Alex Chiasson-UPDATE-Awarded $1.2 million for 1 year thru arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Chiasson >>> Neil, so I'm pretty happy to have him on the team.

Personally, I thought Neil had a positive impact in the playoffs while Chiasson was a ghost. They are very different players and Neil isn't 24 anymore but he can still be a serviceable player. Atleast a thing that can be said about Neil is that he gives his all night in night out and every single shift he will do something. I don't think that comparing Neil and Chiasson is the point here since there is other guys that are knocking on the door like Robinson per example who's ready to atleast have a serious look. Prince, Puempel, and even Paul are guys that could play right now and even if these guys don't necessarely play RW, if they show that they work hard and that the team could benefit from them playing, I don't think Cameron would hesitate to throw them in the lineup if needed like he's shown last season.

Chiasson won't be in the lineup if he comes out with the same effort he gave last year. I think he fully understands that and I doubt it happens but with atleast 3-5 guys waiting to step in it's not a thing where you can compare Neil and Chiasson... other guys could take his job too and I don't know if Chiasson is better than a guy like Robinson. Time will tell.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not sure why people would think that Chiasson or his agent looked foolish in any way, it's a business negotiation process. So he asked for $2.4 & got $1.2, half of what he was asking, so what? Imagine if he would have gotten what he asked for, people in here would be going crazy. I think it's a fair deal for both sides & don't think he looks foolish at all. If he has a decent season this yr he might just get what he asked for next yr at this time. $1.2 mil for a 4th line player who can put up over 20 pts & move up & down your lineup seems about right really & it's an easy salary to move, if they wanted to.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'm not surprised. Where else can you make that kind of money in your early 20s and retire by 30? Most other jobs out there require a lot of ladder climbing before hitting the big dollars. If you can do something for a few years, have enough green to be secure for life, then why not?

I don't blame guys for trying to get what they can when they can. Probably 99% of society would go for the money (when the money is that big). It also explains why guys tend to reach their peak so young (24-26)....if you're in it for the dough, chances are you'll flame out earlier than a guy who just loves the game (like a Jagr).

Of course, the crazy amount of training the guys do these days probably has an effect. No matter how much you love something, the extreme training year round these days and really make a pro athlete "fall out of love" with the sport in a hurry. Especially when that grind starts at such an early age now.

While Jagr might love the game, his gambling habit probably was a big incentive for him to continue to play!!!!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chiasson >>> Neil, so I'm pretty happy to have him on the team.

About the only thing going for Chiasson over Neil right now is age. Up to recently Neil has been a good asset ... more predictable, and reliable than Chiasson has shown yet and he brings other elements that Chiasson has not shown at all. If they were similar ages ... It would not be close for me to chose Neil over Chiasson.
I find it difficult to pick a roster player or a top prospect that I would chose Chiasson over with any conviction or confidence. As it stands now... I guess I would chose Chiasson over Greening but that would be about it.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If he still sucks next season, Sens fans will soon be chiasson him out of town.

I'll show myself the door now.

BigBush*

I don't dislike him. But unless he plays a lot better then last year he will be healthy scratched/traded/not resigned.

Lol yes most teams let their RFAs who had back to back 11 goal seasons just walk

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not surprised. Where else can you make that kind of money in your early 20s and retire by 30? Most other jobs out there require a lot of ladder climbing before hitting the big dollars. If you can do something for a few years, have enough green to be secure for life, then why not?

I don't blame guys for trying to get what they can when they can. Probably 99% of society would go for the money (when the money is that big). It also explains why guys tend to reach their peak so young (24-26)....if you're in it for the dough, chances are you'll flame out earlier than a guy who just loves the game (like a Jagr).

Of course, the crazy amount of training the guys do these days probably has an effect. No matter how much you love something, the extreme training year round these days and really make a pro athlete "fall out of love" with the sport in a hurry. Especially when that grind starts at such an early age now.

:amazed:

:laugh:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's fair. Hopefully he is motivated to prove he's worth more this year.

I hope so too; however, he should have been much more motivated last season! I doubt that he improves very much in terms of scoring as I did not observe great puck-handling, passing or shooting skills last year.

Othello*

Hopefully Chiasson improves next season and playes like he did during the first 20 or so games. He had 11 goals this season and could've had 6-8 more if he hadn't missed those easy tap ins.

He's easily better than Smith,Neil,Greening and was just as productive as Michalek until Michalek was put on Stones ultra hot line.

BigBush*

Hopefully Chiasson improves next season and playes like he did during the first 20 or so games. He had 11 goals this season and could've had 6-8 more if he hadn't missed those easy tap ins.

He's easily better than Smith,Neil,Greening and was just as productive as Michalek until Michalek was put on Stones ultra hot line.
I don't really think he played better during his first 20 games, he was just playing in the top 6 with good players (Chiasson had no business in the top 6)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Michalek is just way better the Chiasson. In every way. The worst Michalek ever played in the NHL and the best Chiasson ever played... Michalek is better.

Which makes sense cause Milan gets $4 million and Chiasson $1.2. Value per $ you start to have an argument... But Chiasson is gonna have to improve on last year just to stay in the league for more then a year or two. Milan is not nearly at that point in his career.

Othello*

Michalek is just way better the Chiasson. In every way. The worst Michalek ever played in the NHL and the best Chiasson ever played... Michalek is better.

I never said Chiasson was better. I expect their production to be similar or Chiasson to out produce him next year though.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I never said Chiasson was better. I expect their production to be similar or Chiasson to out produce him next year though.

I doubt that huge. I hope Chiasson can bring it next year. Now... He is probably a healthy scratch a lot given how deep we are.

Prediction. Milan 44 points. Chiasson 16 points.

Let's look back in June next year.

Feel free to look up this thread and call me on this though.

Othello*

I doubt that huge. I hope Chiasson can bring it next year. Now... He is probably a healthy scratch a lot given how deep we are.

That's a pretty bold prediction since Michalek has only scored 40+ points once in his career as a Senator.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
That's a pretty bold prediction since Michalek has only scored 40+ points once in his career as a Senator.

Considering the role Milo will likely play on the team when everyone is healthy, I don't think 40+ points will happen. However, I think he will get at least 15 more points than Chiasson. There is a big difference in skill and overall play here. Milo got 39 pts in 66 games last season so 40 definitely isn't out of the realm of possibility if everything goes well, though.

I would be happily surprised if Chiasson broke 30 points. But I think he gets less than 25.

BigBush*

You think Chiasson is going to be scratched a lot? For who?

And what depth are you talking about?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I bet Chiasson gets waived at some point next season. :sarcasm:

Honestly though, i wouldn't be surprised if he is no longer a Senator come next offseason.

I do hope he is useful for us though.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think Chiasson will have to earn is opportunities to play above the 4th line. Last year he got chances to see what he could do. The top 3 lines will be harder to crack this year with Stone and Ryan now solidified there. Michalek is much more versatile. Will likely start on the 3rd line and will be 1st alternate on the top 2 wings when needed. He will play with better players and have more opportunities. He is obviously better than Chiasson at anyrate IMO. I can see Chiasson and Neil splitting time as well. With the Players coming up behind him from Bingo .. he is not an automatic to move up the right side either if someone can't play. Playing on the 4th line most of the time it will be hard for him to get 25 pts. If he plays better that will be positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca