News Article: Al Trautwig taking a leave of absence.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Kenny Albert has the acumen but not the voice. John Giannone has neither. I think Howie Rose was by far the best hockey broadcaster in the region and wish the Rangers could get him to come back to hockey. I understand he does only Mets radio now.

My dream team would be Rose and Dave Maloney with Steve Valiquette between the benches.

Howie Rose is 65. He’s never going to be hired as a replacement for Sam.

Ideally, you want someone who will be around for 35-40 years like we got with Sam, which is someone who starts out in their 30s. As it is, Kenny is 51.

Reactions: Crease

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
Howie Rose is 65. He’s never going to be hired as a replacement for Sam.

Ideally, you want someone who will be around for 35-40 years like we got with Sam, which is someone who starts out in their 30s. As it is, Kenny is 51.

Maybe Sam can retire now and be replaced by Marc Staal?

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
If you listen closely on radio, Kenny is always behind the play. Listen to the crowd reactions. He gets exposed on TV.

You completely miss the point. Every announcer is behind the play. On radio, you always hear the crowd roar before the announcer yells "Goal!" That's what I listen for. My point is that Kenny Albert is all business on the radio but meanders like the others when on TV, throwing in extraneous details instead of concentrating on the game. He's not nearly as bad a Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti (or even worse, John Davidson) but I want the announcer to announce the game, not tell me what he ate for dinner.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I wish you could take the Islanders MSG team (sans Goring) and make them the Rangers MSG crew. Or even just Burke.

Alas...

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Most radio guys are a bit behind. They have to describe much more than the TV guys and it takes time. One thing I dislike about Lagreca is he's even farther behind than Kenny. A goal will happen and Lagreca is still describing the zone entry a full two hockey plays behind, and then will just rush the rest. Kenny is usually about 1 hockey play behind it seems to me.

"Deangelo enters the zone with speed(crowd ERUPTS),passesitacrossgetsthereturnandheeeeescorrrreeeesssssssssssss
As a former PXP announcer myself and one who has hired several you may have heard of (Bob Costas, Eli Gold, Don Stevens) I have to disagree. The best announcers are always on top of the play. When Dave Goucher was the Bruins radio guy (he now does VGK TV) I thought he was one of the best. The Capitals guy, John Walton, is pretty good and so is Joe Bowen of the Leafs. Some people can do radio just like some are better suited for TV. On TV, you narrate the picture. It's a lot easier gig.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Don't be so sure. Howie bleeds Rangers blue. He would love to be associated with the team again.

He might want it. It doesn’t matter. I don’t think MSG is likely to be interested in someone of retirement age when Sam decides to retire, which I don’t see as likely for still another few years.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
As a former PXP announcer myself and one who has hired several you may have heard of (Bob Costas, Eli Gold, Don Stevens) I have to disagree. The best announcers are always on top of the play. When Dave Goucher was the Bruins radio guy (he now does VGK TV) I thought he was one of the best. The Capitals guy, John Walton, is pretty good and so is Joe Bowen of the Leafs. Some people can do radio just like some are better suited for TV. On TV, you narrate the picture. It's a lot easier gig.
Disagree with what? The premise that most radio guys run behind the play? I’ll take your word, as I’ve only listened to the Rangers guys and both are currently eh with regards to this so I assumed that was the standard.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Disagree with what? The premise that most radio guys run behind the play? I’ll take your word, as I’ve only listened to the Rangers guys and both are currently eh with regards to this so I assumed that was the standard.
Years ago, I was critical of Kenny for his radio calls on these boards. He has improved but he is not technically that good. If you could have ever heard Eli Gold (now Alabama football announcer) call hockey, you would understand the difference.

Reactions: romba

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I wish you could take the Islanders MSG team (sans Goring) and make them the Rangers MSG crew. Or even just Burke.

Alas...

When the Isles had Rose and Jaffe, I watched quite a few Islanders games just because they were a great pair. Somehow they always have had well above average crews. Goring is a raving idiot but I think every team has to have one of those. At least it sure seems that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad