Alex Chiasson hearing? upd: suspended for 1 game

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Good for the Leafs to not turn an isolated incident between 2 players into a bigger issue. This easily could have been a 20 player hug fest.

Dude could be looking at 10 games. Is 10 games warranted for that? No, not in a vacuum and certainly not if it was in between shifts during regulation .... but the league needs a strong deterrent to players taking liberties after games when you have whole teams on the ice.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I’m here for all the leafs fans arguing anything done after the game is over is heinous and disgusting, a few weeks after defending Muzzin shooting a puck at a guy after the game.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I’m here for all the leafs fans arguing anything done after the game is over is heinous and disgusting, a few weeks after defending Muzzin shooting a puck at a guy after the game.

Let's see. Muzzin flips a puck at Tkachuk vs. Vesey getting what looks like the butt end of a stick to the head. Yep, clearly the same things. Muzzin also was taking out his frustration on Tkachuk after losing that game to the Flames, like Chiasson. Oh wait.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have you ever thought that maybe the players are the ones who don’t want that line together?

I can't imagine why that would be. The players want to win. They won a lot with that line together.

There is a small conspiracy theory that McDavid insists on having either Leon or RNH on his line, but I wouldn't give it much credence.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I just said it was amusing -- that's all. Certainly didn't mean to rustle any gossamer thin skins. My apologies.

Are you sincere about your apology though?

Last edited by a moderator:

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I can't imagine why that would be. The players want to win. They won a lot with that line together.

There is a small conspiracy theory that McDavid insists on having either Leon or RNH on his line, but I wouldn't give it much credence.
It’s just very odd that Tippet has done almost every combination but that. It leads to believe their is more going on behind the picture. It’s very tin foil hat ish, but it’s odd

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It’s just very odd that Tippet has done almost every combination but that. It leads to believe their is more going on behind the picture. It’s very tin foil hat ish, but it’s odd
He was running RNH - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi in the first Toronto game in the third period.

Refusing to put DRY together.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Babcock stuck Auston with rookies and 3rd/4th line players and old man Marleau before he consistently saw ice time with Mitch and Willy. I can guarantee you, even though Auston was producing with lesser players, he would much rather play with Willy/ Mitch. Just because McDavid can carry ECHLers on his wings doesn't mean he doesn't want some quality guys. I get that Jesse Puljujarvi has been great for your guys this year, but he's still a kid in this league compared to McDavid and he doesn't have the hockey IQ that's quite on McDavid's level. JP to me when I watch him looks like a guy that's utilizing his body to create space for him and he's plowing through competition instead of making really smart, small plays. This is nice to see since that was his calling card as a kid and he strayed away from it and suffered. I think you need guys who have a higher IQ with McDavid who can give him little touch-and-go options.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Let's see. Muzzin flips a puck at Tkachuk vs. Vesey getting what looks like the butt end of a stick to the head. Yep, clearly the same things. Muzzin also was taking out his frustration on Tkachuk after losing that game to the Flames, like Chiasson. Oh wait.

You’ve got guys in here quoting rules that say anyone instigating after the game should get 10 games...

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You’ve got guys in here quoting rules that say anyone instigating after the game should get 10 games...
Well, that's what the rule book says. Honestly, this is probably one of the dumbest posts I've read on the mainboards. You're saying 'here come the whiny Leafs fans' and then state that people are here quoting the actual rule book that is being used to judge the incident. The same rule book that earned him the hearing in the first place? Okay.

You realize Leafs fans aren't the ones who called Chiasson up and set up a hearing, correct? I mean, we have much bigger issues right now, like Freddy vs Hutch type issues. If he got called for instigating by the refs after the final horn, by the very rule book that you're bitching Leafs fans talking about, that's a 10 game suspension. This is like Leafs fans arguing that Clarkson got 10 games or 6 games or whatever it was when he came off the bench to protect Kessel vs the Sabres. Yeah, it's a dumb rule but it's still a suspension.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I feel so sorry for you. I hope the trauma of watching a man get murdered in cold blood from a pillow soft puck toss eases over time.

Reactions: Petrus and nobody

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Vesey should get 3-5 games just so we know he’s learned his lesson

I really don't think 3-5 games is going to teach him anything. That's just a slap on the wrist. If you really want him to realize what he's done, you have to be a little more severe and give him at least 15-20 games.

Reactions: MoreMogilny

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Well, that's what the rule book says. Honestly, this is probably one of the dumbest posts I've read on the mainboards. You're saying 'here come the whiny Leafs fans' and then state that people are here quoting the actual rule book that is being used to judge the incident. The same rule book that earned him the hearing in the first place? Okay.

You realize Leafs fans aren't the ones who called Chiasson up and set up a hearing, correct? I mean, we have much bigger issues right now, like Freddy vs Hutch type issues. If he got called for instigating by the refs after the final horn, by the very rule book that you're bitching Leafs fans talking about, that's a 10 game suspension. This is like Leafs fans arguing that Clarkson got 10 games or 6 games or whatever it was when he came off the bench to protect Kessel vs the Sabres. Yeah, it's a dumb rule but it's still a suspension.

I agree, we should call the rule book even. So you’d agree that Muzzin instigated something with Tkachuk after the game and deserves a 10 game suspension? Or is that as stupid as it sounds and these are both nothing plays really?

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Good for the Leafs to not turn an isolated incident between 2 players into a bigger issue. This easily could have been a 20 player hug fest.

Dude could be looking at 10 games. Is 10 games warranted for that? No, not in a vacuum and certainly not if it was in between shifts during regulation .... but the league needs a strong deterrent to players taking liberties after games when you have whole teams on the ice.
I don't think Chiason will get nor deserves anything like 10 games.

I am quite impressed that the refs handled it properly by penalizing the player rather than turning a blind eye,

I think any supplemental discipline will be consistent with the nature of the assault, which was slight, and would not attract any supplemental discipline at all if it happened between the whistles.

However, the NHL has has a significant history of violence outside the boundaries of a hockey game, and I think it will need to do something to reinforce the point that when the game is over, its over.

Probably just a fine will do. Possibly a very short suspension.

Last edited:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I agree, we should call the rule book even. So you’d agree that Muzzin instigated something with Tkachuk after the game and deserves a 10 game suspension? Or is that as stupid as it sounds and these are both nothing plays really?

I mean, if the refs had called a penalty on Muzz for instigating and he got 10 games, I wouldn't sit here and blame Tkachuk or Flames fans. It's the rules I would have an issue with and a judgement call by the ref.

Your logic (lack there of) is baffling.

Also for the record, I don't think you'll find many Leafs fans here who give a single f*** about this incident. We want Chiasson in the lineup. The dude is trash and it helps us. And very very few of us are fans of Vesey. Heck, if you read some of the posts here, we're trying to get Vesey suspended more than Chiasson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad