren't too thrilled with that. And I doubt they're expecting him to play 15-20 mins a game to start.

The good thing with Romanov is that he gets more meaningful minutes and is relied upon more. Aside from the first two games where he saw little ice time, he's played much more in the following games.
Especially for Pod... hes a kid that needs reps, and a lot of them. Obviously Romanov plays more, but Im not sure its still optimal.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Especially for Pod... hes a kid that needs reps, and a lot of them. Obviously Romanov plays more, but Im not sure its still optimal.

I think it is optimal. He's playing 13-15 mins a game for most of the year. And he's playing those minutes on one of the more stacked teams in the KHL.

Reactions: dralaf

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think it is optimal. He's playing 13-15 mins a game for most of the year. And he's playing those minutes on one of the more stacked teams in the KHL.
That wasnt his icetime for last year, though. He played a few 15 or 16 minutes hut he hovered around 11 12 more often than not, I think.

I do hope he gets around 15 a game this year, that would be great.

I think he needs reps on the PP too but thats asking a lot from Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad