Alex Chiasson-UPDATE-Awarded $1.2 million for 1 year thru arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
For everyone else? Neil, Prince, Puempel, Smith...

prince and puempel? sure. But not neil or smith.

I know production isnt everything, but...

26>>>>7 or 3.

This is just too big too ignore. Chiasson can produce at the clip of an ok third liner, or a great 4th liner. Neil and smith produced at the clip of a mcgrattan style goon. I didn't even see either of them completely nail people or destroy anyone in a fight...so what the hell are they even doing nowadays?

For neil to be effective, he needs to be crushing people with open ice hits.
For smith to be effective, he needs to be engaged physically.
Neither has done this the last year or two.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
More than the money, what Chiasson heard in the arbitration meeting was probably the best wake-up call he could get. I think its a real win for both him longer term and the Sens too. Expect to see a very motivated player from now on and a much better contract waiting for him by the end of next season.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
prince and puempel? sure. But not neil or smith.

I know production isnt everything, but...

26>>>>7 or 3.

This is just too big too ignore. Chiasson can produce at the clip of an ok third liner, or a great 4th liner. Neil and smith produced at the clip of a mcgrattan style goon. I didn't even see either of them completely nail people or destroy anyone in a fight...so what the hell are they even doing nowadays?

For neil to be effective, he needs to be crushing people with open ice hits.
For smith to be effective, he needs to be engaged physically.
Neither has done this the last year or two.

Neil took Chiasson's spot in the playoffs for a game... After being long injured. Chiasson might be better overall now... Or not. He has to really improve to solidify his spot and not get scratched. He can not provide what Neil can... And does not bring enough otherwise to guarantee he does not legitimately lose his spot at times to Neil or anyone else that brings a certain something. He is our 11/12/13th best forward and he needs to get better not to be slotted there.

BigBush*

For everyone else? Neil, Prince, Puempel, Smith...

only Niel is a RW. I could see Chiasson being healthy scratched for Niel every once in a while, but i think they might just use Chiasson on his off wing.

We really dont have good depth on our farm team. Prince and Puempel are our only forwards that are really knocking on the door (and probably Paul will be soon).

I could see Prince passing Chiasson in the depth charts, but I think we'll see Puempel in the AHL for most of the season. He looked pretty good but still needs some more seasoning

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Neil was quoted as saying he will make it impossible for cameron not to put him in the lineup this year. I'm curious to see what happens with that.

BigBush*

Neil was quoted as saying he will make it impossible for cameron not to put him in the lineup this year. I'm curious to see what happens with that.

sweet. Neil can still game. He must really train hard in the off season because he's always got some jump to start the season. Phillips is still useful if he's healthy. I'd like to see both these guys play semi regularly. they can still help if they're not worn down

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Good for him. I like Neil. Honest player. Can play a 4th line role for sure if healthy.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Michalek is just way better the Chiasson. In every way. The worst Michalek ever played in the NHL and the best Chiasson ever played... Michalek is better.

Which makes sense cause Milan gets $4 million and Chiasson $1.2. Value per $ you start to have an argument... But Chiasson is gonna have to improve on last year just to stay in the league for more then a year or two. Milan is not nearly at that point in his career.

However you are comparing a RFA year (given through arbitration too) and UFA years.

That's a pretty bold prediction since Michalek has only scored 40+ points once in his career as a Senator.

That's a bit disingenuous because Michalek has been on pace for over 40 pts every season in his career except his rookie season in 05-06 (35 pts in 81 games) and that 13-14 campaign where he got 39 pts in 82 games. So as a Sen, he missed that mark only once and by 1 point. He has been a top-6 forward pretty much all his career even though he is madly unappreciated here in Ottawa... 109 goals in 380 games with the Sens, that's 24 goals per 82 games. 214 pts in 380 games, which is 49 pts per 82 games . 49 pts was 79th in scoring among NHL forwards last season...

His biggest problem with the Sens is only one 82 games season and another 77 games season. Three 66 games season and one 23 games season. Hard to put great stats when you miss many games.

only Niel is a RW. I could see Chiasson being healthy scratched for Niel every once in a while, but i think they might just use Chiasson on his off wing.

We really dont have good depth on our farm team. Prince and Puempel are our only forwards that are really knocking on the door (and probably Paul will be soon).

I could see Prince passing Chiasson in the depth charts, but I think we'll see Puempel in the AHL for most of the season. He looked pretty good but still needs some more seasoning

I am a bit surprised by this comment. Derek Grant just walked because he had no chance making the team... and if you saw him play before you'd know that he can easily hold a 4th line spot.

I think those guys could play (or start getting NHL games) this year :

Prince
Puempel
Robinson
O'Dell
Schneider (this guy deserves a try)
Paul (after a few months, maybe less)
DD (played in the NHL before and probably still could)
maybe even Dzingel and McCormick

And I'm only talking about forwards... We have about 7-9 guys who could take shifts in the NHL. How is that not awesome depth? Why do you think the Sens haven't been signing UFA bottom-6 forwards in a while? And even let walk a guy like Condra. Because our depth is impressive.

sweet. Neil can still game. He must really train hard in the off season because he's always got some jump to start the season. Phillips is still useful if he's healthy. I'd like to see both these guys play semi regularly. they can still help if they're not worn down

I hope they play a role for the team this season and retire with dignity and respect from the fans, with the big thank you that they deserve for being real Sens soldiers all those years and taking so many paycuts. Those guys could have make more money elsewhere pretty much all their careers. True Senators. It's really sad to see so many fans pissing on them.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Good for Neil. More competition the better.

I still expect him to lose his full time spot to one of the kids and/or Chaisson though in the long run.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

I still expect him to lose his full time spot to one of the kids and/or Chaisson though in the long run.

I love hearing that. Sense of drive and not entitlement. Kids in the AHL need to learn this attitude.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Neil played less games then normal by a mile for him last year. He could be very healthy come October. Everyone loves young guys but having Neil as the 4th line RW... If he can still play like Neil used to be able to... He brings something no one on the team can. He can score nearly as well as Chiasson did last year, provide net presence, take less stupid penalties then Smith or Chiasson and whatever minors he does get will be for punishing guys... Not because he took a cheap hook. Plus he just hits and hits and hits... Draws penalties. Neil still makes guys look for him on the ice and instills apprehension and throws guys that don't like getting hit off their games. Sure he is slower... And he knows it and has the veteran savvy to mitigate what he has lost as well as is possible.

If Chiasson or Prince or whomever really wants to ensure they are higher on the depth chart then Neil... They will have to bring it and effectively use their skill to score at a good clip.

I could easily see a 4th line of Puempel Lazar and Neil playing. You got speed, and crazy physicality and the ability to score sometimes. Lazar is underrated physically... He finishes every check. Puempel has a definite mean streak. Neil is Neil. I don't think any team would really relish facing that line.

I love out forward depth now. There are so many options. I think alot of them will play out in reality for a few games at least.

Neil will be bringing his A game. Chiasson and Smith better bring theirs. I think both if those vets still remain unsure what is their A game. They don't know their niche. I think Cameron will show them what they need to do. How they should play. Greening also if he is in Ottawa. Prince and or Puempel too. Neil knows exactly what his A game is. Exactly what he needs to do to stay in the lineup. He knows every weakness he has and every strength and knows his role completely. That is definitely an advantage Neil has over all the other options in securing a regular spot in the lineup.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Neil played in every game until he got hurt & missed the remainder of the season because of injury. I don't believe he was a healthy scratch before the injury. He did try to play in the playoffs but could not for many reasons other than passed by better players. He may not have been completely healed, he may not have been in game shape especially playoff shape after being out for so long. We don't really know what DCs opinion of Neil is just yet, we will have a much better idea after training camp though.

Xspyrit - add Lindberg to your list as being almost NHL ready.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chase Chase Chase ... Don't Finish my Check... Chase Chase Chase .... Battle Lose Fall Down... Repeat ... Oh wait I'm going to lean on this guy ... where did he go? 1.2 Million a fn year man,.,, There are hundreds even thousands of hockey players that could fill that spot. The only reason he is here is to save some semblance of face on the Spezza trade.... Play him Play him give him chances on the top 2 or 3... that's the message and he really, honestly does not deserve to be in the NHL on this team.

Neil at least hits and takes the man out on the forecheck we need more players that do before we take him out.... Then no problem

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Qft!

chase chase chase ... Don't finish my check... Chase chase chase .... Battle lose fall down... Repeat ... Oh wait i'm going to lean on this guy ... Where did he go? 1.2 million a fn year man,.,, there are hundreds even thousands of hockey players that could fill that spot. The only reason he is here is to save some semblance of face on the spezza trade.... Play him play him give him chances on the top 2 or 3... That's the message and he really, honestly does not deserve to be in the nhl on this team.

Neil at least hits and takes the man out on the forecheck we need more players that do before we take him out.... Then no problem

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
He has a slow release and no puck handling skills, He would have been the perfect 4th liner 10 years ago but the game has changed. We need a strong fast 4th liner capable of killing penalties and cycling the puck down deep while the other team tires. Chiasson may work hard but his possession stats are terrible and he brings down every line hes on.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Chase Chase Chase ... Don't Finish my Check... Chase Chase Chase .... Battle Lose Fall Down... Repeat ... Oh wait I'm going to lean on this guy ... where did he go? 1.2 Million a fn year man,.,, There are hundreds even thousands of hockey players that could fill that spot. The only reason he is here is to save some semblance of face on the Spezza trade.... Play him Play him give him chances on the top 2 or 3... that's the message and he really, honestly does not deserve to be in the NHL on this team.

Neil doesn't hit anymore. This isn't 2008.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I think Chiasson has had a great start to the season. I only remember him taking one bad penalty, but it was really bad and unnecessary.

He is very strong along the boards and is great at retrieving the puck. He has been driving to the net often enough too, a criticism I had of him last year. I still think he's capable of carving out a niche as a strong 3rd/4th liner capable of filling in for injured players in the top 6, kind of like a lesser version of Michalek (now, not in his prime).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Chiasson was in his sophomore season last year.

Points per 60 minutes among all forwards that played at least 50 minutes in the NHL last season : 263th out of 502 forwards

If those statements highlighted were true... then why Chiasson wasn't the worst among his peers?

In his rookie season with Dallas, he was 195th out of 517 NHL forwards, which means that he would have been close to top-6 forward production with more minutes...

Defensively, his numbers seem to have improved last year as he went from 451/517 in 2013-14 to 161/502 in 2014-15 in terms of GA/60 (goals against when on the ice)

But sorry, maybe it's because Ottawa is the mecca of Hockey lol

In conclusion, I think you are misleading the poster Henkka with your emotional response. In reality, Chiasson has been fine but he is being burried in Ottawa's forward depth. He should be traded to get a better opportunity elsewhere.

There's no "we have to save the face on the Spezza deal", this ship has sank long ago when Spezza got tired to be a scapegoat for everything. He was coming off an awful season, was over 31 y/o and had major back issues before, with only 1 year before becoming an UFA and big price tag for a player that is considered a bit "one dimensional". What did people expect to get back in return? Ryan Johansen? lolz.

We traded 7.0 vs 850K in return... Paul and Gagne are 2 very interesting pieces and Chiasson is maybe just a 3rd liner (so far in his career), Guptill was just a throw in for the AHL.

The return could maybe have been a bit better but NHL stars have some control on where they want to go so he refused a deal with Nashville. We got 4 assets back for a guy that would have signed a UFA contract with another team this summer. That's all we have to know. Let's MOVE ON and stop living in the past.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Chiasson was in his sophomore season last year.

Points per 60 minutes among all forwards that played at least 50 minutes in the NHL last season : 263th out of 502 forwards

If those statements highlighted were true... then why Chiasson wasn't the worst among his peers?

In his rookie season with Dallas, he was 195th out of 517 NHL forwards, which means that he would have been close to top-6 forward production with more minutes...

Defensively, his numbers seem to have improved last year as he went from 451/517 in 2013-14 to 161/502 in 2014-15 in terms of GA/60 (goals against when on the ice)

But sorry, maybe it's because Ottawa is the mecca of Hockey lol

Ugh.

I wish you weren't always so damned accurate with your posts. Everyone seems to dislike a lot of what you say, but far too often you are just dropping truth bombs, and people are just angry about the way you drop 'em.

You should start being wrong more often, then I can join in on the anti-Xspyrit bandwagon. Until then, you're my own personal Michalek. :laugh:

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012

Hit the nail on the head here. Doesn't really excel at anything, just... there. And now getting sniffs in the top 6 because, what... because he's underwhelming in the bottom 6? Or I suppose it's because others have been underwhelming in the top 6. Either way, doesn't deserve those chances (over others who are sitting/playing less minutes).

BigBush*

I've been a big supporter of Chiasson, but unfortunately Ive seen a lot of this as well. He's fighting the play a lot and hasnt been winning a lot of battles.

I dont want to give up on him but i cant help but think there are better guys in the system then him.

He's our 4th line RW, so its not like he plays a big role, but putting him in the top 6 is mind boggling

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I've been a big supporter of Chiasson, but unfortunately Ive seen a lot of this as well. He's fighting the play a lot and hasnt been winning a lot of battles.

I dont want to give up on him but i cant help but think there are better guys in the system then him.

He's our 4th line RW, so its not like he plays a big role, but putting him in the top 6 is mind boggling

Isn't Neil our 4th line RW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad