Alex Chiasson-UPDATE-Awarded $1.2 million for 1 year thru arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Chiasson has shown early that he has a high IQ for the game and is an offensive threat around the net. 3 PP goals early and whenever I see #90 on the ice in the offensive zone something tends to get generated. Love the trade. BM + his Scouts really know how to evaluate young hockey players.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I like his style, his goal yesterday typifies his style. He goes into traffic, into the corners and a great scouting job by the Ottawa staff.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Outside the top line I think he's been our best forward. Him and Ceci have been the two best surprises so far.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Is Chiasson playing with Benn and Seguin? No he is playing with Zibanejad who has 0 points.

His defensive game is good, he isn't soft he is hard on the forcheck gets the puck out and gets it in deep.

I'm just pointing out that both of the players have a minus rating right now because the majority of their production has been on the powerplay.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
It's exciting to see Ottawa with a player who's big, has hands, and seems to enjoy being right around the crease for rebounds/screening. He does have our highest plus/minus on the team but I don't think it's quite reflective for the offense he generates. I'm stoked to see how he performs throughout the season, so far he is doing better than I expected. I think he's a shoe-in for first line PP.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
drive to the net something murray didn't like about our team last year and why he wanted a PF

need more players to drive like him

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
I was impressed with Chiasson's play on the Michalek short handed goal. No panic shot. Took his time, stick handled and out-waited the sliding D and goalie and fed a backhand pass to Michalek. Too many guys would have just shot into the big goalie. The minus rating is a product of his line. Put him with Turris or Legwand and he's a plus player.

Karlsson2Turris*

We badly need a talented center to play with this guy. Hope Zibby turns it around and becomes that center.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I was thinking how good chiasson would look with spezza.

Very happy with chiasson and happy with that trade so far.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Not sure those old knocks about his effort level were fair. Seem more like poise to me, especially in around the net.

Great to have him here

Last edited:

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Was wondering when there was going to be a thread about him, guy deserves it!

Big, powerful, balance, decent skater, good shot and very high hockey IQ.
Very poised too and his defensive game is decent as well.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That goal he scored last night was sexy. He protects the puck along the boards like Peter Schaefer but actually has some finish. Gonna be a good player for a long time.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's had a habit of starting off really well. Let's hope he can keep it going. I think he can since we really have no choice but to give him minutes

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Beast. More than I could have hoped for. I was very iffy about getting him at first. I watched games last year and he wasn't as good as he's playing this year. Big jump in his play. His skating is much better too.

FQL said it best, he's like Schaefer with finish, which is an impact top 6.

Remember when Dallas reports said he was terrible infront of the net on PP and enigmatic? He's been complete opposite.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
That goal he scored last night was sexy. He protects the puck along the boards like Peter Schaefer but actually has some finish. Gonna be a good player for a long time.

I love that down on one knee thing he does. Did it on the shot last night, and I've seen him do it other times in other situations.

I had low expectations when we got him, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Talking about our captain making rookie mistakes. The double standard on here for players is disturbing.
Our captain... A minus!? Pathetic.and since I know we love playing this game. If our goalies weren't playing so well. Karlsson would be so far down the minus hole he could score 90 points this year and he wouldn't dig himself out.

....speaking of agendas :rolleyes:

Back to Chiasson, he is giving us everything we were lacking in the top 6. A big body that's a decent skater that drives to the net and stays there, who isn't afraid of traffic and plays a responsible game.

Only negative about him is a slight lack of foot speed. He parks in front of the net and has a longer way to go to backcheck, so having average speed can burn him on occasion. At least he's busting his butt on the backcheck...a strong effort is all we can ask.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
The thread title is "Player Discussion: Alex Chiasson", not "Player Discussion: Jason Spezza."

Post accordingly.

Karlsson2Turris*

I think he will put up 40-45 points and could see him being a consistent 50-55 point 2nd line RW with solid defensive play. If Paul and Guptill even turn into 3rd liners then that is a very good haul for someone who was going to walk anyway in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad