Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
St. Louis can still sign him to 8 if he hits ufa, at least that's my understanding

An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a club may sign a player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that player was on such club's reserve list as of and since the most recent trade deadline. With respect to potential unrestricted free agents only, the ability to re-sign a player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. With respect to a player who becomes a Group 2 restricted free agent, a club may sign such player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such player was on such club's reserve list and/or restricted free agent list as of and since the most recent trade deadline.

p 285 (305 of the pdf)

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Not sure if the new CBA changed this.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I know cap friendly has the Leafs at 6.1 million but I'm not sure why, they were at 4.6 then they traded Kapanen should put them at 7.8

Still not enough but better than 6.1

I thought they were counting E rod but he isn't signed and appears to be missing from the roster.
If you're going off of available cap for next season it takes into account the raises for engvall and muzz.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lol I love how people change the narrative to fit there agendas lol. Nobody is taking a 11 mil cap hit winger.

Panarin too?

My agenda is that a global pandemic has created a scenario when the most successful team of the decade has gone down to 70 million cap?

surrrrree.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
St. Louis is just as much home as Toronto at this point, maybe more so. These guys end up playing much of their adult lives in other cities, often marry local girls and have families, and then become part of the community. Petro might end up in Toronto but let's not romanticize it.
Hey, I am a Sabres fan and don't want Pietro in Toronto but the media know what's going on and they are talking the same lingo as they were a year out before the Tavares signing.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It may have changed, as stammer signed an 8 yr with the bolts after hitting f/a. There aren't many instances to go off of other than that one which immediately comes to mind
Stamkos signed a couple of days before FA. He spoke to teams in the negotiation period, which no longer exists.

Reactions: Ciao

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you trade Andersen you need to acquire a #1 goalie. Like, Murray or Lehner won't be cheaper than him.

You have 6 mil in cap to sign at least 4 forwards and fix the right side of the D. Not really possible without drafting and developing some young talent.
When you acquire star players on HF, you don't need to pay anyone else.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How many teams can afford 11 mil in cao space right now....

today. Quite a few. Colorado. Detroit. Buffalo (who need money) etc.

teams are trying to cut to 70 in salary. There will be more as they go. In regards to the relevance to Petro I don’t see it? The leafs wouldn’t trade marner to get rid of Petro.

But they absolutely could move him for value pretty easy.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Legion

14 teams can afford 11 mil in cap and thats with out having a full roster already in place. So that should narrow it down. To about 10 or less.

Reactions: Luckylarry

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I just hope he goes somewhere west. Dont want him going to Toronto or Philly. Pittsburgh or Boston would also be a scary destination.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
today. Quite a few. Colorado. Detroit. Buffalo (who need money) etc.

teams are trying to cut to 70 in salary. There will be more as they go. In regards to the relevance to Petro I don’t see it? The leafs wouldn’t trade marner to get rid of Petro.

But they absolutely could move him for value pretty easy.
The NHL salary cap should never have stayed flat. It should have stayed tied to revenues with the players getting their 52%. This is just creating an imbalance in the league and going against everything the league fought for in the last CBA. Some rich team will win the cup for the foreseeable future.....

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Petro is going to the Leafs 100%. Everyone should understand this by now. Something team friendly around $8.9 per. Book it. They can easily fill out the roster with the Thornton's and Simmonds for a million each. Dubas will get credit but players will want to come home during the pandemic.
Hahaha.

Thank you for that man!! Really appreciate it!

I needed that.

Tavares, Matthews, Marner raped TO but Petro will sign at under market to " come home"

:laugh:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's just a tactic. Hell entertain invtervies on the first day of UFA then sign with the blues once they up the offer through higher SBs most likely.

The only places that would make sense for Pietrangelo rn would be Avs or maybe Bruins on short term deals. Everywhere else he might desire to go (toronto, rangers, pens, bolts) dont have capspace to bring him in

Why short term on Bruins?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think it is going to cost him more than that.

I don't see many teams being able to dish out 10+ million. Even to a guy who probably deserves it.

This is especially if there is going to be no fans next season.

If there are no fans, then there will be no hockey, so it will be moot.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hahaha.

Thank you for that man!! Really appreciate it!

I needed that.

Tavares, Matthews, Marner raped TO but Petro will sign at under market to " come home"

:laugh:

? Tavares signed for 14 million less than his offer.

Matthews didn’t allow himself to get to RFA for a massive sheet.

marner took 1.5 too much

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
The NHL salary cap should never have stayed flat. It should have stayed tied to revenues with the players getting their 52%. This is just creating an imbalance in the league and going against everything the league fought for in the last CBA. Some rich team will win the cup for the foreseeable future.....
How? The flat cap helps small market teams immensely.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I don't disagree, but I think even the top guys like Petro and Hall are going to take a bit of a hit. They'll end up with a lower AAV than players of their caliber have lately. The mid tier free agents are the ones that are going to get pummeled as they're no longer going to get the kind of term AND AAV they normally do in FA.

And let's also not forget the no state tax advantage Vegas will have. 8.5m from Vegas is better than 10m from Toronto.

No it isn’t, and this has been covered enough by guys like Bob Mackenzie that it should be common knowledge. Not only is it not an important factor to these guys, but the fact his 10M in USD is being used to purchase Canadian eliminates the gap.

If he were to hypothetically get a 10m offer from the Leafs (and I don’t think they will be pursuing him.) he will also receive a lockout proofed contract with a bonus of 15-20M.

The point is, the 10M actually has almost 13.2M buying power where he will be living. 8.5M in Vegas is still 8.5M, and without the gargantuan bonus money on top.

Reactions: BrainyBomber

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
What do you think revenues will be for the upcoming season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad