Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If he hits the market I'm confident Vegas will find a way to put in an offer in the 8 x 7 range.

I still don't think St. Louis is dumb enough to let him walk, but if they are it'll come down to Toronto and Vegas.

What cap space do they have for him?

The Knights are pretty much in the same boat as the leafs when it comes to cap space.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I would be shocked if Pietrangelo’s AAV isn’t 10+. COVID or not, the guy is going to get paid. The premier guys aren’t getting squeezed, it’s the role players that will get screwed.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
St. Louis is just as much home as Toronto at this point, maybe more so. These guys end up playing much of their adult lives in other cities, often marry local girls and have families, and then become part of the community. Petro might end up in Toronto but let's not romanticize it.

well to be fair. He came up here in a pandemic and called into Toronto radio saying that he grew up dreaming about playing in Toronto and that JT was living out his dream. He called toronto an exciting possibility.

I kinda think he is negotiating through. The media myself. But Petro has been romanticizing it more than leaf media/fans

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I would be shocked if Pietrangelo’s AAV isn’t 10+. COVID or not, the guy is going to get paid. The premier guys aren’t getting squeezed, it’s the role players that will get screwed.

Pietrangelo is becoming a free agent at the worst possible time.

I hear a lot of teams are going to self impose a cap due to what is going on with the coronavirus.

I really do not think Pietrangelo is going to get as high a contract as some people think. I think people are going to be surprised on what contract he gets.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
What cap space do they have for him?

You'd have to move out a forward or two. Probably Stastny and/or Marchie. If you can move both you replace Marchie with Tuch and Stas with Glass a year early. 3rd line takes a hit, but I'd argue the upgrade on D more than makes up for it. Sign a cheap 3rd line wing and let Krebs/Dugan/Elvenes compete for a spot.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You do understand that you will have to have 2-3 mil rerention on marner. His comtract is crazy bad

lol. You can’t be serious. Marner is owed less
Than 4th pair Justin faulk.

The cap hit means nothing if teams are cutting salary.

Reactions: axlrose87

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

I hear a lot of teams are going to self impose a cap due to what is going on with the coronavirus.

I really do not think Pietrangelo is going to get as high a contract as some people think. I think people are going to be surprised on what contract he gets.

Agreed. Prior to the pandemic he probably would have gotten 10m+ per year. Now I think he's probably going to be in the 8m range.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015

tsn seems to think the pandemic has cost him $1 million a year or so.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Agreed. Prior to the pandemic he probably would have gotten 10m+ per year. Now I think he's probably going to be in the 8m range.

Eh, teams will go with 22 players and send up/down younger guys on 2 way deals to really cut costs.

I really don't think the guys at the top will get much of a pay cut. The ones at the bottom though...

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think it is going to cost him more than that.

I don't see many teams being able to dish out 10+ million. Even to a guy who probably deserves it.

This is especially if there is going to be no fans next season.

I absolutely agree. I should have written that they see him signed for the low $8 million range.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Eh, teams will go with 22 players and send up/down younger guys on 2 way deals to really cut costs.

I really don't think the guys at the top will get much of a pay cut. The ones at the bottom though...

I disagree.

Teams are really hurting financial wise.

Wasn't their a tweet that came out that said only 3 teams could sustain the financial hit of having no fans in the arena?

I also read a report that said that many teams will be inflicting a self imposed cap.

It is very doubtful that fans will be in the arenas next season.

I absolutely think the top guys will have to take a pay cut to get a contract.

Reactions: axlrose87 and Ciao

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada

I read that as well... +/-15 to 20 team will have an internal cap
But one of the rich team will find a way to sign him to 9M+ book it

If he signs in STL, my guess is 5yrs/8.5M

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

I don't disagree, but I think even the top guys like Petro and Hall are going to take a bit of a hit. They'll end up with a lower AAV than players of their caliber have lately. The mid tier free agents are the ones that are going to get pummeled as they're no longer going to get the kind of term AND AAV they normally do in FA.

And let's also not forget the no state tax advantage Vegas will have. 8.5m from Vegas is better than 10m from Toronto.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
lol no it isn't

Sure it is. If teams don't have the money to pay him, he's SOL. The reason UFAs get paid is because GMs can't help themselves from bidding against one another. In normal circumstances, he would for sure get some offers of 10+, but if no teams aren't willing to spend that money due to budget constraints, he's not going to get paid.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I don't disagree, but I think even the top guys like Petro and Hall are going to take a bit of a hit. They'll end up with a lower AAV than players of their caliber have lately. The mid tier free agents are the ones that are going to get pummeled as they're no longer going to get the kind of term AND AAV they normally do in FA.
Exactly what I think as well..

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
When 17 teams are cutting. Costs for the hot dog guy the cap hit is completely irrelevant.

it’s all about the money owed. People don’t get paid in cap hits.
Lol I love how people change the narrative to fit there agendas lol. Nobody is taking a 11 mil cap hit winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->