Alex Chiasson hearing? upd: suspended for 1 game

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I’m here for all the leafs fans arguing anything done after the game is over is heinous and disgusting, a few weeks after defending Muzzin shooting a puck at a guy after the game.

Let's see. Muzzin flips a puck at Tkachuk vs. Vesey getting what looks like the butt end of a stick to the head. Yep, clearly the same things. Muzzin also was taking out his frustration on Tkachuk after losing that game to the Flames, like Chiasson. Oh wait.
One was an act of violence, while the other was not.

The two incidents are not at all comparable.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
The NHL is weird. I see it was pre meditated but this stuff goes on all the time.

unless there’s concern because it’s after the game is over?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Ha ha..... upon reflection.... no, I'm really not. You caught me. I realize now I was being a bad person. I should have anticipated the translucent rice paper qualities of some posters -- and avoided making note of something that I found humorous given the strong likelihood that it, while true, might cause hurt feelings.

While it is ok, to roughhouse in the backyard, one should not be rough and careless in a butterfly conservatory. I will be better.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Phew, I was sitting here worried that I might have made you angry.
Excellent. We're on the same page then and most of all that you are ok, too. I was a bit worried for a second. Huge relief.

So with that out of the way, here's my breakdown:

0 Games for the crosscheck itself - based on threshold during games.
1 Game for doing it after whistle/siren ending game.
1 Game for frightening Jimmy.

That last bit is important. I can tolerate a lot, but bullying will not do in a hockey game.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
What a bush league thing to do. Sure, it wasn't overly vicious, but it also was at the end of the game, when a penalty is nothing. So give him a game.
I agree.. it was at the end of the game when everyone on the ice.. It could have lead to a full brawl on the ice and that will be ugly

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well, that's what the rule book says. Honestly, this is probably one of the dumbest posts I've read on the mainboards. You're saying 'here come the whiny Leafs fans' and then state that people are here quoting the actual rule book that is being used to judge the incident. The same rule book that earned him the hearing in the first place? Okay.

You realize Leafs fans aren't the ones who called Chiasson up and set up a hearing, correct? I mean, we have much bigger issues right now, like Freddy vs Hutch type issues. If he got called for instigating by the refs after the final horn, by the very rule book that you're bitching Leafs fans talking about, that's a 10 game suspension. This is like Leafs fans arguing that Clarkson got 10 games or 6 games or whatever it was when he came off the bench to protect Kessel vs the Sabres. Yeah, it's a dumb rule but it's still a suspension.

ya Muzzin got nothing , so same for Chiasson, possibly a fine.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Nah something like that deserves a suspension for the season.

I'm glad you like chicken shit plays where a scrub chases someone down in the dying seconds and gets his stick up high, but I think it should be dealt with harshly.

Sticks up high or a punch to the face to an unsuspecting player at the buzzer deserves a game unless something proceeded it (like Muzzin flipping the puck at Tkachuk). These guys can take a number and remember for the next game instead.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
I'm glad you like chicken shit plays where a scrub chases someone down in the dying seconds and gets his stick up high, but I think it should be dealt with harshly.

Sticks up high or a punch to the face to an unsuspecting player at the buzzer deserves a game unless something proceeded it (like Muzzin flipping the puck at Tkachuk). These guys can take a number and remember for the next game instead.
Relax there was a little bit of sarcasm there because Chiasson has been terrible for the Oilers and still gifted prime minutes so losing him would actually be helpful but hey get a little higher on your soapbox don't think everyone heard you yet.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Relax there was a little bit of sarcasm there because Chiasson has been terrible for the Oilers and still gifted prime minutes so losing him would actually be helpful but hey get a little higher on your soapbox don't think everyone heard you yet.

Not so much a soapbox as 'here's a thing that happens and here's my reasonable take for what the league should do about it'. I like toughness. Sticks up high and getting punchy on players just standing there isn't being tough although to be fair the refs should be on that and they usually are.

And no I couldn't care less if Carrier caught a 1 game suspension for doing stupid things on occasion.

Edit: and for the record if it were a more important player like Drai then yes they should have a double standard and not throw the book at him.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They are doing this to avoid smith’s embarrassment of a dive. Has he ever been fined?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Did Smith dive there?

It looked like he accidentally ate Bear's stick and then blamed it on Soup who was nowhere near the net.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Chiasson has always been a greasy plug that pulls this kind of shit when no one will make him answer for it. Was the same with the Caps and Flames too.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Did Smith dive there?

It looked like he accidentally ate Bear's stick and then blamed it on Soup who was nowhere near the net.

If I remember right Hyman clipped him, Smith didn't see who did it, so he went after the nearest player in a white jersey

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Stutzle took a cross check to the back of the neck from Chiarot with 3 seconds, left in a game, no penalty, nothing supplemental, so nothing for Chiasson.
Chiasson's didn't come close to as bad as the Chiarot one.

Reactions: Draiskull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad