Alex Chiasson-UPDATE-Awarded $1.2 million for 1 year thru arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yeah, this guy gets too much flack. He's had a lot of setbacks early on in his career due to injury. He's got some good tools and just needs to get comfortable out there. I think he also got off to a bad start because he was a young player and we had MacLean playing all the vets. Then, when things started clicking between the top lines he got relegated to bottom 6.

I doubt he'll ever become a 1st line FWD but he's the kind of depth player that can step up in times of injury. Maybe he can make the most of those opportunities and that just pushes other players to fight for the spot.

He got off to a fantastic start under Maclean. Effective at ES. Good net presence getting decent minutes on the PP. After 20 games he fell off large and was relegated to lower lines because he just wasn't good.

What were you watching?

BigBush*

I don't know about that, Michalek was a legitimate threat before he got injured towards the end of the season.

True. But he was playing with our two best forwards in Turris and Stone.

Michalek doesn't produce much while outside of the top 6, just like Chiasson

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Chiasson was not producing much when he was in the top 6. He needs to show more jam and get to the net.

BigBush*

Chiasson and his agent are probably partying like crazy and are still in disbelief that Chiasson will be making a whole half million more then Pageau this season.

Pageau is like what the ****, was his lack of career playoffs hat tricks even considered???

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Agents never have, and never will, propose an arbitration salary that is anything but the absolute maximum, "pie-in-the-sky" award imaginable.

If Chiasson's agent would have proposed anything under $2mil, he should have been fired on the spot. The point of the player's submitted salary, in the way that arbitration is currently structured, is to create a high top-end for the negotiator to consider. You shoot for the moon, and hope that when the arbitrator makes a decision, that your high bid influenced the arbitrator enough that if he decides to split the difference between the player's submitted salary and the team's, that the artificially high value will drag that "halfway" point up by a couple of hundeed thousand dollars.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I like the way they do it in MLB, where the arbitrator has to pick one of the parties' bid. This ensures that the bids stay reasonable, i.e. close to the true valuation. Basic game theory.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
As I posted earlier I had him pegged at between $1.15M and $1.35M so $1.20M is right on the money. The arbitration system works! :)

I reasoned that the $1M offer from the Sens had given them room to negotiate upwards a bit and the $2.475M from Chiasson's side was an outrageous overreach. The real number had to be much closer to but above what the Sens offered on a 1 year deal. Multi year deals with a mix of RFA and UFA years have a different value added but this should have been an easy contract to agree on. Chiasson's agent must have known where the target range should be and warned his client not to subject himself to the embarrassment of going through a hearing where his flaws might be aired.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I questioned the decision making of the agent by going with such a high number. As some of you fairly pointed out. He has to counter the lower number that the club will obviously give. I agree with that 100%. Where I think the disservice to Alex is is that the agents number was too inflatated, thus IMO it weakens your position when presenting you case. I think this decision blows the 'middle ground' theory out of the water a bit, and the arbitrator clearly favoured the clubs arguments.
Would the decision have been different if a more honest and realistic number had been given? Say 1.75 or 2 vs 2.4m?

Who knows... Interesting debate fodder

BigBush*

I like the way they do it in MLB, where the arbitrator has to pick one of the parties' bid. This ensures that the bids stay reasonable, i.e. close to the true valuation. Basic game theory.

That's how I'd like to see it done

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Most players would see their production suffer playing a checking role with lesser offensive players. BUt he played his role well.

Michalek isn't irreplaceable by any means, but he's a very nice option to have. IMagine Macarthur and Michalek flanking Pageau on the third line if the team managed to bring in a legit top 6 winger.

Those are 3 lines that can seriously burn ya. How do you check against that?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't get why you get so offended... I attacked your post (which IMO was bad), you could be the greatest guy that ever lived, it has no bearing on the situation.

...blah blah

Believe you me, I did not get offended nor mad. I just felt I had to respond since it was targeted towards me in particular. I do understand though that the internet is serious business.

You may say that you don't hate this place, but your every post contradicts this. Also, your condescension is a highlight of every post. So you may rethink what you actually say.

Yeah, micklebot is usually solid and I enjoy his posts but his base is stats. Which is great. I understand my views may not be the norm, which is maybe why it touches a nerve with you. Don't know. But let re-iterate that it was my opinion that Chiasson is on the downward swing and won't amount to much. Also, BM's love for big players clouded his judgement. Something similar to our own resident and loved "Aragorn". Hence, he was duped. Whether Chiasson or Paul was the main piece is up to debate. But *I* believe (making it clear so you don't get confused) Chiasson was the main piece. He was made out to be the top 6 power forward that BM has been on a quest to find for the past 5 years. Yet he's far from that. Ergo, BM was duped. I really hope Chiasson turns it around, because that is good news for the team I follow. But I'm not holding my breath.

If you want to go to a place where speculation and opinion is not the norm, then you are in the wrong place.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Most players would see their production suffer playing a checking role with lesser offensive players. BUt he played his role well.

Michalek isn't irreplaceable by any means, but he's a very nice option to have. IMagine Macarthur and Michalek flanking Pageau on the third line if the team managed to bring in a legit top 6 winger.

Those are 3 lines that can seriously burn ya. How do you check against that?

Michalek started the season with Zibanejad and Ryan. He didnt produce so he was moved down. The only time he produced was with Turris and Stone. Its something to consider. Im not so sure his lack of production was just because he was bottom 6.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Agents never have, and never will, propose an arbitration salary that is anything but the absolute maximum, "pie-in-the-sky" award imaginable.

If Chiasson's agent would have proposed anything under $2mil, he should have been fired on the spot. The point of the player's submitted salary, in the way that arbitration is currently structured, is to create a high top-end for the negotiator to consider. You shoot for the moon, and hope that when the arbitrator makes a decision, that your high bid influenced the arbitrator enough that if he decides to split the difference between the player's submitted salary and the team's, that the artificially high value will drag that "halfway" point up by a couple of hundeed thousand dollars.

I agree with you, posted almost the same thing.

I disagree with other positions stated that Chiasson has now poisoned the well around the league for himself. Nonsense, that's how arbitration works and everyone knows it.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Not really that surprising. He didn't build on his previous season so a $1.2mil, 1 year prove you can improve contract.

It's time for him to show he can be better.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Now that Alex Chiasson has been awarded $1.2M for next season, and from what I can gather is that the Sens do not have long range plans for him......

Why not move him for a pick and free up a spot for a prospect as I keep hearing how good Ottawa's development system it is time to put that to the test up top next season..........................

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
When it comes to salary expectations, as the French would say, to each Chiasson.

In the end, though, as the Americans say, he was Chiasson down a dream.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Now that Alex Chiasson has been awarded $1.2M for next season, and from what I can gather is that the Sens do not have long range plans for him......

Why not move him for a pick and free up a spot for a prospect as I keep hearing how good Ottawa's development system it is time to put that to the test up top next season..........................

If I'm not wrong, we can't trade him after signing him following an arbitration deal. This is a show me contract anyways, if he shows he's got value, we'll resign him next year - and posisbly trade him if he doesn't fit our plans.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
When it comes to salary expectations, as the French would say, to each Chiasson.

In the end, though, as the Americans say, he was Chiasson down a dream.

:handclap: :laugh:

Side note. People are way to defensive when it comes to murray. It seems like people have a hard time saying he might have made a mistake. I think Murray has done a good job overall but hey mistakes and overvaluations happen. Not saying that happened with Chiasson but it certainly is a possibility and some people might even say its likely since he called chiasson a top 6 forward. Obviously thats not cut and dry evidence as he could have been lieing or simply meant chiasson would get top 6 ice time.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
If I'm not wrong, we can't trade him after signing him following an arbitration deal. This is a show me contract anyways, if he shows he's got value, we'll resign him next year - and posisbly trade him if he doesn't fit our plans.

"PlayAsRus":

Thank you for the information on a player who goes through arbitration as I had no idea about that rule, as he can't be traded......

Hope he has a good yr then...............................

Well then trade for a pick and or put him in a package in a bigger deal........

Make way in Ottawa for a prospect no sense holding back a prospect who is ready........

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I actually think you can trade anytime after he receives his arbitration deal. You just can't trade him before a decision is made.

You might be thinking of the offer sheet rules. If a player gets offersheeted and the team matches, then the team cannot trade that player for a year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I actually think you can trade anytime after he receives his arbitration deal. You just can't trade him before a decision is made.

You might be thinking of the offer sheet rules. If a player gets offersheeted and the team matches, then the team cannot trade that player for a year.

I think so too.

Ttracer*

Big score chiasson! I never would have guessed Alex would be a millionaire in the NHL, maybe he got paid for potential? He looks so average but who knows maybe he will be good for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad