Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
You are nuts if you think teams wouldn’t gladly trade for marner.
His cap hit is definitely inflated but many teams are desperate for talent. He has 5 years left and will make about $7 million per year.
Cash strapped teams will love that.... and they could care less about the cap..... but I get the sense you already know that
If you say so. I thi k retention or cap coming back

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Not true.

he forgot:

*without completely destroying their depth

Tho I think it could easily be a 10-11M contract and be Matthews who goes before Marner, and it'd still bring in a massive haul.

Alternatively, Toronto deals Nylander and Johnsson for cap space, and then have 16.5M in cap space. To sign Pietrangelo (9-11M) Ceci/Dermott (~>4M each) and FIVE forwards

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I just hope he goes somewhere west. Dont want him going to Toronto or Philly. Pittsburgh or Boston would also be a scary destination.

Pens couldn't afford him unless they moved out Letang+. Letang only makes $7.25 million, and I'm assuming Pietrangelo will want at least $8.5 million. So another $1.25 million or so would also have to be moved just to fit him in.

Reactions: bukwas

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
But your smaller pieces aren’t gonna get much value.

If Kapanen was like Johnsson was this year, he wouldn’t have returned 15th overall (I mean injured and having question marks). Kerfoot might return a 3C who is younger with very little 2C upside or a 3rd or 4th round pick. Soup I figure might return a late 1st or get a Kapanen return at best, only because he hasn’t had Kap production (no fault of his own).

Dermott is probably the Leafs best current trade chip but any return is gonna result in the Leafs taking a bath on it, unless a team really wants him. Like I can see the Sens “overpaying” for him (say Formenton and one of their 27 seconds they have)
Leafs made room with kappy...3.2mm. They dont need to sign Barrie and Ceci . Another 6.75mm. Johnsson 3.4mm can be moved. That is 13.3mm. Other additional players are in play without touching a guy like Marner. Leafs have Sandin is already on the roster. Lehtonen is coming. Liljegren can replace a more expensive Holl. Anderson might go. Marincin or Rosen could be jettisoned.
Defense would have, rielly, pietro, muzzin, dermott, Sandin, Liljegren, lehtonen and holler Rosen. There is room to do something and worse case scenario, you move Nylander for another 7mm... for picks , prospects and or depth.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
The uncertainty of when or if the next season starts kind of reduces the urgency with Pietrangelo. They have plenty of time to look for transactions that can simplify re-signing him.
I’d say he stays with the Blues.

Reactions: Ciao and bukwas

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
teams always have money for elite players. it's depth players who are gonna take a hit

We'll see. Ordinarily I would agree with you, but this is an unprecedented time, and the next couple years are still up in the air. This is probably the hardest hit the richer teams have ever been. When the league was struggling previously before the lockout, the Avs, Flyers, Wings and Rangers would still all spend freely. Now, that may no longer be the case for even the "have" teams today, and the flat cap and other teams not wanting to spend is going to make it difficult for the few teams who can afford it to even make room. I'm sure the Leafs wouldn't have a financial problem going 10+, but that would require both them clearing the cap necessary, as well as needing to go that high to outbid other teams.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Leafs made room with kappy...3.2mm. They dont need to sign Barrie and Ceci . Another 6.75mm. Johnsson 3.4mm can be moved. That is 13.3mm. Other additional players are in play without touching a guy like Marner. Leafs have Sandin is already on the roster. Lehtonen is coming. Liljegren can replace a more expensive Holl. Anderson might go. Marincin or Rosen could be jettisoned.
Defense would have, rielly, pietro, muzzin, dermott, Sandin, Liljegren, lehtonen and holler Rosen. There is room to do something and worse case scenario, you move Nylander for another 7mm... for picks , prospects and or depth.

As far as I know, the Leafs only have 6.1 available. That’s without Hyman getting a new contract, an entire 4th line, Soup getting resigned, Engvall getting a new contract (unsure of his contract status), plus a buffer. Feel free to correct me on any of these things (other than the 4th line). I just don’t see how this is feasible for the Leafs. Marner, Matthews or Tavares are the only people that clears out enough space, or Nylander, Andersen, and (Overpaid slightly dman).

Reactions: jmco

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The uncertainty of when or if the next season starts kind of reduces the urgency with Pietrangelo. They have plenty of time to look for transactions that can simplify re-signing him.
I’d say he stays with the Blues.

I think that the uncertainty of the season is exactly why he will sign ASAP. With as many bonuses as possible

Reactions: CupInSIX

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
His calculation overlooked the contract extension raises given out. As it is, the $6.1 million already included letting Barrie and Ceci go and the Kapanen trade.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
he forgot:

*without completely destroying their depth

Tho I think it could easily be a 10-11M contract and be Matthews who goes before Marner, and it'd still bring in a massive haul.

Alternatively, Toronto deals Nylander and Johnsson for cap space, and then have 16.5M in cap space. To sign Pietrangelo (9-11M) Ceci/Dermott (~>4M each) and FIVE forwards
Ceci/Dermott 4M each!!!! Dude :laugh:

Ceci is done in Toronto and Dermott won't get more than 2.5 per year if he's even with the team next season

Reactions: Kurtz

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Ceci/Dermott 4M each!!!! Dude :laugh:

Ceci is done in Toronto and Dermott won't get more than 2.5 per year if he's even with the team next season

Oh sorry, 14M to sign Pietrangelo and five+ forwards then assuming you're correct. *fingers crossed*

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
You are nuts if you think teams wouldn’t gladly trade for marner.
His cap hit is definitely inflated but many teams are desperate for talent. He has 5 years left and will make about $7 million per year.
Cash strapped teams will love that.... and they could care less about the cap..... but I get the sense you already know that
That is all correct, but it also doesn’t necessarily mean Marner will bring a monster package. It’s one thing to trade him, it’s another to get fair value based on his hockey output. Covid will hurt all money deals, and a lot of bad contracts will be stranded by this.

Marner can be traded, but the return will be less than stellar unless money is going back.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
That is all correct, but it also doesn’t necessarily mean Marner will bring a monster package. It’s one thing to trade him, it’s another to get fair value based on his hockey output. Covid will hurt all money deals, and a lot of bad contracts will be stranded by this.

Marner can be traded, but the return will be less than stellar unless money is going back.

Well luckily for the Leafs Marner is a 23 year old 90+ point player signed long term and these don’t grow on trees. The Leafs would have no problem getting a huge package for him no matter how many excuses people come up with.

Reactions: teddygmr

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

We would obviously get a roster player coming back, nobody is going to give up a straight futures package that would be enough to get Marner. It would likely be someone on a backloaded 2nd contact where the team getting Marner could end up saving real dollars on the upgrade.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I would be shocked if Pietrangelo’s AAV isn’t 10+. COVID or not, the guy is going to get paid. The premier guys aren’t getting squeezed, it’s the role players that will get screwed.
Be prepared to be shocked.
Even before Covid it became apparent that the big contracts given to Karlsson and Doughty are not aging well. Given Pietrangelo's age, he is unlikely to get 10+.

Reactions: Blueston

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Petro is going to the Leafs 100%. Everyone should understand this by now. Something team friendly around $8.9 per. Book it. They can easily fill out the roster with the Thornton's and Simmonds for a million each. Dubas will get credit but players will want to come home during the pandemic.
The best way to fix your issue of having $40M tied up into 4 players is definitely to now make it $49 tied up into 5 players...

Reactions: TK 421 and Regal

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Pessimistic as I am, I don't see AP getting over 8M with term. As much as Dubas gets shit on for the Matthews deal, I think we're going to start to see a transition of max term deals declining, or the player will have to value term over dollars.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Come on guys, according to conspiracy theo... Uhm I mean Montreal media, Petro is coming to Montreal.

Bergevin signed Allen and then Edmundson to entice Petro to sign in Montreal.

Come on now, it's so obvious.

Then he will trade Petry and get a killer haul, followed by Danault and Domi for scoring wingers probably even try for Tarasenko!
Then he will trade for Mikko Koivu as his 3rd line center for a 4th rounder and prospect and have A Koivu retire as a Hab.

Reactions: missionAvs

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
If Pietro signs with Leafs, Habs will take Marner for Domi.

I think that would actually benefit both teams. Leafs would look scary with Pietro + Domi though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad