Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Sure it is. If teams don't have the money to pay him, he's SOL. The reason UFAs get paid is because GMs can't help themselves from bidding against one another. In normal circumstances, he would for sure get some offers of 10+, but if no teams aren't willing to spend that money due to budget constraints, he's not going to get paid.

teams always have money for elite players. it's depth players who are gonna take a hit

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why short term on Bruins?
I was thinking Bruins make a play at both Hall and Pietrangelo short term. 1 or maybe 2 years nearly fully Signing bonuses. They got for it completely for the short term and then begin a rebuild if they fail to win in those 2 years. They could get him long term but I think the Bruins would be better off addressing their top 6 then committing long term to Pietrangelo

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No it isn’t, and this has been covered enough by guys like Bob Mackenzie that it should be common knowledge. Not only is it not an important factor to these guys, but the fact his 10M in USD is being used to purchase Canadian eliminates the gap.

If he were to hypothetically get a 10m offer from the Leafs (and I don’t think they will be pursuing him.) he will also receive a lockout proofed contract with a bonus of 15-20M.

The point is, the 10M actually has almost 13.2M buying power where he will be living. 8.5M in Vegas is still 8.5M, and without the gargantuan bonus money on top.

huh?????????

All of the agents. Players and GMs have said the exact opposite to what you have said.

Mike Johnson. Who played for Tampa and Toronto was literally talking about it today

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If they give him a final offer and he says naw, I’m testing FA, is the offer still there if he decides to stay?

Yes and no. If for instance the Blues offer 8 years at 9M per, if he goes to UFA to get the same money at the end of the contract, it has to be 7 years at ~10.2M per (assuming straight money and none of it is a signing bonus)

Reactions: Luckylarry

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
No it isn’t, and this has been covered enough by guys like Bob Mackenzie that it should be common knowledge. Not only is it not an important factor to these guys, but the fact his 10M in USD is being used to purchase Canadian eliminates the gap.

If he were to hypothetically get a 10m offer from the Leafs (and I don’t think they will be pursuing him.) he will also receive a lockout proofed contract with a bonus of 15-20M.

The point is, the 10M actually has almost 13.2M buying power where he will be living. 8.5M in Vegas is still 8.5M, and without the gargantuan bonus money on top.
I’d venture to guess buying power has almost nothing to do with a players decision UNLESS that players plans on living/retiring in that country. And even then, whether he gets 10M in Toronto, or 10M in Vegas, he’ll still have the same buying power when his hockey career is over.

For example, why on earth would Pietrangelo care what his buying power in Canada is when he’s likely only spending a small portion of his life there?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
teams always have money for elite players. it's depth players who are gonna take a hit
No doubt.

but what makes it different this year, I think, is moving out money is going to extremely challenging.

there’s going to be a lot of teams trying to shed salary, and very few teams looking to add.

Reactions: Ciao

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Guys won’t want front loaded bonuses. Escrow is 20% and takes that out of the bonus dollars too. If a guy signs for term, they will want to back load their money to reduce the effects of escrow. Plus, lots of guys like living in the States, because they (and mostly their family) can be anonymous. Pietrangelo will either stay in St. Loo, or head to a warm spot.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No doubt.

but what makes it different this year, I think, is moving out money is going to extremely challenging.

there’s going to be a lot of teams trying to shed salary, and very few teams looking to add.
There will be a number of teams (Sens and Coyotes for sure) looking to add contracts that have high cap hits, but little left on actual dollars paid out. So I think we see several strange looking trades until the real money saved is considered. Pietrangelo could easily end up in Vegas.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There will be a number of teams (Sens and Coyotes for sure) looking to add contracts that have high cap hits, but little left on actual dollars paid out. So I think we see several strange looking trades until the real money saved is considered. Pietrangelo could easily end up in Vegas.

I honestly can see Vegas as a realistic possibility

Reactions: Luckylarry

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't believe that Pietrangelo is actually going to leave St Louis. I didn't believe Tavares would leave NYI until the Leafs made the official announcement, so I won't believe it until Pietrangelo is announced as signing with his new team.

If he would sign with the Leafs, I'd take him in a heartbeat and trade Marner. Can't let a #1D just walk on past, that's too much value.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'll drive marner to the airport to bring in Petey. would be nice to get a replacement top 6 rw and some solid picks/prospects for him
The only way you trade Marner is by taking salary back. Kind of defeats the purpose. Easier to move smaller pieces.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I was thinking Bruins make a play at both Hall and Pietrangelo short term. 1 or maybe 2 years nearly fully Signing bonuses. They got for it completely for the short term and then begin a rebuild if they fail to win in those 2 years. They could get him long term but I think the Bruins would be better off addressing their top 6 then committing long term to Pietrangelo

I think more likely they sign AP long term and move Carlo for some ELC top 6 help. No sense having Carlo on the third pair, ya know?

Reactions: hamzarocks

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If Winnipeg trade Laine for top picks or a young entry-level forward with proven goal-scoring potential, they should have the money to go after him hard right? Their desperate defensive need will make sense and Winnipeg is not that far from Toronto and staying in Central will give him a huge advantage as he already knows how to play against the divisional teams. Maybe he is low key and does not like all that media attention being on a team like Toronto. He just recently won a cup too so going to a contender may not be that a big deal for him but the contract $$$ will. Also curious if anyone knows if his wife is from Toronto, St. Louis, or elsewhere?

Winnipeg can figure it out and offer him the top dollar and with him, they will become a top contender instantly again even without Laine. Next, I can see Caps or Pens going hard after him as well.

Still think Toronto will rather trade Nylander than their prize winger Marner as the GM is really high on that player and if they would have been willing to let him go, they would have done so before resigning him for that much money. Now with that price tag and term, it will be much harder to move him as that is the kind of money you dish out for an elite centre not winger (unless he can score 50 goals).

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think more likely they sign AP long term and move Carlo for some ELC top 6 help. No sense having Carlo on the third pair, ya know?
Ya that's another good solution for the Bs. Carlo should get a pretty good winger. Guys like reinhart(probably not a target due to contract status and buffalo not needing RHD), vrana, boesor, tuch, cirelli, seem like good targets.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The only way you trade Marner is by taking salary back. Kind of defeats the purpose. Easier to move smaller pieces.

But your smaller pieces aren’t gonna get much value.

If Kapanen was like Johnsson was this year, he wouldn’t have returned 15th overall (I mean injured and having question marks). Kerfoot might return a 3C who is younger with very little 2C upside or a 3rd or 4th round pick. Soup I figure might return a late 1st or get a Kapanen return at best, only because he hasn’t had Kap production (no fault of his own).

Dermott is probably the Leafs best current trade chip but any return is gonna result in the Leafs taking a bath on it, unless a team really wants him. Like I can see the Sens “overpaying” for him (say Formenton and one of their 27 seconds they have)

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Lol I love how people change the narrative to fit there agendas lol. Nobody is taking a 11 mil cap hit winger.
You are nuts if you think teams wouldn’t gladly trade for marner.
His cap hit is definitely inflated but many teams are desperate for talent. He has 5 years left and will make about $7 million per year.
Cash strapped teams will love that.... and they could care less about the cap..... but I get the sense you already know that

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Maybe ,he looks into F/A first to see what is out there...But at this point in his career ,it seems unlikely he doesnt give STL first chance to sign him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad