Alex Chiasson-UPDATE-Awarded $1.2 million for 1 year thru arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBush*

Big score chiasson! I never would have guessed Alex would be a millionaire in the NHL, maybe he got paid for potential? He looks so average but who knows maybe he will be good for us

lol man its the NHL, its hard to find a player that makes less then a million unless they are on their entry level contract

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Silfverberg had a better season than Chiasson did last year and only got 850K. I think the sens could have saved further dollars if they made their initial offer less.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1 yr $1.2 mil is a very fair offer for Chiasson & if he wants more than that than he will have to prove he is worth more than that. My guess is that he may be able to live up to that contract but I doubt he gets much better than he is now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is packaged & traded this coming season, I think the organization likes & wants to see Buddy Robinson in his place.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
According to TSN, Chaisson was asking for $2.475 mil in arbitration. Not sure what his agent was thinking.

Better aim high, negotiation tactics but it didn't work that much apparently. Maybe if they asked 1.8 instead, Sens would have signed him at 1.5 without going to the arbitration process. Who knows?

Pretty fair ruling imo...Alex should fire his agent who clearly had no idea what he was doing going in with such an inflatated number.

One thing I wish is that we stop demonizing players come payday on here every time a co tract comes to term.

Yeah really, would we aim for the lowest salary possible if we were in their place?

Now that Alex Chiasson has been awarded $1.2M for next season, and from what I can gather is that the Sens do not have long range plans for him......

Why not move him for a pick and free up a spot for a prospect as I keep hearing how good Ottawa's development system it is time to put that to the test up top next season..........................

Well Zeke, check the number of guys under 25 y/o playing with the Sens right now... I think it has be tested now...

God Says No

Believe you me, I did not get offended nor mad. I just felt I had to respond since it was targeted towards me in particular. I do understand though that the internet is serious business.

You may say that you don't hate this place, but your every post contradicts this. Also, your condescension is a highlight of every post. So you may rethink what you actually say.

Yeah, micklebot is usually solid and I enjoy his posts but his base is stats. Which is great. I understand my views may not be the norm, which is maybe why it touches a nerve with you. Don't know. But let re-iterate that it was my opinion that Chiasson is on the downward swing and won't amount to much. Also, BM's love for big players clouded his judgement. Something similar to our own resident and loved "Aragorn". Hence, he was duped. Whether Chiasson or Paul was the main piece is up to debate. But *I* believe (making it clear so you don't get confused) Chiasson was the main piece. He was made out to be the top 6 power forward that BM has been on a quest to find for the past 5 years. Yet he's far from that. Ergo, BM was duped. I really hope Chiasson turns it around, because that is good news for the team I follow. But I'm not holding my breath.

If you want to go to a place where speculation and opinion is not the norm, then you are in the wrong place.

Well, it doesn't seem like you understood what I said but whatever I'll still try.

- lol internet is not serious business, but sorry if I like intelligent discussion over crap

- I don't hate this place at all, I actually enjoyed it for a long time even if there's a lot of ridiculous claims and biased opinions. What improved my experience drastically a few months ago (even if I don't read and post a lot) is that I have put about 20 posters on ignore so I am not quoting a ton of bad posts anymore. It became a lot simpler, not sure why I waited so long to start putting posters on ignore, it was like a mental block. Now for the rest of what you said, you can hate me all you want, I really don't care as I have never hated anybody in my life (even if I could have) so flame away. Like I said, nothing personal, but I can't force you not to take it personal. For the condescending thing, it's a matter of interpretation, I could say the same thing just because you replaced my words with "blabla" but lol it will take a lot more than that to offend me. Remember, reading on internet or texting are not among the best forms of communication, you actually get a low % of the message's intention. Well, I'm not very good to explain that in English but make some research about these forms of communication, it's not very accurate.

- Yes Chiasson was the main piece, he was already a NHL player, young 3rd liner with size, already 35 pts with upside. What's not to like?

- Your posts don't "touch a nerve with me" because they are not the norm (actually I am pretty smooth person, I am very relax while reading HF. Not because I am incisive on some of my opinions that I am not relax). I said I found some of them very good but sometimes it is biased and off base, just a personal opinion. Like you said, it's a place for opinions, no?

- Aragorn might have a size bias but he is a good fair poster and will never end up in my ignore list as he is respectful to players, coaches and GMs. And his posts are mostly based on substance.

- I'll let you have your opinion on Chiasson and BM (only talking about that situation), I know nothing can be done to change it as you are probably entitled to your opinion like most people. I still think it is way-off and biased. It's my right no? Or is it like illegal to say that? In the end, that you say about BM that he got "duped" with Chiasson is pure speculation based on "I still don't know what". I have no idea how you could know that unless you listened to phone conversations between Murray and Nill. But whatever, let's just agree to disagree.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Better aim high, negotiation tactics but it didn't work that much apparently. Maybe if they asked 1.8 instead, Sens would have signed him at 1.5 without going to the arbitration process. Who knows?

-snip-

It's one thing to aim high, it's another to look foolish. Asking for well over two mil just looks bizarre.

Of course, we have no idea what the negotiations were before arbitration. There's always a chance his agent did ask for something around 1.8 and the Sens said no, so the agent went over the moon high to try and get it in arbitration.

BigBush makes a really good point though.....poor Pageau is making less than Chiasson. Chiasson better be buying the little fella a whole lot of lunches next year. :laugh:

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
At that money and for at least this next season it's my feeling that they want Chiasson to play a different, harder to play against 4th line defensive style and compete for a spot with Neil and possibly Robinson (edge not to fight). Possibly if Lazar could nail down the 4th line centre then Chiasson could move up to his spot on the 3rd line. A lot will depend on where they see other players fit e.g. They already have Turris, Z-Bad, Pageau and Smith who now is their only left draw centre so it's pretty hard to move Lazar there except on an injury fill-in basis. Unfortunately for Chiasson his best chance comes from the left wing where the competition is Prince and Puempel. I'm not suggesting Chiasson can play there but with MacArthur, Michalek and Hoffman (I left Greening out for now) on the left if Ryan moved over to the left then every current RW moves up a line and has a spot but then that means Michalek or Hoffman gets bumped to 4th line duty and there is no real roster spot in the 12 for Prince or Puempel. There may still be room for a 13th or even a 14th forward but that too will depend on how many D they keep this year and what happens with Greening.

I'm pretty sure the Sens brass has thought of all that and it will come down to how the players (especially Chiasson and some other newer/younger players) perform and fight to earn a spot. The team is getting better so nothing will be handed to them. When you start playing with the roster on paper it's pretty tricky to juggle players and maintain a balance of different skill sets while keeping enough extra "near ready" quality players for the future to replace those who have little term left on their contracts such as Neil and Phillips. You'd hate to give away or have one or two "youngish" guys stolen on waivers when you might need them part way through the next season.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You would think that this might negatively affect the agent's reputation as well. "Hi, I'm the guy who looked like a fool at the Alex Chiasson arbitration. I want to be your agent now also." Everyone gets one whiff now and then, but that's a cut throat business and you can't afford many of those.

This is a make or break year for Chaisson. With a low salary and a one year deal, he's an easy guy to sit in the press box, waive, etc. he'll have to prove his value right from day one in camp.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Same agent as White. Wonder if he stays the course. He way over-valued Chiasson at 2.4+

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Good deal ,the term is what,s best .If he doesnt cut it he will be easy to get rid of

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You would think that this might negatively affect the agent's reputation as well. "Hi, I'm the guy who looked like a fool at the Alex Chiasson arbitration. I want to be your agent now also." Everyone gets one whiff now and then, but that's a cut throat business and you can't afford many of those.

This is a make or break year for Chaisson. With a low salary and a one year deal, he's an easy guy to sit in the press box, waive, etc. he'll have to prove his value right from day one in camp.

Isn't like 3 times in the last 3 or 4 seasons a player even went to arbitration? I don't think if that is the case anyone can tell if the agent did a good or bad job with his ask. Clearly the Sens were not that interested in signing Chiasson and did not fear arbitration. I don't think anyone did a bad job. That is why there is arbitration. In the rare case a team and player can't agree.

Chiasson got what he probably deserved and it all worked out like it is supposed to.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Isn't like 3 times in the last 3 or 4 seasons a player even went to arbitration? I don't think if that is the case anyone can tell if the agent did a good or bad job with his ask. Clearly the Sens were not that interested in signing Chiasson and did not fear arbitration. I don't think anyone did a bad job. That is why there is arbitration. In the rare case a team and player can't agree.

Chiasson got what he probably deserved and it all worked out like it is supposed to.

Yeah I agree. Fair deal for both sides, maybe if his agent had played it better he'd had gotten 1.5M but that was as much as he'd realistically get even in FA.

There are quite a few arbitration horror stories, and Garrioch on tsn alluded to Chiasson not having the mental toughness to go through the hearing. I just can't see the Sens having to be harsh on him to get this decision, his play just wasn't that good, and while he had size his defensive and offensive games are widely inconsistent. Bridge deal to prove he belongs or Sens make room for an up and coming prospect is the ideal situation for everyone except Chiassons agent's bank account.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's one thing to aim high, it's another to look foolish. Asking for well over two mil just looks bizarre.

Of course, we have no idea what the negotiations were before arbitration. There's always a chance his agent did ask for something around 1.8 and the Sens said no, so the agent went over the moon high to try and get it in arbitration.

BigBush makes a really good point though.....poor Pageau is making less than Chiasson. Chiasson better be buying the little fella a whole lot of lunches next year. :laugh:

Agreed, it didn't look reasonable so it might have an opposite effect in the end. Yeah, we have no idea how it went, I really wonder if what you said could be true... like if the Sens said no to Chiasson's side offer, so they went even higher. That would be more childish than professional though. I'm not sure they went higher on their 2nd offer so my theory is they kept the same amount and said "we'll wait for arbitration"

Chiasson's side basically wanted Greening money, but Colin was a lot more proven when he got his extension. That he busted and isn't worth it anymore has nothing to do with contract negotiations and Alex's agent should know that (probably did but...)

Pageau didn't have arbitrations rights though but he's very cool, not looking for big money yet. Just wants to play and prove himself. Special player, highly motivated by the passion of the game. You know what is funny, I have been told by ex athletes that many guys are in pro sports for money mainly. They don't even LOVE their sport, but they're good at it so it's a good way to make money...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Chia saying good stuff on 1200 right now.

Sorry guys, but i like chiasson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Agreed, it didn't look reasonable so it might have an opposite effect in the end. Yeah, we have no idea how it went, I really wonder if what you said could be true... like if the Sens said no to Chiasson's side offer, so they went even higher. That would be more childish than professional though. I'm not sure they went higher on their 2nd offer so my theory is they kept the same amount and said "we'll wait for arbitration"

Pageau didn't have arbitrations rights though but he's very cool, not looking for big money yet. Just wants to play and prove himself. Special player, highly motivated by the passion of the game. You know what is funny, I have been told by ex athletes that many guys are in pro sports for money mainly. They don't even LOVE their sport, but they're good at it so it's a good way to make money...

I'm not surprised. Where else can you make that kind of money in your early 20s and retire by 30? Most other jobs out there require a lot of ladder climbing before hitting the big dollars. If you can do something for a few years, have enough green to be secure for life, then why not?

I don't blame guys for trying to get what they can when they can. Probably 99% of society would go for the money (when the money is that big). It also explains why guys tend to reach their peak so young (24-26)....if you're in it for the dough, chances are you'll flame out earlier than a guy who just loves the game (like a Jagr).

Of course, the crazy amount of training the guys do these days probably has an effect. No matter how much you love something, the extreme training year round these days and really make a pro athlete "fall out of love" with the sport in a hurry. Especially when that grind starts at such an early age now.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't dislike him. But unless he plays a lot better then last year he will be healthy scratched/traded/not resigned.

Yeah, this has nothing to do with his character or whether he's a nice guy or not. This has everything to do with his performance on ice. I'd love for the kid to be a force, this would mean we could roll 4 lines. But he's shown he kills every line he's been on so far.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don't dislike him. But unless he plays a lot better then last year he will be healthy scratched/traded/not resigned.

agree. he seems to genuinely like it here, like all the guys, and is committed to improving on his weaknesses.

hopefully he skates, skates, skates this off season. a couple steps quicker would really help him.
oh and works on his shot accuracy.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He knows what he needs to do to get better. He'll have a chance to play on the 3rd line with good players(Pageau, Lazar, Michalek, Puempel, Prince etc.) and I hope he can come in and be the player that goes to the net, goes in the corners and that plays a more dominant game. He looked like he didn't know his role last season and wasn't doing the things he needed to do in order to be successful. I disliked the Chiasson I saw last season , I don't think he even deserved to be in the lineup for most of last season since we had plenty of other options who deserved to have a chance and could've at the very least done a similar job to what Chiasson was doing. He got a good reality check with the arbitration process, and he gets a 1 year contract and he'll need to show more if he wants to stay in Ottawa past this season. I still think he can be a valuable support player if he is more consistant in his efforts to drive the net and follow the play/ his teammates but he needs to be much much better than last season.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I don't know if Chiasson is able to play LW IIRC I saw him play it a couple of times.

If so, some will disagree, but I think they will try to make him replace Condra. Chiasson is not the fastest skater but he is good along the boards and around the net and could fit very well with Pageau and Lazar as an energy line.

I think he has some good tools just has to control his stick a bit more while on the forecheck as he will often get a weird hook on the dmen while going into the corners resulting in minors. I think he will improve and be a better player this year and find a role on this team.

If some posters in here place Greening in the lineup while the guy is done I don't see how Chiasson doesn't crack the lineup. Looking back at this thread opinions change so quickly on the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad